Requesting a precompiled kernel...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atchbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Requesting a precompiled kernel... Reply with quote

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a precompiled kernel with SIS IDE chipset support built-in to see if that helps in installing on my new laptop (Averatec 6210). I'm getting the 'interrupt lost' syndrome with incredibly slow progress (several seconds of wait per disc access, then 'interrupt lost' errors for both the optical and hard drives). I currently don't have another system to build the kernel, and I'm hoping to use Gentoo for the first time.

I know that it's antithetical to the Gentoo philosophy, but I need a precompiled kernel that I can swap for the generic one (and then I'll burn a new Universal install cd and see if this works). I'm from Slackware of old... if anyone can send me a kernel, I would be greatful. Does Gentoo use /boot/vmlinuz as its default kernel and location?

I can be reached at:
vegoil at gmail dot com

Cheers,
Atchbo
pacde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry, cant help you out on the kernel thing right now because Im not at my box and I dont have a connection right now, but the answer to you question about default kernel and location is no - at least I havent seen any reference to vmlinuz in the documentation. According to the documentation (which I followed) this is the grub configuration:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hda3

of course you have to supply the kernel someone sends you and change the root. Im not sure how this corresponds to vmlinuz as far as location goes, but this is the suggested configuration.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: