swap question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: swap question Reply with quote

ok I have 3000+ 333 mhz fsb 3 six 512 meg ddr 400 Geforce fx5950ultra 256 meg agp 8x, 120 meg hd.

My question is, how much does swap really matter, I have 512 megs right noe which i think is plenty, but my friend says that one time he tried 1 gigabyte swap and it made his install "faster than fuck" I have limited knowledge of exactly how swapspace is used, but it has something to do with when ram is full. He has 512 megs of ram. Will my system performance be boosted if I set swap to 1gig, would just test it out, but it would be a pain because Id have to move my root partiton over 512 megs and such and... mumble grumble lasdjg.. :)
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a 1G swap is not going to dramatically improve your systems performance, regardless of what speed cpu you have. How much swap you "need" depends on what your computer is used for. As a desktop, very little swap is needed. As a server you might need a 1G swap for periods of high load where the ram can get swamped very rapidly.

As a followup you might try reading this thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: