View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Can I install KWord only? Reply with quote

I'm currently using OpenOffice, mainly because it usually works and sometimes imports MS Word documents well enough. But I don't especially like the interface and the font rendering is terrible. I'd like to try KWord from the KOffice suite.

Is it possible to build KWord without all the rest of the KOffice stuff that I don't want? I had a look at the ebuild file and wasn't enlightened in any meaningful way.

Secondly, would anyone like to compare and contrast KWord with the wordprocessor of OpenOffice? Is KWord any worse than OpenOffice at importing MS Word documents of the sort I usually get sent with multiple floating frames and text wrapping around goodness knows where? Does it do a better job of handling fonts and wierd Microsoft encodings?

Finally, will KWord import my OpenOffice documents without too much trouble? None of my OpenOffice documents have any fancy formatting (unlike the MS Word documents).

Thanks
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer KOffice over OO.org but sadly it seems that KWord is less able to import MS Word docs, so I had to download OO.org too...

But I don't know if this is because the docs I was tying to import were particulary difficult to handle. Your mileage may vary.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it is possible to just compile and install Kword and it's support librarires.

In order to do so you will have to:

1. Unpack koffice source (ebuild /usr/portage/app-office/koffice/koffice-1.2.1-r1.ebuild unpack)

2. Start the compile process in order to get the source configured (ebuild /usr/portage/app-office/koffice/koffice-1.2.1-r1.ebuild compile)

3. When the actual compile starts, break out of it with Control+C

4. Edit the top level Makefile and remove references to any of the other modules, then run a manual make

5. When make is successfull, install and qmerge as normal:
ebuild /usr/portage/app-office/koffice/koffice-1.2.1-r1.ebuild install
ebuild /usr/portage/app-office/koffice/koffice-1.2.1-r1.ebuild qmerge

This should leave you with a somewhat disabled Koffice install with only Kword and necessary support libraries.

NOTE: This is not supported, nor have I tested it.

Erik
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hints on how to do a 'manual' emerge. That's something I've been wondering about how to do for a while, as I want to do something similar to make some custom changes to Konqueror (see this patch).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: