Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to emerge genkernel without internet connection...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight_merz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: How to emerge genkernel without internet connection... Reply with quote

Please be kind, first time at Linux here...

Using an Emachines Notebook AMD64 mobility 3000+ , also using universal livecds for the 64 bit version of gentoo.

I was going through all the handbook manual, step by step, until I got to the "Configuring your kernel" step. It took me so long to get there so I decided to use genkernel to get done with, but at the end an error came up saying that it couldn't connect to some URLs listed...

I thought you didn't need internet to install gentoo with an Universal Livecd...

So I went to bed and the next morning I took my laptop to a cybercafe... but I realized that I couldn't pick up from where I left...!

help please ?
doubleagent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need an internet connection to use genkernel. when you type
Code:
#emerge genkernel
it should emerge genkernel from off of the cd. When I did it I don't recall it even connecting to a single url - it didn't need to. Everything is on the disc.

Hmmm... did you get the full iso - the large file, or the small one? If you got the small one you may need a connection - use the large iso.
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
knight_merz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply mate,

I don't have internet so as a matter of fact I go it from a company here in Australia about 8 months ago, but only now I decided to go ahead and install it... I'm pretty sure it's the "big iso" because it says Universal Live CD on it... and everything was working fine up until that part. Are you sure I don't need to configure something else in the "portage" or "USE flags" ???

Must admit I'm so lost with linux right now... The whole switching environments and going back and forth etc... I never know where I'm at if it's the cd or my hard drive etc !
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to start again where you left off:

1) boot from livecd
2) mount your partitions like you did before
3) chroot to the new environment like it is said on the handbook chrooting ...
4) try to emerge genkernel again

if step 4 fails, you can build your kernel manually it is also included in the handbook. imho, genkernel is so bloated anyway.

5) continue after installing the kernel like it is said on the handbook
knight_merz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info mate, this makes me a LOT more enthusiastic about continuing my Gentoo installation, still not sure about the partitions though, maybe I have to do them again...

Thanks once more.
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

knight_merz wrote:
Thanks for the info mate, this makes me a LOT more enthusiastic about continuing my Gentoo installation, still not sure about the partitions though, maybe I have to do them again...

Thanks once more.

you don't have to partition your drive again, if you do, you will loose all the files you have copied from the livecd, since you have partitioned your drive before, all you have to do is mount them and continue from there ;)
knight_merz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I know about that but the thing is I created my partitions with partition magic it created one "extended" with 3GB, one ext2 with 2.5GB and one swap with 512MB...

So as you see I have no "boot" partition ! So I dont know how to configure grub !

Thanks mate.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knight_merz wrote:
Yep, I know about that but the thing is I created my partitions with partition magic it created one "extended" with 3GB, one ext2 with 2.5GB and one swap with 512MB...

So as you see I have no "boot" partition ! So I dont know how to configure grub !

Thanks mate.

/boot is part of the naming, its usually just the 1st small partitions that houses bootup instrutions and some kernel images. You are going to need to repartition unless you have another linux installation because that would have created /boot in which case you just need to put in fstab and grub.conf where that partition is.
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

partition magic? 8O oh boy , why did you have to use that? anyway, it is perfectly alright if you don't have a boot parition as long as you have a root partition. having a different parition for boot is for safety and added security since you can choose to mount it automatically or not in fstab. the advantage of having a separate partition for boot and not mounting it automatically at boot time is that you won't accidentally damage, delete or do horrible stuff to your kernel, since kernels reside in /boot and is the heart of any OS.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you can have everything on one big partition but its just not wise. just put everything in /boot but dont make a /boot entry in fstab
knight_merz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I cant express my gratitude for your help !

I feel lik I'm atually starting to understand something (not my uni subjects that's for sure!).

I do understan that you want to give me options but what I really need is a solution for this, should I reformat, destroy, anihilate, etc my current Linux semi installation and start from scratch or should I use "FSTAB" whatever the heck that is to make "GRUB" "MOUNT" etc etc etc ????

Please bare with a complete noob, and be sure I am not as dumb as I may sound here!

Thanks once again.
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest you start from the beginning and follow ALL the steps in the handbook, since IMHO, the ones you have created is not very organized. :)

cheers!
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start from the beginning again, us partition magic (if you must) to create 3 partitions, as the handbook says. While you are there PRINT OFF THE HANDBOOK so you dont need to stop the installation.

FSTAB is the file thats tells the computer what partitions to mount in which directories and who can view them, have a look at part of mine:
Code:
# <fs>             <mountpoint>        <type>     <opts>            <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda1              /boot            ext2       auto,noatime          1 2
/dev/hda2              none             swap       sw                    0 0
/dev/hda3              /                reiserfs   noatime               0 1
/dev/hdb2              /mnt/storage     ntfs       auto,user,umask=000   0 0
/dev/hdd1              /mnt/windows     ntfs       auto,user,umask=000   0 0
/dev/hdd2              /mnt/fat32       vfat       auto,user,umask=000   0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0     /mnt/cdrom       auto       auto,user             0 0
/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy      auto       noauto                0 0
/dev/sda               /mnt/camera      usbfs      auto                  0 0

AlchEmysT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you forgot to copt over the distfiles from the cd. but yeah start over but in a VirtualMachine -VMWare or VirtualPC - till you get the hang of it. then do a real install.

i really don't know why that's no recommended more often. Would have saved me lots of headaches... and hours without a working computer.

http://isnoop.net/gmail/
give / get - gmail invites
upper20c
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, checking what it does i think that the problem is emerge looking for a kernel and patches different from the ones that come in thr distfiles, but i think you still can extract and compile from the sources in the distfiles, i dont know if this is possible, ill giveit a try, im using the universal CD 2005.0 for amd64
knight_merz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone, just to let you know

Quote:
I have the same problem, checking what it does i think that the problem is emerge looking for a kernel and patches different from the ones that come in thr distfiles, but i think you still can extract and compile from the sources in the distfiles, i dont know if this is possible, ill giveit a try, im using the universal CD 2005.0 for amd64

I've got 2004.1 Universal Live CD (actually 2 cds).

I've got a new computer now right beside my laptop so I dont have to keep "alt+f2" all the time to read the instructions... but still need to repartition my HD to add a new boot partition.

Hopefully I can manage to configure my own kernel and such...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: