View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alechiko
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: .xsession-errors Problem logging into gnome [fixed] Reply with quote

Im not sure how I have achieved this but I seem to have rendered myself unable to login to Gnome or Fluxbox as a localuser through GDM. At present im using Gnome having executed startx at the command line. If I start GDM and then try to login to gnome or fluxbox with my normal account i get the following error:

Code:

/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:1.Xservers$/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied

And i cant login to gnome. I can still login to fluxbox as root using startx. Im not sure what should be in my .xinitrc file and i dont have an .xsession file but i do have an .xsession-errors file.

What have I done? How have I done it? :cry: I should probably say that things were working ok before i upgraded to gnome 2.10 but I dont think it has anything to do with that version of gnome because i had this problem a long time ago when i upgraded from gnome 2.4 to 2.6 but never found out what caused it.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me?

akiru
alechiko
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out it was a problem with permissions on the /tmp folder and that it belonged to root instead of users. A quick fiddle with chmod sorted it all out =)

akiru
tj8057
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this is like a problem I've got where I can't log into Fluxbox from gdm. However, my permissions on my /tmp/ directory allow rwx for everyone. Is this all you had to change?

Tim
alechiko
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as far as i can tell that's all i had to change, but check out your .xinitrc or .xsession file (which ever you use) to make sure everything is correct. I think in ~/.xinitrc you just need to have fluxbox present for a fluxbox session..

akiru
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: