View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B0bert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Is gnome installed? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello,

After about a week of trying to get Gentoo to work, I finally got a successful install. I had problems with SATA via genkernel, so a custom install using stage1 finally got me up and running.

The USE flags were set with gnome and gtk as well as hal during the installation, but I'm a little confused whether gnome is completely installed correctly. Had to emerge Xorg because I noticed that startx was missing, so finally after Xorg was installed I was able to get a graphical interface with the basic Xsession with the grey background. But when trying to direct startx to use gnome-session, it cannot seem to find it. Also I'm not sure whether I need to emerge gdm as well? (Does gnome install gdm?) I have gdm and gnome set in the rc.conf file, but only able to get the basic Xsession with xterm. I have set xdm as default with rc-update as well. If anyone can steer me in the right direction that would be great. :)

Last edited by B0bert on Sun May 15, 2005 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwolf
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always check emerge -pv gdm to see, whether it is installed. It is possible that gnome won't install it, because there is no restriction that you must use Gnome with Gdm only. In general, the choice of your window manager does not determine your display manager.
B0bert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried emerge -pv gnome and emerge -pv gdm. It looks as if still some things need updating but unsure why. What would the output be if nothing needs to be done? Would all files be 0kb?

I had a lot of USE flags set during installation, but it seems many things were not installed. I followed the recommend use of emerge --newuse system instead of emerge --emptytree system since I left CXXFLAGS alone. Did that affect the USE flags? Maybe someone can explain the difference.

I just did a emege gnome to see what happens.
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0bert wrote:
I just tried emerge -pv gnome and emerge -pv gdm. It looks as if still some things need updating but unsure why. What would the output be if nothing needs to be done? Would all files be 0kb?

I'd only see:
Code:
$ emerge  -pv gnome

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/gnome-2.10_pre0  -accessibility +cdr -dvdr -hal 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0kB

Remember if you've done sync before last emerge of gnome some files will need to updated, that's why you probably see more than just one (gnome-2.XX) item.

Check if gdm is installed by:
Code:
emerge -pv gdm

if not emerge it, check your rc.conf file, and issue:
Code:
/etc/init.d/xdm start

from console. It should start Gnome Display Manager.
B0bert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

After emerging gnome again everything seems to be working fine. Seems there was a lot of stuff missing after the installation was finished. I think it might have something to do with the fact I used "--newuse system" rather than "--emptytree system", not completely sure though. Anyways after executing the command emerge -pv gnome it looks very similar to the output below except my version of gnome is lower:

Code:
$ emerge  -pv gnome

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/gnome-2.10_pre0  -accessibility +cdr -dvdr -hal 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0kB

gdm was also updated as welll so everything seems to work ok now. thank you. :D
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please mark the thread by placing [SOLVED] in the first post's title.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: