Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Making GDM Run .xsession (or Equivalent)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsuki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Making GDM Run .xsession (or Equivalent)? Reply with quote

I've recently switched from Gnome to Openbox3, and am having problems with GDM (which I'd like to keep on using). The Openbox option in GDM just runs Openbox and nothing else, whereas I'd like other programs to be run at the same time. (I'm currently using XDM since that runs my ~/.xsession stuff fine.)

I've read around on the 'net, but I can't seem to find out what I need to do. Neither "Default" or "Custom" options will run my .xsession (nor do they seem to run .gnomerc or .Xclients, which are other files I've seen people suggest). They just dump me in twm.

Apparently GDM now uses /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop files instead, and I experimented with making openbox.desktop run my ~/.xsession without success.

Any ideas how I can solve this? I'm just after some way of making GDM execute a script I've written, preferably one specific to my user rather than available to everyone.

Thanks in advance,
Ian
pogi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to edit /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default and see if its what you want. As far as i know, gdm looks for commands in this file, but i don't know when... (on gdm start or when the wm starts). i've never used gdm (xdm is far enough for my fluxbox :) so handle this tip with attention...

pogi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: