View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shazow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Xorg doesn't start anymore Reply with quote

Premise:
I've been using Xorg perfectly for the past few days since my last emerge -uD world. Everything was dandy.
Today, I wake up, turn on my computer, when I get back expecting to see my KDM login box, instead I see a black screen with a _ on the top left of it (sometimes the _ goes away, depending how I start it). There is response from the keyboard (LEDs toggle), but I can't manage to get the screen to change. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE yields no change in the screen, but a ctrl+alt+del does cause a reboot. I can SSH from my laptop just fine, but altering config files and re-emerging has proven to not be of any help.

Problem:
Blank screen upon trying to start x.
(It loads into the terminal just fine, if I remove xdm from the rc-update list, but same problem occurs when I "startx" or "/etc/init.d/xdm start".)

Clues:
Upon inspection of my process list, I noticed that X is taking up 99% of my CPU useage (although nothing is happening, even after 20 min).
Code:
root     10579  0.0  0.1   2680   816 ?        Ss   17:32   0:00 /usr/kde/3.4/bin/kdm
root     10582 99.7  1.4  10048  7308 ?        R    17:32  10:56 /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-8pCLFo

Killing X has no effect on the display. It remains blank, with no visual response to commands.

I've tried reverting to my last working xorg.conf, but it had no change. (View it here)

Here's what /usr/var/xdm.log had to say:
Code:
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jul 19 16:48:13 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Using vt 7
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:1) found
xdm error (pid 10734): Hung in XOpenDisplay(:0), aborting
xdm error (pid 10734): server open failed for :0, giving up
xdm error (pid 10728): Display :0 cannot be opened

Here's my /var/log/Xorg.0.log, which doesn't seem to show any useful errors. (Here's one from before this incident, for kicks and giggles.)

Here's an excerpt from my /var/log/everything/current: (Similar to the xdm.log... Disregard the pid's, they're from different instances -- I lost track after many reboots.)
Code:
Jul 19 12:46:02 [kdm] :0[11050]: Hung in XOpenDisplay(:0), aborting
Jul 19 12:46:02 [kdm] :0[11050]: Cannot connect to :0, giving up
Jul 19 12:46:02 [kdm] Display :0 cannot be opened

• x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1 (Originally had 6.8.2-r2, with the same problem. Downgrading had no help.)
  • media-video/ati-drivers-8.14.13-r1
  • kde-base/kdebase-3.4.1-r1

I've tried reverting any recently dispatch-conf'd configs from the backups, but no change. (They didn't include anything vital.)

I tried tweaking my kernel config, removing power management, and even updating to a later kernel. Currently running the gentoo sources, 2.6.12-r6 (.config here). Previously, I had 2.6.11-r4.

Excerpt from my /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
XSESSION="kde-3.4"

Tried changing the manager to xdm, and even removing it altogether, all the same problem.

I've performed a revdep-rebuild, all completed successfully -- no change.

Plea:
These are all the clues I can think of. Anybody has any ideas?

Thanks a bunches, and an ASCII lollypop to the first person to offer a solution,
- shazow

Update: Here's my dmesg and /etc/make.conf, just incase.

Solution: Apparently my agpgart module wasn't loading. I must have dispatch-config'd out my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. >.<

Last edited by shazow on Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
doubleagent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried updating or recompiling your ati driver? I don't have any experience with ati, but I had a hunch that it was a driver problem even before I saw the error.
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
shazow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have. I did it each time I recompiled xorg or my kernel. Haven't tried downgrading them, but I don't see any reason to, since they've been working for a month now.

Going to try downgrading to an even-earlier version of Xorg.

- shazow
shazow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed the latest Xorg instead (6.8.99.14) and there is no noticeable difference.

Aside from that, I noticed that upon running xorg, I DO maintain full control of the desktop via keyboard, but it seems that the videocard ceases to paint anything on the monitor.

Also, I noticed that, upon boot, `echo $DISPLAY` yields nothing. What could be the problem?

- shazow
ltboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Fixed similar problem with nvidia. Reply with quote

After running updates I(stupidly) didn't pay enough attention to what was going on with etc-update and killed /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. So, just a thought, but check it out and make sure your ati driver is getting loaded before X tries to start.
shazow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was the problem, as I posted an update in the original message:

Solution: Apparently my agpgart module wasn't loading. I must have dispatch-config'd out my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. >.<

- shazow
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: