[SOLVED]Quake 3 Sound Issue..................unusual
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuke235
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Quake 3 Sound Issue..................unusual Reply with quote

OK, I got the sound to work in Quake 3, but I have to try starting the game several times before it works. Once it starts working, I can close the game, and restart, and the sound will still be there.

However, if I close the game down, and do something else, same thing happens, I need to try restarting the game several times before the sound works.

When sound doesn't work, the Q3 console menu says "Could not open /dev/sound/dsp". However, that is the correct place for the dsp.

Logging in as root does not solve the problem. Even rebooting requires multiple attempts at starting to get the sound to work.

I tried the "set +sounddevice" command.

I am using the alsa-oss driver with a cs46xx module (Turtle Beach Soundcard). Sound otherwise works fine.

I should add, I am using the native Linux q3point, not using wine. I have heard that going through wine works better. Any confirmation of this?

Also, the permissions for the /dev/sound/dsp are correct, set to user. Also, the user is a member of "audio", so I don't think permissions are the issue.

Last edited by nuke235 on Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think im correct in saying that the alsa-oss driver will only let 1 sound through at a time. Make sure all other things are closed down which might want to make a noise.
nuke235
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
i think im correct in saying that the alsa-oss driver will only let 1 sound through at a time. Make sure all other things are closed down which might want to make a noise.

How do I do that?
edudlive
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuke235 wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

How do I do that?

You have PM at PcPer

Make sure to close (possibly even use killall if you still have problems) all things that have sound (ie disable sound on gaim, close xmms/aramoK).

Most sound cards in Linux can only have one set of sounds playing at a time because we dont have the specs to use hardware mixing.
nuke235
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved.

For anyone who cares, what I did was the following:

logged into console as root

typed /etc/init.d/alsasound restart

sh /home/user/quake3/quake3

and voila, sound worked.

Now, if a script would work to do the above, can anyone tell me how to write such a script?

Oh, and the billion dollar question goes to anyone who can explain why this works, but before, I had to restart the game multiple times, before sound would work. It did work before, btw, and well, just it took many many tries at starting and restarting the game to make it work.
eae
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to restart alsa every time (which requires you to be root), just find what application is using /dev/sound/dsp and kill it.
Next time you receive the "could not open /dev/sound/dsp" message try (as root):
Code:
fuser /dev/sound/dsp

you 'll receive a number X, type
Code:
ps -fA|grep X
(where X is the number you got before) and you'll see the name of the program that is blocking the soundcard.
nuke235
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eae wrote:
You don't need to restart alsa every time (which requires you to be root), just find what application is using /dev/sound/dsp and kill it.
Next time you receive the "could not open /dev/sound/dsp" message try (as root):
Code:
fuser /dev/sound/dsp

you 'll receive a number X, type
Code:
ps -fA|grep X
(where X is the number you got before) and you'll see the name of the program that is blocking the soundcard.

Actually, that was the original answer I was looking for. Thanks. Restarting alsa with a desktop icon is pretty quick, though. And, I don't need to restart alsa every time, as long as I leave the KDE desktop sounds turned off.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell everyone what the answer was and put SOLVED on the title to the thread
nuke235
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I know understand what my issue was. I was using arts, and whenever an arts sound played, it took control of the soundcard away from alsa.

I could get it back if I restarted alsa (ie /etc/init.d/alsasound restart), but that was always really annoying.

So, I found this post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-322814-highlight-disable+arts.html

And now I have KDE sounds, game sounds, and no more alsa restarts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: