Gentoo boot floppy?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boogerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Gentoo boot floppy? Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm back to my laptop where the dvd drive broke, so my usb enclosure came in the mail, but the laptop doesn't boot off of usb. So I'm trying to make a boot floppy.
I've been trying to follow this: https://psmail.pstcc.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8690
but whenever I download an image and create a disk, my laptopt tells me it's either not a system disk or that there is no ramdisk image present (which there is).

This link sugests using another distro's boot floppy, so I've tried about 7 from slackware with no luck. Is there a gentoo boot floppy? Anybody no how to create one? The only requirement is that it be able to us a usb cd drive. I even have the full install disk, so I don't even need to worry about a network (although it might be nice, but I don't care at this point. I'll use my desktop for speed happy stuff.)

Please help.

EDIT---
I should add that the only computers with floppy drives I currently have access to are running windows, so I'm stuck with that rawrite tool, and not dd. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, but I thought I might mention it.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps network-booting would be a good idea (if your laptop supports it): Grab a KNOPPIX-CD, start the 'KNOPPIX Terminal Server', and network-boot your laptop.
boogerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cool, I made a another bootdisk to try, and I inserted it when it asked for the ramdisk disk and it seemed to work. I guess that the *.s is the boot disk and the *.dsk is the ramdisk image. At least that's the way it seems to be on the slackware mirrors.

It does support network boot, I may try that later, but I'm more concerned about getting gentoo on it at the moment. Now as I have a way to boot up to the prompt, I think I can get there.

Anyway, I'm going to leave this as unsolved, because I'll probably have a few more questions about network boot. I'll see when I get home from work though. Thanks for the reply and cool idea.
boogerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard of a six floppy bootup for slackware that has full usb support, anybody heard of it?
If so, please enlighten me, I would love to get gentoo onthis thing. I've been dealing with windows 98 and no drivers for way to long.
Thanks.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use KNOPPIX as a Gentoo bootstrap environment, no problem.
boogerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
You can use KNOPPIX as a Gentoo bootstrap environment, no problem.

yeah, I've done that before, but it's always been from a cd drive, or a computer that had an internal IDE cd drive. I'm looking for a disk that can be booted from to start knoppix from an external drive. I've tried a few, but they haven't workd. Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: