Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dedicated server locking up, how can I find out what it is?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Dedicated server locking up, how can I find out what it is? Reply with quote

Hey, I've setup my new dedicated server and everything was going well but it's happened twice that I can't get access to it. I only have access over SSH so when it locks up I have to call and have them reboot it. How can I find out what's causing this since I can't see the screen when it happens? Logs I presume but what logs should I look at and what should I be looking for?
mattt416
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your best bet is to have the remote hands relay what errors/state the machine is in when it's "locked up". If the system has crashed w/ a kernel panic, there should be a trace of it on the console. Faulty hardware will often cause the system to lock up with a "black screen", where nothing at all is visible on the screen. Also, is the machine pingable when you cannot ssh to it? If so, the system might still be alive but just under extremely heavy load. The remote hands should see a login prompt at console, but logins will take an extended time to authenticate (causing them to just power-cycle the server to get it back online).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: