Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhris wrote:

Well, not that I want to join in an argument, but I run Gentoo and Debian, and Debian Sarge (testing) has not yet seen KDE 3.4 either. As far as I know, Debian is not experimenting with a different package delivery system, so I think it's far from clear that this has been the cause of Gentoo's delay.

Sarge is apparently frozen now. I would expect much movement in the Debian camp until after Sarge is released.
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arainach wrote:
Your excuse for not being able to help debug it is valid; however, if you don't have the time to debug it, you're not exactly a prime candidate for complaining about how it's taking so long to debug it.

Okay not this again. Some people are actually just users. Some users dont debug, rarely file bug reports and are simply "users". There is absolutely nothing wrong with this senario.

Anyone has every right to complain about the current KDE debacle in gentoo no matter what or if they contribute. The fact is there are now two KDE distributions to debug. One of which has been broken apart "against its will" and is expected to work synonomously with the "standard groupings". To say that there would be less testing with the split build is ludicrous. If you participated in large scale commercial development projects (as in <2mil lines of code) you would know the fewer moving parts and permutations, the better. Split ebuilds in KDE dramatically increase your testing senarios by definition.

Gentoo has lost several people I know due to the lack of current gnome and KDE installs. gnome and KDE are tested before their respective leave the projects. There is no reason to double efforts unless you jack with their code or have a severely customized system.

Also, please define "stable". I have used both KDE 3.4 (via custom ebuilds) and gnome 2.10 (via ubuntu) since before they were even released with no problems (as in nothing to make me less productive). To me, that is stable as far as OSS is concerned. If I wanted a 2 year old system called "current", I would use debian.

There is an elephant in the room....
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally would suggest anyone has the right to complain. But in this case it seems to me someone is just bitching without any real reason to do so. Even worse, it can suggest some developer to think "oh, they want it, let's release it anyway" without some decent testing. That's not what I want.

If people are not prepared to wait a couple of months to get a package stable, well, it means those people are spoiled childs. If you want that package right now, well, just emerge ~x86. If you want it to be stable, test it (so we fall again in the above situation) or wait. I can't see what else can be done. If you feel right to complain, well, I think ppc and sparc people should be preparing for war. :?

Even if split ebuilds are the cause, well, if sometimes split ebuilds have been chosen (and it is right IMHO because they give Gentoo users much more flexibility... that's one of the reasons we run Gentoo, isn't it?) they have to be tested. Sooner or later this should have happened. When stable split ebuilds for XMMS came out I remember I had some tiny headache. Tiny because it was XMMS. I don't want to imagine what does it mean for KDE.
bur
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brullonulla put it very well, what's the problem anyway? It's not like the devs are forbidding to install 3.4, everyone is free to do so, just unmask the packages and there you go. I can't understand why anyone would switch to another distri just because of the masked builds. Do those people prefer to set up a whole new system over simply adding the needed commands to package-keywords?

So why all this complaining? If you think it's stable enough, then emerge it, if you think it's not then wait until it gets into x86. That's all.
ranmakun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread because I wanted to know whats happening with KDE.
Although many of you say that this is not caused by split ebuilds, it's true that this is the first time we have a delay like this. IMHO the if the monolitic KDE ebuilds build fine and work for most users they should be made stable, since it's supposed to have been tested by the KDE team. If there are real problems with the original KDE packages it will arise in the first days after it's relase as it happened once with a KDE relase that never went stable (I don't remember wich one), but if it builds ok on gentoo, I think that after 10 - 15 days it should go stable. After all, we all know that stable gentoo is not a super tested, super stable system anyway, it's just packages that seem to work well in most scenarios. I've been using KDE 3.4 monolitic ebuilds for a month now and didn't have any problems, and I mean ANY problems. It's even a lot faster for me that previous relases, so apart from updated software, users could benefit a lot by that.
If its the split ebuilds that are delaying this relase I really think they should be stay unstable and separate them from the monolithic ones, but just because it has problems with building the packages and making all of them work together. At the point the packages start to build without problems, as I said before, they should be made stable, KDE by itself has already been tested by the KDE team.
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who's interested I've found the answer I was looking for:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86898

I'm big enough to admit that I was wrong about the reasons for KDE 3.4 being delayed although I did say "The rest of this post assumes that the delay is being caused by the meta ebuilds" in my original post. My assumptions were based on those of others, the lack of information from the devs and the difficulty of finding this sort of information in the bugs database without already knowing specifics.

This does highlight a failing within the community though. All someone had to do was post a link to the bug I linked to and I would've thanked them and shut up. Alternatively people could've read and commented on my suggestions, admittedly based on a false assumption, instead of getting defensive, resorting to insults or name calling. If someone doesn't understand my points they could ask. This is how civilised conversation and debate works in the real world. This community is second to none when it comes to offering help but falls down when it comes to civilised debate. Most on-line forums suffer from this problem though.

I'll admit that some of the words I used might seem a little strong to some people but I really do care about Gentoo. I feel more passionately about Gentoo than I ever have for any other OS. Please don't shoot me down in flames for that.
JackDog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brullonulla wrote:
I normally would suggest anyone has the right to complain. But in this case it seems to me someone is just bitching without any real reason to do so.

That is where I think you are incorrect, there is a reason. Release testing is taking an order of magnitude longer for KDE 3.4 than past KDE installs. KDE releases used to take less than 14 days. The only difference is split ebuilds are involved. KDE3.4 built directly via konstruct works great on my box absolutely no problems (I have two separate installs).

ranmakun wrote:
At the point the packages start to build without problems, as I said before, they should be made stable, KDE by itself has already been tested by the KDE team.

Exactly. Unless there are known critical problems but this doesnt seem to be the case for the monolothic ebuilds. Having x86 and ~x86 is good, I simply disagree on where the line should be. If I wanted a super stable system, I would not use gentoo. By design, stability for desktop use will be lower than other distros. I would use suse, mandrake or another more commericalized distrobution if I "needed" stability (although I think gentoo is plenty stable even with over 200 packages unmasked on my box). If gentoo wants to start waiting longer, seriously, good for them, It just means this isnt the right distro for me personally. I guess I just want clarification on where the distro is heading. I originally liked gentoo because I could run the latest software easily. Easily being the keyword there.

On a side note, if KDE isnt stable when it releases. We should address the actual problem and talk to the real KDE devs, not hide the problem with complete system tests in every distribution. From my experience, KDE has released very stable code, they are definitely one of the most organized OSS projects in their weight class.
ranmakun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfraser33 wrote:

Do you really think this is the problem?, look at comment #23
Quote:

Hello KDE users,

If you use KDE 3.4 and GCC 3.4/4.0 (~x86, amd64 [what other archs?]), read on.
Otherwise, you can ignore this announcement.

This seems to affect systems with GCC 3.4/4.0, and these are ~x86 masked, so they wont affect a stable gentoo user. In fact, if it's for this bug, KDE will work better on x86 than on ~x86!! :twisted:
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranmakun wrote:
andyfraser33 wrote:

Do you really think this is the problem?, look at comment #23
Quote:

Hello KDE users,

If you use KDE 3.4 and GCC 3.4/4.0 (~x86, amd64 [what other archs?]), read on.
Otherwise, you can ignore this announcement.

This seems to affect systems with GCC 3.4/4.0, and these are ~x86 masked, so they wont affect a stable gentoo user. In fact, if it's for this bug, KDE will work better on x86 than on ~x86!! :twisted:

I probably shouldn't admit this but I emailed Caleb on the Gentoo KDE team to ask whether it was a KDE bug or the split ebuilds holding things up. He provided the link to the bug which was very kind and generous of him. I'd like to stress that I don't make a habit of emailing the devs and it's not the done thing but I had my reasons.

See comment #8 and the link to this bug in the KDE Bugzilla (specifically comment #27 there). It does seem odd that a bug that should only affect the ~x86 branch is holding up the stable branch but maybe the devs got too focused on fixing it or maybe I just don't understand it fully. Either way we now have a definitive answer.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfraser33: Thanks for the link since it means I should be able to go for 3.4 on my system.

IMO: Expect problems when you're running any beta version of critical software.

As to your complaint about lack of info from the devs. I have to agree. Once it was realized that this involved ~x86 and the latest version of GCC (which is still in beta afaik), they should have hard masked it until the solution came down from the GCC and kde devs especially since it appears to build fine using GCC 3.3.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
bcmm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bug was a bit confusing....

Is KDE 3.4 masked mainly because it has known serious bugs/might break completely or because it hasn't yet been tested enough to show that it doesn't have bugs?

Has anyone reading this unmasked it, and does it work OK for them?
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using it since it hit ~x86. Only problems I've had were that kasteriods crashed (the gcc hidden thing) and theres a problem with recurring events in korganizer.
bcmm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how is general stablity? Have you tried the transperency features in kwin, and do they crash X like xcompmgr does?
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
I've been using it since it hit ~x86. Only problems I've had were that kasteriods crashed (the gcc hidden thing) and theres a problem with recurring events in korganizer.

KDE 3.4.1 has hit masked testing so hopefully those issues will be fixed. Fingers crossed it won't be long before it hits stable so it might be worth waiting for that. That would be slightly better in one way. There was a bug in aKregator that's fixed in the stand-alone version in stable (the version I use) and KDE 3.4.1. Going to KDE 3.4 now would actually introduce an extra bug.

This is getting complicated. :D
assaf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackDog wrote:
brullonulla wrote:
I normally would suggest anyone has the right to complain. But in this case it seems to me someone is just bitching without any real reason to do so.

That is where I think you are incorrect, there is a reason. Release testing is taking an order of magnitude longer for KDE 3.4 than past KDE installs. KDE releases used to take less than 14 days. The only difference is split ebuilds are involved. KDE3.4 built directly via konstruct works great on my box absolutely no problems (I have two separate installs).

ranmakun wrote:
At the point the packages start to build without problems, as I said before, they should be made stable, KDE by itself has already been tested by the KDE team.

Exactly. Unless there are known critical problems but this doesnt seem to be the case for the monolothic ebuilds. Having x86 and ~x86 is good, I simply disagree on where the line should be. If I wanted a super stable system, I would not use gentoo. By design, stability for desktop use will be lower than other distros. I would use suse, mandrake or another more commericalized distrobution if I "needed" stability (although I think gentoo is plenty stable even with over 200 packages unmasked on my box). If gentoo wants to start waiting longer, seriously, good for them, It just means this isnt the right distro for me personally. I guess I just want clarification on where the distro is heading. I originally liked gentoo because I could run the latest software easily. Easily being the keyword there.

On a side note, if KDE isnt stable when it releases. We should address the actual problem and talk to the real KDE devs, not hide the problem with complete system tests in every distribution. From my experience, KDE has released very stable code, they are definitely one of the most organized OSS projects in their weight class.

I think there's an interesting point here. From the user's point of view it would be greate if there was another level besides stable and testing. As a user I definitely want to start using the latest kde before it is in stable, but I wouldn't want it if it's completely b0rked. So it would be great if there was a possibly_b0rked branch in addition to testing and stable. Of course this would be counter productive for the gentoo devs, because there would be hardly anyone left to test the b0rked branch (as it is now with hard-masked packages I guess).

The lifecycle would be that as soon as an ebuild is ready, the package will be marked possibly_b0rked (or whatever), after a quick sanity check (i.e. it atleast compiles, maybe even it would be checked to actually run, but only if it's not something as complex as kde) it would be marked testing, and after a extensive testing period marked stable (for our moms and dads)
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To chime in: the split ebuilds have *nothing* to do with why 3.4 hasn't been marked stable yet.

There's a bug report on the topic (the # escapes me at the moment), but the main reason is KDE 3.4 added support for visibility scoping within the compiler (gcc 4.0), and Gentoo has backported that to gcc 3.4, and it turns out that there is some brokenness in KDE 3.4's implementation that isn't compatible with the gcc 3.4 backport. Thus, if you happen to do things the wrong way, you could end up with a borked KDE 3.4 installation.

We believe these are sorted out for KDE 3.4.1, and it's possible they may be sorted out for 3.4.0 soon.

If you use gcc 3.3 only, then it's no problem to install KDE 3.4.x - in fact, I would consider it VERY stable. But in order to not break lots of peoples' systems, we have left it ~x86 until we get the matter resolved.
PeterZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with this whole issue is the current condition of the kde portage branch. Right now just about everything is masked, being at the 3.4.1 version. What would I do if I were setting up a new box and wanted to emerge kde? Most of the apps would be masked.

Is portage not capable of having more than one version in the tree? If so, this is a major deficiency. On Saturday afternoon I did my weekly emerge --update --deep --newuse world and lost kweather. If I did that today would I lose all of the apps that are masked in today's tree? That seems like the antithesis of what portage is supposed to do.

The other big issue seems to be the definition of "stable." IMO, "stable" for the gentoo team should mean that a clean stable ebuild can be created by portage from the distros available from kde.org. The stability of the kde code itself is, again IMO, the responsibility of the kde team, not the gentoo team. If kde 3.4.1 is unstable in the eyes of the gentoo developers, then they need to tell us that kde 3.4.1 is not ready for prime time and that is why it is masked.

The idea that the gentoo team is responsible for testing every aspect of every version upgrade of every app available for Linux is, in my mind, ludicrous. If the gentoo developers don't recoil in horror at the thought of responsibility for every line of code in the Linux world, well ...

To sum it up, I believe that having kde 3.4.x masked is up to the developers. Having 3.4.x masked in the portage tree so intrepid users can test it is fine. Having no other version (i.e. 3.3.2) available via emerge for the rest of us is unacceptable.

Just my opinion.
andyfraser33
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterZ wrote:

To sum it up, I believe that having kde 3.4.x masked is up to the developers. Having 3.4.x masked in the portage tree so intrepid users can test it is fine. Having no other version (i.e. 3.3.2) available via emerge for the rest of us is unacceptable.

Just my opinion.

KDE 3.3.2 is still available though. "emerge kde" will install it.
scharkalvin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Safest way to go to 3.4? Reply with quote

OK, I'm building an amd64 system, so I'm a little on the bleeding edge
as it is. I'd like to try KDE3.4, right now I have most of kde3.3.2 on my
system, and a few parts of kde3.4 (cause kdm for amd64 has no stable
ebuild and it depends on parts of kde3.4). What's the best way for me
to un-install 3.3.2 and install 3.4? How can I set the ~amd64 keyword for
all kde packages (can this be done on one line?, or one line per portage
section?). What is the safest way to build kde the spit-ebuild, meta packages,
or monolitic?
scharkalvin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To chime in: the split ebuilds have *nothing* to do with why 3.4 hasn't been marked stable yet.

There's a bug report on the topic (the # escapes me at the moment), but the main reason is KDE 3.4 added support for visibility scoping within the compiler (gcc 4.0), and Gentoo has backported that to gcc 3.4, and it turns out that there is some brokenness in KDE 3.4's implementation that isn't compatible with the gcc 3.4 backport. Thus, if you happen to do things the wrong way, you could end up with a borked KDE 3.4 installation.

We believe these are sorted out for KDE 3.4.1, and it's possible they may be sorted out for 3.4.0 soon.

If you use gcc 3.3 only, then it's no problem to install KDE 3.4.x - in fact, I would consider it VERY stable. But in order to not break lots of peoples' systems, we have left it ~x86 until we get the matter resolved.

So how does this affect amd64 which ONLY has GCC 3.4.x?
ranmakun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb wrote:

Caleb, this is what most of us don't understand, maybe I'm missing something, but since stable gentoo users don't use GCC-3.4, why it is marked unstable for us?
Epyon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the bug you're talking about, https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86898, its been marked as resolved since late last month.
llsardonicll
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents here:

What I see that some people are overlooking is, just because something is released as 'stable' by the developers, eg KDE 3.4,
doesn't mean it should be in portage as stable, it needs to be tested in a gentoo environment. It also works vice-versa, just take
a look at how many 'unstable' packages are marked x86.

I just know I'm very grateful for all the hard work the gentoo devs put into this in the first place.
Strapahuulia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So KDE 3.4 isn't marked stable because people using an unstable compiler with an experimental feature backported from an alpha-versioned compiler release don't break their systems?
This is a joke, right?. You just can't mark a software as big as KDE stable only by the time it compiles with every possible set of CFLAGS...!
Besides, all that's keeping me from installing KDE from ~x86 is that it requires way too much ebuild names to be put in /etc/portage/package.keywords...
assaf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strapahuulia wrote:

Besides, all that's keeping me from installing KDE from ~x86 is that it requires way too much ebuild names to be put in /etc/portage/package.keywords...

Are you even too lazy to cut n' paste it from one of the numerous posts/guides?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: