'Damn Small' Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: 'Damn Small' Gentoo? Reply with quote

Hi,

Have anyone ever tried getting an installed system to less than 200MB?

I plan to install Gentoo onto a laptop. It will probably have 10GB or less. I am too cheap to upgrade the HD.

So is it possible for me to get Gentoo down to a very small size? I am so not into the big distro/OS trend.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 'Damn Small' Gentoo? Reply with quote

wuya wrote:
Have anyone ever tried getting an installed system to less than 200MB?
Not possible with x86 Gentoo, ever, even if you host the portage tree and the distfiles remotely and you compile remotely. If you're that strapped for space, Gentoo is not for you. Use Damn Small Linux or a similar distribution.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a maintainable system, there's no way you'll get Gentoo in 200Mb. The portage tree alone is 125Mb, or more if you store it inefficiently, for example on 4k/block ext3. If you want a one-shot deal, you can mess around with chroots and obscure portage features to produce a system much smaller than 100Mb. Busybox with uClibc and a few basic daemons would probably weigh in at less than 20Mb.

If you want a usable and maintainable desktop, use Gentoo but be mindful of things like desktop environments, toolkits, CFLAGS, and filesystems. Blackbox, Fluxbox, and Openbox are quite small. Xfce has a few more features than *box but is still significantly smaller than KDE or GNOME, the most popular desktops. You'll want to stick to one toolkit, preferably GTK because QT is used by KDE, which you probably want to avoid. Compiling everything with -Os will probably help conserve space. Whatever you do, don't use -O3. If you use ext3, look on the forums for instructions on tuning it for space and performance. If you want a filesystem that's efficient by default, you can try reiser4. It's still officially unsupported, but it works for most people.
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
Compiling everything with -Os will probably help conserve space. Whatever you do, don't use -O3.

Probably? More like certainly. Unfortunately some ebuids do stupid things and don't recognize the -Os flag's similarity to -O2. So my workaround -- which moocha disapproves of -- is to use the following instead of just -Os :
Code:
-O2 -Os -fno-align-functions -fno-align-jumps -fno-align-loops -fno-align-labels -fno-reorder-blocks -fno-prefetch-loop-arrays
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gherald wrote:
So my workaround -- which moocha disapproves of -- is to use the following
Teeheehee, preemptive :D.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
boogerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate to say this, as I have come to love gentoo, if you really need to get it smaller than 200MB get slackware. That's what I used for about a year before I used gentoo and I got down to 130MB. But if you have a 10GB HD, my experience is deal with the less free space because I like gentoo better. But whatever suites your needs best.
someguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my installs down to 220 mg with x before by using dietlibc and some other subroutine crap worked pretty well
SDraconis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someguy wrote:
i got my installs down to 220 mg with x before by using dietlibc and some other subroutine crap worked pretty well

May I ask how you got things to link with dietlibc? I've been trying to work out how to get Portage to use dietlibc for any new emerges (and then hopefully rebuild previously emerged stuff with dietlibc).
ripper2256
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDraconis wrote:
someguy wrote:

May I ask how you got things to link with dietlibc? I've been trying to work out how to get Portage to use dietlibc for any new emerges (and then hopefully rebuild previously emerged stuff with dietlibc).

Yes, this would be very interesting, because on this forum is no HowTo for Gentoo with dietlibc, except this https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-72281.html one, but it seems out of date :(
jlpence
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 13 gig driv and even with all my MP3s, KDE, and random programs installed I have 7 gigs free. You have nothing to worry about.

That said, I'd think that one could greatly slim down the distro by tossing /usr/portage into a squashfs file and mounting that via a loopback device. It would be slow, but you could most likely get portage to fit in a few dozen megs, give or take. You'd have three problems with this, however:

* You'd have to unpack and re-squash the tree with every emerge --sync.
* You wouldn't be able to add tarballs to /usr/portage/distfiles, seeing how squashfs is read-only. So maybe you'd have to create a file formatted as ext2 via another loopback device, mounted at /usr/portage/distfiles.
* It'd be S-L-O-W. But hell, you asked for space, not speed.

Then be as stingy as possible with your USE flags, install only that which is needed, and manually go through and remove all extra documentation that you don't need. I know when I installed Gentoo via Stage 3 the full install was about 800mb. I don't think you can get it under 200, but under 500 is more than possible if you're creative enough. You could probably get it even less than that, but then you start running up against the question of "How much can you modify a system before it becomes too much of a pain in the ass to use and administrate?"

This is all theoretical, mind you. I haven't done any of this. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: