losetup and dd images
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HippieJoe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: losetup and dd images Reply with quote

Well, not specific to Gentoo...but the image set I am trying to mount are of a Gentoo drive. Never mind my win98 naming scheme that is only for example, there are also 20 files to the set. Well here we go:

I am trying to use losetup to associate a ddimage to a loop back device. this works fine when the ddimage is 1 large file. for example:

losetup /dev/loop0 /image/win98.dd

however, the problem is, my dd files are broken into 2gb chunks. yes i could cat them into one large dd file however I do not want to do that, nor do i have the disc space or time. So i was trying a combination of commands to see if I could get the loop back to associate with a series of image files. for example, with image files:

win98.dd.001 win98.dd.002 win98.dd.003:

losetup /dev/loop0 win98.dd.00*
(no good this drops me to the help screen because it doesn't see a valid file to associate.)

losetup /dev/loop0 | cat win98.dd.00*
(no good either)

---

How could I "trick" losetup to think the series of dd image files which is really a dd image of one drive is a single file to associate with. again, i want to avoid:

cat win98.dd.00* > win98.dd
losetup /dev/loop0 win98.dd

that works already but takes much time and diskspace. Thank again and any advice is much apreciated.

HippieJoe
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: