View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jounihat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: No cool cursors or smooth icons for me [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I think the hardware acceleration of the cursors I use may be flawed. The only cursors that show up properly are the original X cursors, and all icons on my desktop and pretty much everywhere else too look kinda jagged (and some smilies here in Gentoo forums have an ugly black background). OpenGL and things like that work without any problems however. Where should I begin to search the root of my problem?

-There's really only one reasonable OS, and that's Open Source!

Last edited by jounihat on Sun May 15, 2005 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, first of all: you should tell us what kind of graphic chip are you using, and, if aplicable, which of the available drivers for that chip.

The first thing I can think of is a refresh rate problem. Look at the refresh rates you set in xorg.conf and compare them with the correct ones specified in the manufacturers website for you model of screen. You can also try disabling the 3d acceleration and using a more generic driver, to see if the problem persist.

Prior to this all I advice you to disable any exotic feature, for example XComposite. If you are using an nVidia card then make sure that none of AllowGLXWithComposite, RenderAccel or HWcursor is enabled in your xorg.conf. If using nVidia also make sure that you disabled the rivafb module in your kernel and also agpart. And double check the refresh settings in both your xorg.conf and in grub/lilo.conf if your are using framebuffer in console.

As last ressort you can try disabling framebuffer in console and using any really generic driver like 'vesa' or 'vga' in xorg.conf, and commenting the line about [Load "glx"], to discard a driver issue. I can't tell you anything more specific about ATI cards, since I haven't one to experiment with it, but there should be also documentation about them around here in the forums.

Any new info is wellcome. Hope this helps in some way. :wink:
jounihat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Correcting the refresh rates fixed the problem. It was just difficult to find real refresh rates to this monitor as it's about ten years old.

-There's really only one reasonable OS, and that's Open Source!
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please edit the title of your post and put [SOLVED] so people dont spend there time reading about a problem that is no longer one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: