Time, date and zoneinfo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cazza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Time, date and zoneinfo Reply with quote

I have a problem with the clock of my gentoo machine, and after some googling I only got more confused. The issue is this: When I reboot, my clock is ok, but occasionally when my gentoo hangs and I have to press reset, the clock is wrong by one hour (one hour late).

I have set /etc/localtime to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Brussels (which differs with UTC or Greenwich time by +1 hour). The kernel is set to use the hardware clock as UTC, and in /etc/rc.local I have the line CLOCK="local". I use a ntp server to synchronize with (ntpd shuts down however when the time-difference between the system clock and the ntp-server exceeds one hour)

But now I get these results:
Code:
$ hwclock --utc
Thu Apr 21 18:28:53 2005  -0.945329 seconds
$ hwclock --localtime
Thu Apr 21 16:28:58 2005  -0.570309 seconds
$ date
Thu Apr 21 17:29:02 CEST 2005
$ date -u
Thu Apr 21 15:29:04 UTC 2005

(it is really 17.29 when typing this). All this does not make very much sense to me. The date command indeed gives the correct time, but that's it. The hardware clock is wrong, both as utc and localtime (why is the difference 2 hours by the way), as is the utc-time returned by date (also two hours off, but in the other direction...).

If anyone can help me on this, or give some explanation what these different things mean, I would be very gratefull.

thank you

PS: this may not look like a big issue, but we have 80 identical gentoo installations running here which all have this problem, and figuring out once and for all what goes wrong with this clock-issue is less work than manually correcting clocks every now and then.
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probalby want to check out /etc/conf.d/clock and make sure that it says CLOCK="UTC"
I think somehow it's try to slam the clock in a few different directions and ultimately it things "Oh the clock is UTC, and I meant for it to be in local so *bampf* +1 hour!"

Might also want to set your rc.local to be CLOCK="UTC" as well. Pretty sure that you want all these files to agree on what is set to what. Could be wrong, I don't have an rc.local on my machine.

hth,

Petyr
cazza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer. At first however I did not find this clock configfile you are talking about, untill I realised this requires the new baselayout. Since I preferrably use the stable versions of things (research environment here), this solution is not possible for me.

I did however solve the problem another way. First of all, the two hour timedifference was due to the daylight savings time that is in effect here, but not in UTC. Messing with the UTC or local settings still did not solve the problem, but using ntp-client did however. This program gets called before ntpd starts, and syncs the systemclock with an ntp-server instead the hwclock. The config file is in /etc/conf.d/ntp-client (fill in an accessible server there), and it should be added to the default runlevel.

At least now the clock is always correct after a reboot :)

Thanks
DRSON
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In old baselayout CLOCK="local" is in /etc/rc.conf
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: