View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: [solved] Various problems Reply with quote

Well, I got Gentoo installed finally after messing up a bunch of times... but now I am having a few problems. At first, after trying to boot my kernel, it would give me the error of "/dev/hda3 is not a valid root device... The root block device is unspecified or not deteected. Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell..." After looking around the forums, I changed my grub config to read root=/dev/hda3 and that worked. But now, I'm having some other problemss... Everything goes ok until it tries to bring up eth0 up. It then gives me the messages:

SIOCSIFADDR: No ssuch device
eth0: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth0: unkown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
"netmount" was not started.

It then starts vixie-cron and local and takes me to the login... what do I do to fix the eth0 problem? I followed the handbook to the letter... I even named my partitions so I could just use all of the code listed in it ::oops: I know, I know, it's kind of sad I've had to follow this exactly, but this is all new to me... any advice would be great!!!

Last edited by gardner0518 on Sat May 14, 2005 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
rc-update add netmount boot

gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I did that and it no longer gives me the error about netmount, but it still says eth0 not found and whatnot. Thanks for your help thus far!! FYI, I have a Broadcom Integrated Gigabit NIC (I have a Dell Inspiron XPS laptop) and I use DHCP to assign IPs in my network...
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your kernel config if you have enabled support for your eth0 device, it must be either built in the kernel or as a module then check /etc/conf.d/net if it is configured correctly. ;)
Karsten from Berlin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember to check, if you have emerged the package 'dhcpcd'. It's used that yoour machine can act as a DHCP client.
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I did the gen kernel, so I figured thta would work since the Live CD detected my card. How do I go about adding it as say a module? Is that bad to add it as a module?
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I did the whole .config thing then I was installing, and I set it to use dhcp.... I'm thinking maybe I did it wrong? Could anybody guide me through all of this (installing as a module and fixing the config file) step by step? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but my feet are barely wet and I don't want to screw up my Gentoo installation considering all the time I put into it :oops:
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I redid the emerge dhcpcd command, and editted the /etc/conf.d/net file with nano. I just set the adapter equal to dhcp... is that wrong?

Now when I boot up, everything loads fine and I don't get weird messages, except that it gives me the red !! when it says "Bringing up eth0 via DHCP." Do I need to add dhcpcd to load at boot or something? Thanks!!
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, step by step here: su to root, then
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig
Code:
Device Drivers  --->
Code:
Networking support  --->
Code:
Ethernet (1000 Mbit)  --->
Code:
<*> Broadcom Tigon3 support
then press excape until you get to...
Code:
Do you wish to save your new kernel configuration?
Select "yes" and then type in:
Code:
make && make modules_install
Ok, that is your kernel configured and compiled, whenever you want to look around your kernel just use the "cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig" and you can have a nosey about in it.

Right, now we are going to copy over 3 files to /boot: System.map, .config and the bzImage. What i do is i give them the kernel name after the files so when i have more than one i know which ones they are (so at the moment i have "config-2.6.11-gentoo-r6" "System.map-2.6.11-gentoo-r6" and "kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6") to find the kernel you are using just do "uname -r", so
Code:
cp system.map /boot/System.map-<kernel number>
cp .config /boot/config-<kernel number>
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-<kernel version> (i presume your architecture is x86, if not change i386 with whatever you have, x86_64, sparc, ppc)

now you should be set. And thats how to compile a kernel. Remember that if you upgrade to a new kernel version then you have to make a new symlink in /usr/src from your new compiled kernel to "linux" because /usr/src/linux is just a link to the current kernel you are using.
Karsten from Berlin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

iface_eth0="dhcp"
dhcpcd_eth0="-t 5"

That's all in /etc/conf.d/net.

Code:

rc-update add net.eth0 default

...but I think you already have that.

dhcpcd is not for adding to a runlevel. You do not need to add it with rc-update.

If you still get errors, then probably because your DHCP-Server is not working, or maybe you have a firewall that blocks the DHCP.
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed all of those instructions to the t and it's not working for me :? Were those for a custom kernel or does it matter? When I tried to copy the system.map and the bzImage, it gave me a "no such file" error... I know my dhcp server is working properly, because it works with all of my other computers (Windows) and it worked with the installation CD.

On an additional note, I would like to try making my own kernel, but I want to make it in addition to the genkernel I have working and not overwrite it. How do I do this? Again, I need step by step. Thank you to everybody who has helped this far! You've been making the transition a lot less painful :)
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it gave me a "no such file" error...
When? On booting? Check the name of the kernel image and the name you gave it in grub.conf then. You could use the tabcompletion feature of grub to find out the names of files that grub is able to find.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, when trying to copy the files.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardner0518 wrote:
No, when trying to copy the files.
Oops, didn't read close enough. Ok, try this:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# ls -l Sys*
# ls -l arch/i386/boot/bz*
That should tell you if System.map and bzImage do exist. If they don't you need to compile a kernel
If they do, you will probably need to mount your boot partition first
# mount /boot
Then copy System.map and bzImage to /boot like cokehabit explained.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I did all of that and it's still giving me !! when it says configuring eth0 with DHCP... I'm completely lost as to how to fix this. If I type ifconfig it doesn't even show the eth0 connection, only the local loopback... Any other ideas?
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, you don't need to copy the kernel files manually, you can just make install while on the kernel src dir. if you are using genkernel then it genkernel will do the copying for you.
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did add everything and it shows that it is installed, but I still get the !!... Is there anyway to find out the error code for why it isn't working? Like I said, it doesn't even list my device under ifconfig.
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post the output of lspci?
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work now, so I can't give you the exact name, but I remember it says Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet adapter. I will post the exact number when I get home. I just don't understand why it worked under the Install CD but not now. By the way, when I type a command like lspci, how do I get the results in a format that I can scroll through and/or save/print? As it is now, it lists everything, but I can only see the end results, which cuts off a bunch of stuff.

Also, I never got an answer on trying to make a new kernel. I would like to try manually configuring my kernel, but I don't want to screw up the genkernel that I have [mostly] working except for the internet. I am using grub to boot, so I think I could add the lines to the grub once I got it compiled, but I'm worried about erasing my old one. Do I compile it into a different directory or what? Thank you and I'll post the exact model when I get home.
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the lspci says:

Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM7505M Gigabit Ethernet (rev 01)

Thank you!
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you perform the steps as instructed by cokehabit in an earlier post and enabled this?
Code:
<*> Broadcom Tigon3 support

if you did that then the driver for your ethernet card is built in the kernel and should detect you ethernet card on boot. if it says
Code:
<M> Broadcaom Tigon3 support
then it is compiled as a module. if it is try
Code:
bash# modprobe tg3 && lsmod

the result of lsmod gives you a list of what modules are currently loaded and should have tg3 somewhere in the list.

if all fails :( compile everything as a module under the
Code:
Ethernet (1000 Mbit) --->

Quote:
By the way, when I type a command like lspci, how do I get the results in a format that I can scroll through and/or save/print? As it is now, it lists everything, but I can only see the end results, which cuts off a bunch of stuff.

you can do
Code:
bash# lspci > pci.list

take a look at pci.list and you'll see the entire list.
Quote:
Also, I never got an answer on trying to make a new kernel. I would like to try manually configuring my kernel, but I don't want to screw up the genkernel that I have [mostly] working except for the internet. I am using grub to boot, so I think I could add the lines to the grub once I got it compiled, but I'm worried about erasing my old one. Do I compile it into a different directory or what?

if you want to manually configure your current kernel without touching the genkernel compiled one is a bit tricky and involves copying the entire kernel source tree to another directory and editing the Makefile to change the version to a new version. if you don't do this, you will overwrite the modules created by your current kernel and weird things will happen after installing the new kernel. the best thing i could think of is to emerge a different kernel like ck-sources, it is a good kernel for desktop. you can just
Code:
bash# emerge ck-sources
if it complains about masked packages you can temporarily do
Code:
bash# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" emerge ck-sources
the "~arch" is the architecture type of the PC you are installing on list (~x86, ~ppc, ...). you can read more about this on the gentoo documentation and also about masked packages.
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I installed it like cokehabit advised. I will try the other things when I get home and can use my computer. What exactly is ck-sources? Is it a different kernel than Gentoo? What exactly are the differences? I was hoping that once I get this current kernel working, I could copy it into a /working/kernel folder or something like other people have recommended, add that to my bootloader, and then mess around with making my own manual kernel.
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to read this
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-kernel.xml
its all about other kernels you can use.
boogerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, it took me a while to dig up how to do this, but it sounds like this option may be for you
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all

This will do the auto configing and give you full access to the menu configuring. Then you can go to the categories lised above and select your NIC.

Also, does udev or devfs ring a bell. Did you install either of these? They might be part of the problem. Do this to figure out if you have them.
Code:
emerge -up devfs
emerge -up udev

If you post the output, it might be helpful.
gardner0518
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I did the genkernel --menuconfig all and added my netcard that way. Do I need to do anything to boot the new kernel or does it automatically replace my old one?

BTW, when I did the modprobe tg3 && lsmod, it gave me no results.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: