Repartitioning
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusWizardo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Repartitioning Reply with quote

My harddrive at the moment is set up like so:

1GB /boot (ext3)
1GB swap
4.7GB FAT32
8.3 GB unpartitioned
Rest of 30 GB / (ReiserFS)

The /, Swap, and FAT32 share an extended partition. This is all because I recently deleted my NTFS.
Needless to say, it's a mess - and I've been running out of space. I want to change it to be the following:
1GB /boot (ext3)
1GB swap
3GB /home (ReiserFS)
Rest / (ReiserFS)

I can easily create /home and a new swap onto the unpartioned space and then nuke the old swap, but is it possible to resize / and remove the extended partition without nuking it?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusWizardo,

You should be able to move your system into 8.3Gb easily and make /home the 30Gb. That saves resizing things. 8.3Gb will be cramped for larger builds, e.g. Open Office, but there are ways round that.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
boogerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to why you want 1GB for /boot. I have 200MB and I use something like 5% of it. You might consider putting some of that space somewhere else unless you have some special need for that much space there.
MagusWizardo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
MagusWizardo,

You should be able to move your system into 8.3Gb easily and make /home the 30Gb. That saves resizing things. 8.3Gb will be cramped for larger builds, e.g. Open Office, but there are ways round that.

The problem with this is that it doesn't fit well with how I use my system. My / is currently 8.1 GB (the 30GB is my whole harddrive), and I had to delete some stuff recently, and unmerge some less necesary programs, because I couldn't write to any files (I noticed it first with /etc/portage/package.*) for a lack of space. I also plan to install some games, which would take up even more space (I think that a full install of BG2 for example is ~4GB), and I tend to only work with small files in my home folder (at the moment it's mostly text and wordprocessing, with a couple of presentations and alot of photos thrown in) - a few GB there is more than enough for me.
But I've been thinking; I've now gotten my total usage down to 5.5 GB... are any filesystems easily resizable (without data loss)? If there are any, I could do some juggling quite easily, and I don't specifically need ReiserFS for anything.

boogerman wrote:
I'm curious as to why you want 1GB for /boot. I have 200MB and I use something like 5% of it. You might consider putting some of that space somewhere else unless you have some special need for that much space there.

Mostly just me being pedantic. I like having partitions with round numbers of GBs.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusWizardo,

Is 1/16Gb a round number or even 1/32Gb?
Both are adequate for /boot

There are tools around that claim to change partiton size without damaging your data.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: