2005.0 Stage1-stage2 emerge -e system gets merge order wrong
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grahammm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: 2005.0 Stage1-stage2 emerge -e system gets merge order wrong Reply with quote

I am currently performing a 2005.0 Stage 1 install on ~x86. After a succesful bootstrap, 'emerge -e system' is getting the dependency order wrong. The first 'failure' was when merging openssl, which complained that perl was not available. Then later, automake-1.8.5 failed because autoconf-2.58 or later was required. 'emerge =sys/devel/automake-1.8.5-r3' brought in the requred dependencies.
Master Shake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does that....It might be a bug in portage.
P35 Chipset
4 Gigs 800mhz 4-4-4-12
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX @ 630mhz
xhixen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2005.0 Stage1-stage2 emerge -e system gets merge order w Reply with quote

Grahammm wrote:
I am currently performing a 2005.0 Stage 1 install on ~x86. After a succesful bootstrap, 'emerge -e system' is getting the dependency order wrong. The first 'failure' was when merging openssl, which complained that perl was not available. Then later, automake-1.8.5 failed because autoconf-2.58 or later was required. 'emerge =sys/devel/automake-1.8.5-r3' brought in the requred dependencies.

I just wanted to bump this up and say that I'm having the exact same issue.
Karsten from Berlin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is, that it is not recommended to try a stage<whatever>-install with completely unstable packages.

Maybe do the basic installing 'till the first boot with stable. After that try to set the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in make.conf to upgrade to unstable packages.

If s.th. breaks always remember: There must be a reason that it is marked as unstable... maybe you found out why :wink:
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
Yeah it does that....It might be a bug in portage.

Actually, I think it is a bug in the documentation.

When I do a stage1 installation with ~x86, I use "emerge system" not "emerge -e system" after bootstrapping.
stoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2005.0 Stage1-stage2 emerge -e system gets merge order w Reply with quote

Grahammm wrote:

out of curiosity, how did you resolve your issue with openssl and perl? I've been banging my head against a wall all day trying to figure this one out. nothing seems to work right.

thanks -
xante
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoker:
Code:
emerge -e system

Until it breaks than
Code:
USE="-berkdb" emerge perl && emerge system && emerge -e system

But now I'm having problems with alsa-drivers when doing "emerge system". Not to knock Gentoo scripters, but maybe we should rethink the new install...Im having more problems with this than I ever have, usually gentoo installs nicely my AMD Desktop...but this round, Ive had to resort to the gentoo forums over:
emerging perl
adding -svga to my use flags
and now im stuck on the alsa-driver issue...Could we combine the multiple problemed install forums into a new manual or something? :P
Happy gentooing (btw, out of all the distros Ive tried, gentoo is my lover, Im also running it on a compaq presario 3000 with all operations set to go :D)
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xante wrote:
But now I'm having problems with alsa-drivers when doing "emerge system". Not to knock Gentoo scripters, but maybe we should rethink the new install...Im having more problems with this than I ever have, usually gentoo installs nicely my AMD Desktop...but this round, Ive had to resort to the gentoo forums over:
emerging perl
adding -svga to my use flags
and now im stuck on the alsa-driver issue...

It sounds like you have added a bunch of USE flags before even getting the base system installed. This generally causes problems by pulling in unwanted dependencies. When I do a stage1 install, I bootstrap and emerge system with only USE="" or USE="nptl", nothing more. Then I boot my new installation before adding other USE flags and emerging the rest of the packages I want.

ps. alsa-driver is included in 2.6 kernels, so you don't need to emerge it (unless you are still running a 2.4 kernel).
stoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xante wrote:

Could we combine the multiple problemed install forums into a new manual or something? :P
Happy gentooing (btw, out of all the distros Ive tried, gentoo is my lover, Im also running it on a compaq presario 3000 with all operations set to go :D)

yeah, no kidding. I broke down last night and performed a stage3 on my lappy, figured the precompiled binaries will be tight enough for a base system, and I can reemerge the system with my desired USE flags at a later date. but just to get through dependency hell. it would be very nice to know what specifically NOT to do during an install to cause these kinds of problems.

I guess (e.g.) the OpenSSL / Perl cyclic dependency issue is a long-standing one. my question to any portage developers who might read this thread: why has this not been resovled yet? every problem has a solution.

cyrillic wrote:
It sounds like you have added a bunch of USE flags before even getting the base system installed. This generally causes problems by pulling in unwanted dependencies.

I can see that... I was perhaps a bit overzealous with my use of the flags, so that wouldn't surprise me... but still - something ought to be mentioned in the install docs, then, as to which USE flags may be used during an install, and which ones SHOULD NOT be used. if USE flags are the cause, that is. I haven't tried rebuilding the system from a stage1 without any USE flags, so I wouldn't know, but I'll take your word for it.
xante
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did just copy an old make.conf over not realizing this I guess maybe I should of been more awake when installing but they do still say to set your use flags before bootstrapping...maybe this should be updated in the install manual like stoker suggested.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: