immediate problems; sata hd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anomally
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: immediate problems; sata hd Reply with quote

I'm sure you see alot of issues with sata hds and here is yet another (atleast I think it is the problem). Right at the very beginning of my install, when I'm "preparing disks," I have a problem when I try and mount the swap space:
Code:

swapon /dev/sda2
swapon: /dev/sda2: Device or resource busy

Also when I try and mount /mnt/gentoo to the newly formatted partitions, I get the following error:
Code:

mount: /dev/sda3 already mounted or /mnt/gentoo busy

The first partition is EXT2 and the third is ReiserFS (no problems in fdisk). I only have one sata hd, no pata hd in this system. This drive is on the Promise 20376 controller and so I had to put it in an array (even though its just one HD). What can I do? I'm not even sure this is doable and if it is, if it is worth it. Somebody please help me out. Thanks.8)
Anomally
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Permission issues with sata hd Reply with quote

when I try an untar the first stage tarball I get lots of errors, the vast majority of which are like the following:
Code:

cannot [change mode/ownership or open] :Read-only file system

I don't know how to resolve this or my first issue with mounting the different FS's. Can somebody help? Suggestions?
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anomally,

Are you absolutely sure you have to put the single drive into a "mirror" just because you have a Promise 20376 controller? I know for fact on a Dual Athlon MP system that help maintain that has a Promise controller that we did NOT have to use the "raid" stuff. I seem to recall we just disabled that stuff in the bios, or skipped it on startup .. it has been a while since I touched that system. Have you checked to see if you can "disable" the raid features of the controller in the bios?
Anomally
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll double check: I'll delete the array and try working from there
Anomally
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: [RESOLVED] Reply with quote

Looks like your right, I don't need any array configurations. I'm used to having atleast some sort of configuration setup in the RAID menu in order to use a sata hd, I guess not so with Promise controllers. Thanks for your help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: