Strange GRUB error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekhaas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Strange GRUB error Reply with quote

I am currently trying to install gentoo onto my new amd64 box. I can get through everything fine until it comes to the reboot stage. After I select "Gentoo 2.6.11" from the grub list, it scrolls a bunch of messages(none of which look like errors AFAIK) and then while it is "Scanning for root partition", it returns that it could not find the root partition, and that the partition that i specified in my grub.conf is not a valid root partition. It then prompts me to either enter a new device to attempt to mount as root, or to type shell to enter an extremely limited shell. And that is where I am stuck.

Here is a little info about my setup thusfar:

I am using a SATA hard drive. It is the only harddrive in the machine. When I am in the liveCD, it is listed as /dev/sda

I used genkernel to setup the kernel, and here is the grub.conf file I came about from following the AMD64 installation guide.

Code:

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title=Gentoo 2.6.11
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/sda3 udev
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r7

I have tried a few things, including changing real_root to /dev/hda3 and adding doscsi to the options, but that did not work. Any advice? I'm sorry if this is a repeat of something covered in the stickied grub error thread, but I have gone through a lot of pages already and theres a limit to my comprehension using a text based browser. I will gladly give any more info as neccessary, just ask :)

Also:

/dev/sda1=boot partition
/dev/sda2=swap
/dev/sda3=/ root partition

THANKS!
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you give us your fstab, your grub.conf looks ok.

Have you reied compiling your kernel yourself then you wouldn't need half the things in the kernel line in grub.conf
moleculardeconstruction
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use genkernel to build the kernel, or did you build it yourself?

You may need to build in support for your hard drive controller chipset. I had a similar problem with with an old ATA drive. Upon booting my new system, it would search for the root partition, and then tell me it could find no valid partitions. I had neglected to build the chipset support into the kernel. A quick rebuild of the kernel and things were all good.
derekhaas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried compiling the kernel myself. I have been attempting to install gentoo for the past 3 days, and at this point(earlier today) when everything seem to come together, I didn't want to be bothered with configuring the kernel and possibly breaking it. I just knew that the live cd boot up perfectly, and the guide seemed to insinuate that if the livecd works perfect, then the genkernel all will work perfect. Ill try rebuilding the kernel with support for the chipset. Now how do I find that out? I am using a Foxconn WinFast nforce4 motherboard.

Here is fstab:

Code:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.14 2003/10/13 20:03:38 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs>                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>                  <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/sda1               /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/sda3               /               reiserfs        noatime                 0 0
/dev/sda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto                  0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0

bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the livecd kernel is in now way the same as the one you are compiling with genkernel. the livecd needs to be universal so that it can detect all the devices you have when it runs, otherwise it cannot do anything. i think genkernel only enables the commonly used modules and options. i believe that you have to check what devices, filesystems, etc ... you have on your system and see if the kernel you are compiling supports all of those sutff.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, the live cd detects what hardware the user has and when it comes to genkernel it adds all the options it used for the cd as modules. Thats why it is advisable to go through, learn about your computer and recompile everything *into* the kernel rather as modules so that everything doesn't have to be loaded at boot
moleculardeconstruction
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling your own kernel is another great way to learn about how your system works. You can also trim out unneeded things. The down side of this is, unless you know what everything does, you might disable something essential. The help pages within the kernel config are very helpul and worth a read.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowing your computer and your kernel is the 1st step to becoming a Gentoo Jedi. There is a disturbance from the dark side who use genkernel but 10 mins learning about your computer and having a look around your kernel will mean you are on your way to becoming a master.

Remember, fear leads to anger, anger lead to genkernel and genkernel leads to suffering...
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I used genkernel to setup the kernel
Did you use the following command? genkernel --udev all
Also, I think you'd better do genkernel --menuconfig --udev all and make sure you configure your kernel to include the sata, scsi and reiserfs drivers to be compiled into the kernel and not as modules. I'm not convinced genkernel adds these modules to the initrd automagically. You can use the livecd (lsmod) to find out which drivers it loads as modules for sata and scsi, so you have an idea which drivers to enable in the kernel config.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: