View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Cannot display Japanese characters in moziia or other X apps Reply with quote

Today I moved from Debian to Gentoo, and found it rocks!! Thank you!! It's highly customized, and flexible.

I still am compiling gnome and now using plain vanilla X with xterm/twm, and found my mozilla or firefox doesn't display Japanese characters. Other pages say recent gentoo releases can handle Japanese chars as a matter of course, but it's not the case with mine.

What's the trick? Will anyone point me to the right direction / links?
I installed kochi fonts, and actually xlsfonts says there are some japanese fonts, such as rk14,rk16,rk24, and even xfontsel displays Japanese characters as -jis-*-*-*-..... is selected. So I'm sure Japanese fonts are installled on my box. Then why doesn't mozilla disoplay Japanese chars? I saw Japanese gentoo site also, but it looks like Japanese chars are displayed as a matter of course and doesn't mention how it's configured....

Thanks in advance!!:D
elvisthedj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the cjk use flag when you emerged xorg?

cjk - Adds support for Multi-byte character languages (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)

Add it to your use flags in /etc/make.conf

Since you're new to gentoo, if you haven't done so already you might want to read up on use flags.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/USE_Flags_explained

edit: There might be another way to do this that doesn't involve recompling xorg, but I'm not sure. You might want to google for xorg gentoo multibyte or something like that :)
maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvisthedj wrote:
Did you use the cjk use flag when you emerged xorg?

cjk - Adds support for Multi-byte character languages (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)

Add it to your use flags in /etc/make.conf

Since you're new to gentoo, if you haven't done so already you might want to read up on use flags.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/USE_Flags_explained

edit: There might be another way to do this that doesn't involve recompling xorg, but I'm not sure. You might want to google for xorg gentoo multibyte or something like that :)

Thanks, I haven't done that.. :) I saw that option on a homepage, but it's an old page and I ddin't mind it!! damn.:oops: I should have tried it.

I've been using *BSD->RedHat->Debian, but I've never had that problem like this. Why is it necessary in gentoo? In my experience on BSD/OS, FreeBSD, RedHat, Debian, xserver (yes, it's xfree86 instead of xorg) doesn't require cjk for Japanese capability even if I compile xserver from the source downloaded from an xfree86 mirror site. Some of debian packages have cjk in the name, but any of xfree86-related packages doesn't Is it an xorg specific option? To tell the truth I was almost about to compile/install xfree86 from the source.

Anyway thanks!
elvisthedj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure if this would be included by default if you complied from source or not. I've been using gentoo since I changed to xorg. It's possible, that it is stripped out by a gentoo specific patch, or it's possible that if you were compiling from source, you might need to specify some configure option to get it to enable multibyte. You can look at the ebuild to see what it's doing. If you want to check the available use flags for a package, you can do this:

Code:

# equery uses xorg-x11
[ Searching for packages matching xorg-x11... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend        : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf                   ]
[                  : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1 ]
 U I
 - - 3dfx             : Adds support for 3dfx video cards to XFree86. See: voodoo3
 + + 3dnow            : Adds support for 3dnow multimedia processor instructions
 + + bitmap-fonts     : <unknown>
 - - cjk              : Adds support for Multi-byte character languages (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
 - - debug            : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too
 - - dlloader         : <unknown>
 - - dmx              : <unknown>
 - - doc              : Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)
 - - font-server      : <unknown>
 + - hardened         : activate default security enhancements for toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils)
 - - insecure-drivers : <unknown>
 + + ipv6             : Adds support for IP version 6
 - - minimal          : Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins, fonts, most drivers, non-critical features)
 + + mmx              : Adds support for optimizations for Pentium MMX and Athlon class processors
 + + nls              : <unknown>
 + + opengl           : Adds support for OpenGL
 + + pam              : <unknown>
 - - sdk              : <unknown>
 - + sse              : fast floating point optimization for PentiumIII+ class chips
 - - static           : !!do not set this during bootstrap!! Causes binaries to be statically linked instead of dynamically
 + + truetype-fonts   : <unknown>
 + + type1-fonts      : <unknown>
 - - uclibc           : Enable uclibc specific patches and build or link uclibc
 - - xprint           : Support for xprint, http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xprint/
 + + xv               : Adds in optional support for the Xvideo extension (an X API for video playback)
 - - debug            : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too

if you don't have equery, emerge gentoolkit to get it.

Now that you have that flag in your make.conf, any pagckage that can use it will. If you only wanted that flag specifically for xorg, you could

Code:

echo "x11-base/xorg-x11 cjk" >> /etc/portage/package.use

maverick6664
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvisthedj wrote:
Well, I'm not sure if this would be included by default if you complied from source or not. I've been using gentoo since I changed to xorg. It's possible, that it is stripped out by a gentoo specific patch, or it's possible that if you were compiling from source, you might need to specify some configure option to get it to enable multibyte. You can look at the ebuild to see what it's doing. If you want to check the available use flags for a package, you can do this:

-snip--

Thank you!! I recompiled and it finished!! Now it displayes Japanese characters normally!! And equery says xorg-x11 has cjk flag on. In the meantime (or forever) I'll use cjk flag in /etc/make.conf for all packages I will compile from now on, but if something weird happens, I will limit it to xorg-x11.

Thanks!! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: