Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
issues with clamd and xkb (xorg) - resolved (/var/tmp)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tschenturs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: issues with clamd and xkb (xorg) - resolved (/var/tmp) Reply with quote

Hi

After some upgrades last night, I noticed the following issues this morning:

A) clamd-0.85 didn't come up, couldn't write into the temporary directory /var/tmp. Silly enough, I managed to quickly resolved this issue by changing the temp directory in /etc/clamd from /var/tmp to /tmp - which worked - but wasn't the cure to the problem.

B) xkb keymaps couldn't be loaded (Xorg.log complained: "Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap")
This resulting in dead ALT keys, stopped my from typing a pipe or backslash on a Swiss keyboard - or to switch to the terminals via ALT-Fx.
There are many threads about it (e.g. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-227362.html). None helped in my case.

I tried fiddling around with kde, xorg.conf etc. Nothing helped. Later I remembered the clamd issue and checked the properties of /var/tmp. In contrast to another gentoo box, it only showed

Code:

drwxrwxr-t 9 root root 248 Mai 13 08:34 /var/tmp

Code:

chmod o+w /var/tmp

resolved both issues (after reverting the change in /etc/clamd.conf).

I don't know how the write permission for 'others' got lost. I might have somehow done it, maybe something else during an upgrade (?)

HTH, Urs
WladyX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, i was having the same issuse with X and keybord, your solution bailed me out :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: