Confused and need some advice.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Link
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Confused and need some advice. Reply with quote

Hey,

I've been using Linux on and off for the last year and i've never found the distro that is just right for me, i've tried all the popular distro's and there is always something i don't like. My friends always tell me " then try gentoo and you will have complete control" yeah that sounds good but i've heard a lot about the install procedure being very hard for someone who doesn't know a lot about linux, like myself.

So i'm wondering, do you think i would be able to handle installing Gentoo? Is it really so hard? I was just planning on doing a stage three install, but im worried i won't be able to handle it, i found installing arch linux quite confusing but i did manage to install it, is gentoo a lot harder? The reason i want to try Gentoo is because i want to have complete control and i have heard a lot of good things about portage and how up-to date it is. Gentoo sounds like the perfect distro for me, but im really worried about the install procedure. Just looking for a bit of advice on what to do, any advice is appreciated.
polle
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fyou have already some experience with linux, the install can't be that difficult (very good handbook, read it, follow it)
And with problems: I find this one of the better support forums for (gentoo)linux
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the 2005.0 minimal LiveCD, do a Stage3 install, keep off the unstable stuff and you'll be running KDE within a week.

Your KDE, mind you...
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how you view you installation I suppose. Admittedly Gentoo requires quite a bit more hands on work and the installation can be enormously time consuming even for experienced users. I go through phases where sometimes I want to configure everything and other times I just want it to work. If you're looking to really learn the internals of Linux and understand the distributions, Gentoo is great. Good luck.
Dark Link
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'll wait until i get my new PC, being without a pc for a week would be hell for me. So i'll wait until i get my new pc, which will be delivered on the 1st. I think it will be better to install it on that anyway.
Corporal_Punisher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to do it is to have two PCs side by side with an A/B switch for the Monitor and Keyboard/Mouse. Also with a switch or router so you can use the internet with both.

That way you can have the Handbook website handy on one PC while you run the Gentoo Install on the box you're getting. It's alot easier than using the link to the Gentoo handbook from the gentoo livecd on the same PC you're installing on.
AlchEmysT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best to try in on a Virtual Machine first. VMWare or Virtual pc. Both have long trials and you still have a working pc just in case something goes wrong. I'd say do a few installs. Once you know what to do and how to do it you can do an install in less than 30 minutes ... no X of course unless you use the GRP cd. read the manual and the quickinstall reference in my sig.

you'll be a gentoo install pro in no time. it's fun and becomes addictiong i have to say ... (recovering addict)

http://isnoop.net/gmail/
give / get - gmail invites
aschueler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using gentoo for over 1 year, and I am at best a "putterer" when it comes to linux. I'm an old guy that grew up with DOS and a very small bit of unix in college (just messing around, no formal learning). I had a great time just following the instruction manual which is cogent and very well written. I still get stuck with things when I putter around with them, and so far these guys have been able to fix every issue I have had. It's not as scary as it sounds. Try it.
Ma3oxuct
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty much a n00b when I started out (not that I am not a n00b now :D), but my exerience was great. The important thing is to follow the handbook very closly, but most importantly, to understand what the commands do. Until I understood what 80% of the commands actually did, I was not able to get Gentoo running. I also would recommend (if you have never compiled a kernel manually) to use genkernel --menuconfig. Look through it and become familiar with what works, helps and vice versa.

Remember, it is all much easier than it seems; and once you get it running, you will feel that all of times you were saying WTF and banging on the computer table were worth it :D.
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy, if you want to get to know linux deep down then gentoo is for you. i have learned a great deal about linux's inner workings and gentoo while installing, and im still learning now, it's a great experience and the community is awesome!!!! try it you won't regret it. yes its going to be a bumpy ride, that's the fun part :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: