[solved] emerge without internet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: [solved] emerge without internet Reply with quote

I'm new to Gentoo and I just installed it. Everything worked fine, but I wander if it possible to use emerge without an Internet connection.
With SuSE, Mandrake and Debian I can tell YaST, DrakConf and apt-get to use many different type of sources: URL's, local directories, DVD, CDROM etc.
At home I don't have Internet, but with the others distros this is not a problem.

Last edited by scoaze on Sun May 08, 2005 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge without internet Reply with quote

scoaze wrote:
I'm new to Gentoo and I just installed it. Everything worked fine, but I wander if it possible to use emerge without an Internet connection.
With SuSE, Mandrake and Debian I can tell YaST, DrakConf and apt-get to use many different type of sources: URL's, local directories, DVD, CDROM etc.
At home I don't have Internet, but with the others distros this is not a problem.
Emerge normally gets its packages from the net. If you want to emerge something without network, you'll need to put the necessary files in /usr/portage/distfiles first

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
scoaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge without internet Reply with quote

I did it, but emerge always try to connect to the Internet
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge without internet Reply with quote

scoaze wrote:
I did it, but emerge always try to connect to the Internet
Then you have the wrong version or you are missing files for dependencies. BTW binary packages, like those on the packages cd should go in /usr/portage/packages/All and need to be emerge with -k or -K otherwise emerge will try to download the source package instead of using the binary package.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
scoaze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge without internet Reply with quote

I solved the problem.
My installation put the packages sources in "/portage/distfiles" but "/etc/make.conf" pointed to /usr/portage/distfiles !!!
Thanks for the hint.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: