whts the difference between "stage1 , 2 and 3"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feelexit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: whts the difference between "stage1 , 2 and 3" Reply with quote

i just got so confusd of those 3 stages.

wths the difference between them. How are we gonna kno which stage we should pick.

if we pick stage1 and do we sitll have to go through 2 and 3.?

and if we pick stage3 , and we can just skip 1 and 2...

if some1 knows it really well. please explain it to me... thanx.
grafty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: whts the difference between "stage1 , 2 and 3" Reply with quote

feelexit wrote:
i just got so confusd of those 3 stages.

wths the difference between them. How are we gonna kno which stage we should pick.

if we pick stage1 and do we sitll have to go through 2 and 3.?

and if we pick stage3 , and we can just skip 1 and 2...

if some1 knows it really well. please explain it to me... thanx.

Stage 1 consists of a small tarball that contains only enough tools so that you can build your entire system from scratch. This includes bootstrapping GCC, building glibc, and compiling all of the other packages.

Stage 2 constists of a larger tarball that contains everything in Stage 1, plus pre-compiled and pre-installed versions of GCC, glibc, and a few other packages, so that you can skip the bootstrapping process. You must still compile all of the other packages.

Stage 3 constists of an even larger tarball that contains everything in Stage 2, plus pre-compiled and pre-installed versions of all of the packages that are considered "system"-required -- things like perl, bash, automake, etc.... These are the packages that you would normally compile in Stage 2 (and Stage 1, after the bootstrapping process).

The main difference is that Stage 3 is already pre-compiled, so the install is relatively quick (simply untar a file and you're ready to go), but Stage 1 requires that you build the entire system from scratch, which takes longer but is more suited for your system architecture.
feelexit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess for newbie like me , should start from stage 3.

thanx for ur help.
EatYourGreens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, a Gentoo n00b should start with a stage 3. It took me a few attempts to get my Gentoo install right, and I only used stage 1 the first time. It is soul-destroying to go through the whole stage 1 install process, only to find that you have made a mistake that you cannot fix and have to start again. An install using stage 3 is so much quicker.

Also, the differences between stage 1/2 and stage 3 are the compiler options (USE variables), and AFAIK there is no advantage to using a stage 1 install if you don't change the USE variables, since you will end up with exactly the same as if you had used a stage 3 install.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to use the Gentoo Reference Platform (GRP) packages. They will help make your installation process speed up as well. This is mentioned in the Install Doc as well.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EatYourGreens, what did you do to mess up your stage 1 install? If it really is a problem that would require a reinstall, then I think warnings about it should go in the install guide.
EatYourGreens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac, I don't think that any of the problems I had were due to errors with Gentoo, just a stupid noob not understanding what he was doing. I am sure that the problems I had could all have been fixed with config file edits, and issuing commands I had missed from the install guide, but I really did not understand how Gentoo worked. I used SuSE before I tried Gentoo, and I was not ready for how different Gentoo was. I had no idea what chroot was, for example, even after I issued the command, so when I started to get problems, I reinstalled since that seemed the safer thing to do (most of my experience is with DOS/Windows and I used to reinstall Win95 every six months or so, just to keep it stable)

I installed Gentoo using 1.4rc1 and I am sure there were a number of errors in the install guide (mainly things that applied to 1.2 but had not been changed). I recently installed 1.4rc2 on a second computer, and the install guide is much better now. Also, 1.4rc2 is a much better starting point than 1.4rc1, letting me use my German keyboard for example. However, I installed this new computer using stage 3 tarball, since I had no intention of changing the USE flags from the default.

Final comment, before I installed Gentoo for the first time, I spent some time reading the forums to see what kind of problems I could expect. The general feeling I found was that Gentoo can be hard to install and has a steep learning curve, but the reward is a stable system and a much greater understanding of Linux. For me, Gentoo has lived up to these expectations.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EatYourGreens wrote:
Final comment, before I installed Gentoo for the first time, I spent some time reading the forums to see what kind of problems I could expect. The general feeling I found was that Gentoo can be hard to install and has a steep learning curve, but the reward is a stable system and a much greater understanding of Linux. For me, Gentoo has lived up to these expectations.

This is about the best way to describe the process to someone who has no really deep familiarity with Linux, but is really interested and willing to put in some effort to learning it. Very well said. I'm glad that you've stuck with things. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: