GUI installation for Gentoo ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ooosb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: GUI installation for Gentoo ? Reply with quote

hi all. my question basically is:

does Gentoo come with a graphical user interface installation on the "Gentoo x86 Universal Installer CD"?

ive installed Redhat in this manner. very easy. exept i ended up not liking rathat for various reasons so now im either going for Gentoo or Mandrake. i know mandrake quite tweakable and alot of software supports it. but i like the super complexity that gentoo seems to have. the problem is that im a n00b when it comes to linux. i dont want a simpler-than-windohwz-OS (like rathat) but i dont feel like using all sorts of commands to install gentoo not really knowing what im doing. basically i like to change, tweak, set, alter as much as possible without needing to know any computer languages or commands. so,

does gentoo come with a GUI setup?
does one need any knowlage of commands during operation in the OS?
(yeah ofcourse you do i guess, but say i dont, will that limit my possibilities in gentoo to the extent that im better of using a other linx OS to start of with? yeah i know people like to start of with sushi or suse whatever but that just seems to bacis for my needs)

thnxxxxxxx
8)
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: ------? GUI installation for Gentoo ?------- Reply with quote

ooosb wrote:
hi all. my question basically is:

does Gentoo come with a graphical user interface installation on the "Gentoo x86 Universal Installer CD"?

No.
ooosb wrote:

ive installed Redhat in this manner. very easy. exept i ended up not liking rathat for various reasons so now im either going for Gentoo or Mandrake. i know mandrake quite tweakable and alot of software supports it. but i like the super complexity that gentoo seems to have. the problem is that im a n00b when it comes to linux. i dont want a simpler-than-windohwz-OS (like rathat) but i dont feel like using all sorts of commands to install gentoo not really knowing what im doing. basically i like to change, tweak, set, alter as much as possible without needing to know any computer languages or commands.

Then Gentoo is not the Linux distro for you. You will have to learn to enter commands using the keyboard just to complete the install.
ooosb wrote:
so,

does gentoo come with a GUI setup?

No.
ooosb wrote:

does one need any knowlage of commands during operation in the OS?

Very definitely yes.
ooosb wrote:

(yeah ofcourse you do i guess, but say i dont, will that limit my possibilities in gentoo to the extent that im better of using a other linx OS to start of with? yeah i know people like to start of with sushi or suse whatever but that just seems to bacis for my needs)

thnxxxxxxx
8)

I'd suggest Ubuntu if you want a Linux distro that does not require much use of a keyboard.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooosb: Fixed thread title. In future posts, please don't use lots of --- or other characters in an attempt to draw attention. Thanks.
gnuageux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats total bs. The install guide is written so well that if you can read you can install gentoo. Theres a bunch of elitests out there that think that getting a gentoo box up and running makes them a linux guru, nothing could be further from the truth. There is a graphical install but its 3rd party. I can't remember where it lives but Im sure uncle google knows.

And theres even an offiical graphical installer in the works:
linky

Registered Linux user#364538
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnuageux wrote:
I think thats total bs. The install guide is written so well that if you can read you can install gentoo.

The OP's question was: Can this be done without touching the keyboard?
gnuageux wrote:
Theres a bunch of elitests out there that think that getting a gentoo box up and running makes them a linux guru, nothing could be further from the truth. There is a graphical install but its 3rd party. I can't remember where it lives but Im sure uncle google knows.

And theres even an offiical graphical installer in the works:
linky

What, passing alpha-quality stuff to n00bs?
ooosb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i think i know enuf.
will start of with mandrake, learn the shit, then switch to genoo
thnx for the help

peace
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooosb wrote:
ok i think i know enuf.
will start of with mandrake, learn the shit, then switch to genoo
thnx for the help

peace

Like the other guy said, if you can read the Installation guide you can install Gentoo with little problems, if any at all. I wasn't sure of Gentoo when I started either, but I got everything working my first try, even on my laptop with a 1400x900 display and wireless.
boogerman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go with mandrake if you don't like redhat (which I aplaud you on BTW), they are pretty much the same with different names.

The problem with gui tools is that they don't always work. My experience is that they should be avoided at all cost. For example when I took a linux class and they decided to use redhat. Their gui formater/partitioner couldn't fully remove the previous windows partitions. We went in with fdisk and all work great. There are several more examples, but I wish to not write a book here.

If you are looking for a distro to get your feet wet before using gentoo (which is nice, but not completely necessary), I would recomend either Ubuntu like kimchi_sg did or slackware (which is what I used). They should get you going.

However, the hand book is very good, it doesn't get to the nitty gritty customizing, but if you do what it says you will get gentoo on your handbook. There are several people who have gentoo installed as there first distrobution.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
armandojnc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: It teaches as you install Reply with quote

I tried live distros Knoppix Gnome 2.1 etc

I installed some and learned somethings about console ...ls ...etc
With Gentoo you can learn that while installing into your own system
(You need time to do it and remember to cp your install guide into the system before changing root)
(I AM TOO NEW IN LINUX) (It is better than i had thought )

From other forums I heard that this is the best linux thats why i came here to test and install
anaconda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: It teaches as you install Reply with quote

Quote:
and remember to cp your install guide into the system before changing root

You have a few more consoles, don't you? :)

Well, to my experience, I wanted to understand what Linux is. So I chose Gentoo as my first distro. I really wanted to understand how it works so I bought a few books and read some things to get ready to start. I think if you have some time and want to learn linux basis, build your Gentoo system! The experience worth that. And as people here say, there's an excellent handbook that really helps. I'm a stupid woman that installed Gentoo as her first Linux distro within weekends. It's easy! I would recommend Gentoo anyway :)
Good luck!
ooosb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok :D

well im not excectly computer illiturate so i should be fine installing gentoo..
you guys got me really curious am i belive gentoo is the way to go..

i just Love using my mouse and to just have the keyboard as a shortcut machine at the side.
im own autocad and dreamweaver and those are good examples of GUI tools with a big complexity yet user friendlyness.
and thats the user friendlyness im searching for. i dont an OS with 3 buttoms and 2 options. that not "user friendly" thats "user=retarded".
but i dont want to type my ass off with commands to change some settings. i want a graphical overview with options to click on.
take windows 2003 server: theres alot of sharings options, very adjustable yet Easy to setup.
check, i think with the processing and grapical power around these days, haing to type commands is kinda silly.
i like simplicity. let the technology and programmers do the hard work if you know what i mean.
basically, i like to do Alot but to do it Simple. is gentoo still the right chose for me?

summary:
ok i dont mind the non-GUI installation. but after, while working with Gentoo. i want to be able to do 95% with my mouse only. is that possible/ the case?

:D thnxxx
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooosb wrote:
ok i dont mind the non-GUI installation. but after, while working with Gentoo. i want to be able to do 95% with my mouse only. is that possible/ the case?

Depends on what you want to do.

For example, there are a few GUI front ends for Portage. However, they may not be as flexible and fast as emerge, which is the command line interface to portage.
GoofballJM1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a GUI installation of Gentoo, there is one in the works

http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/gli/

My first experiences with linux over 2 years ago started out with Mandrake and Red Hat mostly. It was easy to install and it worked right of the box for the most part. Did I learn much about how Linux works? Not really. I was from the windows world like most of us and I depended on a GUI for everything. I tried out Gentoo, and I followed the instructions exactly and I successfully installed from Stage 1 on my first try and haven't looked back since. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: