Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Possible to disable SMP via gentoo install CD boot prompt?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrHogie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Possible to disable SMP via gentoo install CD boot prompt? Reply with quote

Hello -- I've tried searching the "install gentoo" forum for an answer, and I didn't find anything, so I apologize if this is a dupe.

I have a PPro 200 system on a weird Shuttle SMP board. The board is a dual PPro board, yet it only has one socket (the 2nd socket area is layed out on the board, but no socket was put on it). I have had a previous version of Gentoo running on it in the past (1.1 IIRC). After using the PPro for a DOS box, I'm trying to install Gentoo back on it w/ a 1.4RC1 cd. However, I'm running into a weird problem . . .

It refuses to load up my Enet drivers (Netgear FA310TX, using tulip.o driver) correctly. I have a Smoothwall 1.0 ISO (really sweet and easy Linux router/firewall distro) that I test-installed on the box, and it came up fine -- recognized the Enet card, pings other machines, etc. Whenever I used the Gentoo 1.4RC1 CD, it will load the driver, and set eth0 via ifconfig, but it will not ping, nor generate any traffic whatsoever. After doing some poking around in /proc, I think I found out why: The Gentoo Install CD was setting IRQ's greater than 15 (the Enet card was at IRQ 19). With a prevous Red Hat install, I remember that this board will boot with a SMP kernel, but it starts doing really really strange things.

What I'm wondering is: is there a way to disable SMP at the gentoo boot prompt? I know you can disable acpi/apm/etc., but I'm pretty sure without SMP it will work fine. If there is no way, is there anyway I can replace the kernel on the CD, or perhaps use a previous version of the Gentoo CD? If so, what are the differences?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: