17. Final steps... Kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EasyPzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: 17. Final steps... Kernel Reply with quote

I am rather new to Linux and are now installing Gentoo for the first time. I have previously used SuSE, Red Hat and Mandrake, but where is the challange in that?! :-)

I have a question regarding point 17 in the installation instructions. There is a Warning section that says that you have to enable Virtual Memory, Reiserfs, DMA etc. or your IDE disks will not be recognised. How do I do that? I am using Reiserfs on root.

Thanks for all the help I can get.

PS At the moment I am doing section 14 DS
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just run a make menuconfig when you are supposed to and work your way through everything. If you don't know what the option is choose help and usually there is a good description, and a note at the end that says something like "If you don't know what this is you don't need it" or "When in doubt, choose Y" They are usually good recommendations.
You need to make sure you include "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers" and "/dev file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)"

Other than that just pick what it says you need for your hardware and the feature you think you want it to have. If in doubt usually you can choose M and it will compile it as a module and only load it if it needs it.

When it talks about Reiserfs you need to enable that in File Systems if you plan on using any Reiser filesystems onany of your partitions.
Most of the other stuff should already be enabled, but you may need to pick support for your chipset and tell it to use DMA by default. It's not that hard if you slowly work your way through it.

My GPG/PGP Public key
EasyPzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch drakonite!

I am not there yet but I saw that 17.2 has a make menuconfig.

What system logger do you recommend in 17.3? Or does it not really matter which one I choose?
Esben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Just go with the recommendation... metalog Reply with quote

Any of the choices should be fine... personally, I use metalog, which has worked without a hitch for over a year now :P
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't know enough about loggers to be able to pick one (I'm the same way ;)) then install the one it says you might want to try because "people seem to like it" or something like that... IIRC that's metalog.
AFAIK metalog gives a little better performance because it caches disk writes. If you dont' know anything about the logs this is definatly a good thing since you won't have to worry about it anyways ;)

My GPG/PGP Public key
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: