View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: A few "gtk without gnome" desktop questions Reply with quote

I used to use gnome when I started using linux, but I don't particularly lke the way gnome and other DE's work, and have been using enlightenment for months. I still have gnome-light installed, but I rarely use any of the apps included. I've recompiled everything but ximian openoffice with the gnome use flag unset. I don't want to use gnome-settings-daemon, gconfd-2, or anything simular, but I can't seem to figure out how to do certain things without them;

1: How do you specify an icon theme to be used for all gtk apps, for stuff like file open dialogs? In bmp and simular apps, the dialogs use the default theme, which I find quite ugly. I know it's been brought up in the forums before, but I haven't seen a suggestion that works.

[Edit #1; SOLVED, take a look at forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-273187.html, all credit to DaSch]

[Edit #3; Thorium pointed out another method that works, place this in ~/.gtkrc-2.0; gtk-icon-theme-name = "<themename>"

2: Gnome gives you an option to disable tearaway menus and such which make the apps appear cleaner, how can you do the same without gnome? Or can you at all?

[Edit #2; Probably not doable, look at my third post for why]

3: Lastly, firefox always starts gconfd-2, even though I've compiled it without the gnome use flag, and "emerge -pve mozilla-firefox" does not list gnome-base/gconf as a dependency. I've had a look at the mozilla-launcher script, but can't find anything relevant. Anyone know how to stop this?[/i]

[Edit #4; SOLVED, forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-342417.html, many thanks to matroskin]

Last edited by Sadako on Sat May 28, 2005 7:47 pm; edited 6 times in total
Hikaru79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping just because I'd like to know the answer to this too :oops:
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try xfce4. It has its own configuration utilities and is gtk2 based.
ehud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to do the same with e17:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-330810-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-lightweight.html

To control the gtk themes without gnome, use gtk-chtheme:
Code:
emerge gtk-chtheme

About gconf2-d, I have the same problem. I actually started from a cleaned system without gnome. So firefox does not need it and runs fine. After I emerged gconf2-d, firefox started to load it. This probably means that some other library which firefox depends on, check if gconf is available and loads it.

What do you mean by tearaway menus?
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec;
I've tried xfce4, and even though it is a little lighter than gnome-light, I still didn't like it much. I'm trying the get a fairly minimalistic desktop, and something that bears no resemblance to windows. I don't really want any of the toolbars or panels the different DE's provide, nor do I want icons on the desktop. I'm really happy with just enlightenment's pager and iconbox, the latter of which I rarely even use. Also, I'm trying to accomplish everything in my first post without any kind of deamons running in the background, if possible.

ehud;
I use both gtk-chtheme and gtk-theme-switch (which has an earlier version for gtk+ 1 themes), but neither seem to be capable of doing what I'm looking for. If it's doable it's probably as simple as changing a value or two in a config file somewhere, but I can't find any info on where.

The firefox/gconfd-2 thing; I know firefox itself tries to fit in with gnome if it finds it on your system, but I want try to stop it from loading when I'm not using gnome, which is always. Again, I'm sure there must be an option hidden away in a config file somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm going to keep looking, maybe take a peep at gnome daemons' source files to see how they do what they do.
Like I'll really be able to make any sense of it. :roll:
But anyway.
Wi1d
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to do something similiar and have a question. What package is "/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon" in? Could someone do a "qpkg -f /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon" if you have it so I don't have to install all of gnome?
DaSch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you are looking for this?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-273187-highlight-.html
effloresce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, does that work under openbox as well?
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaSch wrote:
maybe you are looking for this?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-273187-highlight-.html

Exactly was I was looking for. Thank you!
(and god damn the forum search :evil: )
I actually tried something like that before, but it wouldn't work.
I think I was trying to include the index.theme file. :roll:

That's number one down.

As for #2, I discovered that even in gnome the tearaway menus in the apps I was looking at (emelfm2, GTK-Gnutella) were not disabled.
Must only apply to gnome apps, which I don't really use.
So #2 is probably not doable.

That just leaves preventing firefox from starting gconfd.

Wi1d wrote:
Could someone do a "qpkg -f /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon" if you have it so I don't have to install all of gnome?

Here ya go;
Code:
gentoo ~ # qpkg -f /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-base/control-center *

effloresce wrote:
Hm, does that work under openbox as well?

I don't see why it wouldn't. Works perfectly in enlightenment.
effloresce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I supposed to have an iconrc file within the icon folder? I can't find one for gnant (gant? I guess)
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effloresce;
I looked in all the directories in /usr/share/icons, and only found an iconrc file within the Rodent theme directory, the one used in the link DaSch provided.

There were a number of iconrc's within the gtk-2.0 directories for certain themes within /usr/share/themes, but none of these worked for me.

However, if you have the rodent iconrc file, you shuld be able to use it as a template to use whatever icons you want. t'll just take a little work.
I'm going to try this in about a week when I have more free time.
Thorium
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to set icon themes for gtk apps is to add the following to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (or ~/.gtkrc.mine if you are using a gtk theme manager like gtk-chtheme):
Code:
gtk-icon-theme-name = "<themename>"

Check these threads for further reading and configuring:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-232653-highlight-gtkrc+mine.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-327700-highlight-gtkrc+mine.html
matroskin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wrote a small howto explaining how to stop firefox from using gconf
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-342417.html
gwolf
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A few "gtk without gnome" desktop questions Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:

1: How do you specify an icon theme to be used for all gtk apps, for stuff like file open dialogs? In bmp and simular apps, the dialogs use the default theme, which I find quite ugly. I know it's been brought up in the forums before, but I haven't seen a suggestion that works.

[Edit; SOLVED, take a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-273187-highlight-.html, thanks to DaSch for pointing it out]

But from where you get the iconrc file? I only have index.theme file in each icons' directory.
effloresce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorium wrote:
Another way to set icon themes for gtk apps is to add the following to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (or ~/.gtkrc.mine if you are using a gtk theme manager like gtk-chtheme):
Code:
gtk-icon-theme-name = "<themename>"

Check these threads for further reading and configuring:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-232653-highlight-gtkrc+mine.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-327700-highlight-gtkrc+mine.html

This worked for me. Thank you.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off;
Thorium - thanks, your method works too, but with different results than the method DaSch pointed out.
Using (in /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc)
Code:
gtk-icon-theme-name = "Rodent"

uses one set of icons, while using
Code:
include "/usr/share/icons/Rodent/iconrc"

uses a different set.
(Check out the file open dialog of beep-media-player (compiled without the gnome use flag) or a similar gtk2 app to see the changes).

The reason is the Rodent icon set has both a 48x48 pixel png and a scalable svg set, and the different methods are using different versions. However, the "include" method provides different icons for the toolbar in Rox-filer.
So both methods are worth playing around with.

gwolf;
The only iconrc file I found that worked was the one pointed out, /usr/share/icons/Rodent/iconrc, but try the method Thorium pointed out, which seems to work for other icon sets.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matroskin;

Perfect!

Followed your instructions to the letter (but with a different firefox install directory), and no more gconfd-2.
I have absolutely no idea how this works, but it does, so I'm happy.

Thank you!

For others trying this, the install directory for me was
Code:
/usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/

from the mozilla-firefox package in portage. Should be the same for the binary version I would think.
matroskin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:

I have absolutely no idea how this works, but it does, so I'm happy.

it's not a secret :-). run this command.
Code:
strace -f 2>&1 firefox | grep gconf

you will see firefox trying to execute gconfd-3 and (no surprise) failing
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just tried firefox in a terminal (easier than emerging strace, we're not all programmers you know :wink: ) and got
Code:
GConf Error: Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to execute child process "/usr/libexec/gconfd-3"
(No such file or directory)

Nice!

And again, thanks for the great tip.
gwolf
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again!

I used the ideas from this thread about changing the icon theme for gtk apps, and here's an overview about what I've found out, hopefully this saves some hours of work for somebody.

1. I did not have any icon set that has iconrc file, so I installed gnome-themes-extras, which had 5-6 themes that included iconrc files, but the location was slightly different than that mentioned by DaSch: e.g., to use Nuvola icons, I wrote
include "/usr/share/themes/Nuvola/gtk-2.0/iconrc" into ~/.gtkrc-2.0. And this works nicely, although not all icons are changed.

2. Next I tried the idea by Thorium, and wrote gtk-icon-theme-name = "Nuvola" into ~/.gtkrc-2.0 as well. Using the both lines at the same time gave the best look, since they seem to apply to (atleast somewhat) different places (as Hopeless already said).

3. So, everything was almost ok, but since I am quite used to Slick icons (am using KDE), I wanted to get the same look for gtk apps too. I am also using gtk-qt-engine, which allows gtk apps to use the same widgets that I am using in qt apps. But yesterday I (almost accidentally) found out that gtk-qt-engine actually provides something like iconrc as well (look inside ~/.gtk_qt_engine_rc), but it did not work for me so far, because of some missing commas in script. So I ran beep-media-player from console, got error messages similar to
Code:
/home/m/.gtk_qt_engine_rc:62: error: unexpected character `{', expected character `}'

, inserted the comma between "}" and "{" and repeated that until bmp did not complain anymore at startup.
As a result of this the gnome base icons were replaced by Slick icons in almost same places where Nuvola icons where after step 1. (The problem remains, that .gtk_qt_engine_rc is replaced with every boot and the errors are back, but there are several ways to get over this).

4. Next I also wanted to get Slick icons to places where Nuvola icons were after step 2. So I downloaded the slick icons for Gnome from http://art.gnome.org/, placed them under /usr/share/icons/, wrote gtk-icon-theme-name = "Slick" into ~/.gtkrc-2.0, and the result was almost what I wanted, but... The problem is that KDE slick icons seem to be improved since the Gnome slick icons were last updated and the look was still not as nice as I expected. Therefore I googled around some more and finally found a nice python script called misgnomer written by Chromakode. This script is meant for converting KDE icon themes to Gnome icon themes, and it did exactly that. (It gave some errors, though, but they seem to be not critical). The only place I found so far where one can download the script, is in MisGnomer development thread in http://www.linuxcult.com/forum/ forum (registration is also required). And, of course, the script is not specifically for slick icons, you can convert every(?) KDE icon theme to Gnome icon theme with it. I am actually surprised that this script is not in wider use, because it seems really really useful ;-)

Well, happy end!

Thanks everyone for ideas and help!
And sorry for my English :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: