Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
is this AGP problem or Motherboard problem?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: is this AGP problem or Motherboard problem? Reply with quote

hi,
recently i build up my box and I found that something is wrong withit.
situation goes like;
1, "power" lamp just goes off and freeze(WIN&LINUX)
2, if I play some games it just freeze off (WIn&LINUX)
3, if I play AVI files or other video files, that power lamp goes OFF completly and freeze.

so I'm sure there is something wrong with my hardware. but not sure which one should I replace it.

my system looks like
AGP: Nvidia Geforece FX 5200
CPU: Intel P4 2.8E Ghz
Motherboard: MSI P4 865PE
Power: Perx 350w
I only have1 IDE CDR drive connected

if I could i wannted to change to Athlon with another Motherboard but i dont have $ to buy them all doh
anyone has idea which one should I replace to slove this problem?
infecticide
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try re-seating all of your hardware to ensure it is inserted properly and then boot a Gentoo Live CD and at the prompt run the memtest program.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Try this Reply with quote

I have a hunch it could be PSU issues. Try borrowing a friend's PSU if you can. Something not only in the 450+watt range, but also something with 30 or more amps on the 12v rail. I was having similar issues, and a new PSU fixed it completely. Remember even some high wattage PSUs lack sufficient ampereage on the 12v rail. Read the specs.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oki, most of friends near by me arent geeks :D so I am planning to buy something new p supply,
will something like this http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cases/ultra/psu/ult30950/ should be fine?
I dont have experience of buying PSU only so I prob need to go out n check those outs

btw, thx for the info. hope this will fix the problem.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antiwmac wrote:
oki, most of friends near by me arent geeks :D so I am planning to buy something new p supply,
will something like this http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cases/ultra/psu/ult30950/ should be fine?
I dont have experience of buying PSU only so I prob need to go out n check those outs

btw, thx for the info. hope this will fix the problem.

Before rushing out to buy new hardware I think a more thorough testing of all your hardware should be done.
Check your memory like suggest above. Run with minimal hardware. (no CD or extra PCI cards).

Try a LiveCD and boot into a non-graphical environment and do some CPU/HD intensive tasks.

The problems you mention could be anything: power supply, video card, ram.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as the other suggestions you should try and do a thorough test of your PS first before buying a new one.

To do this you'd need a simple multimeter

1) Unhook everything from the power supply and power up.
2) Attach the black lead to a ground (like your case) and the red lead to one of the power cables on the red spot.
3) Turn dial to check DC voltage. It should be +5V (if it's slightly higher that's fine).
4) Leave the leads the same and turn the dial to AC voltage (will be im mV).

Do that again with the parts hooked back in.

If the DC voltage goes down, you'll need to replace the PS.

And if that AC voltage read goes up by about 3-4 times, then you need to replace the PS.

Of course, most people don't have multimeters sitting around.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty guys again.
I think i got some tester out in the storage room so I gonna check that out.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. If you are able to do what I was suggesting, please note that when I said that you should read the AC voltage that this is AC voltage running of the DC current coming out of the PS. The higher the "AC wiggle" the worse the PS.

It's so funny cause we were just learning how to do this little stuff in a peripherals class I'm taking. Granted, it's pretty basic stuff.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg:D
i think i lost my tester :(

so btw, I found 540W @ cheap price in local shop today, I think i just gonna rush in tmrw again and buy that one.
(even this isnt PSU problem, my PSU currently using is pretty messed up(I opened the cover just for fun b4:D so I just gonna buy new PSU n see what happends)
I now pretty sure how to produce the same thing, (play AA with weapon cache map for abt 20rounds) so tmrw after i replace my PSU its AA time :)

let u know the results.
tomcat22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Try this Reply with quote

bammbamm808 wrote:
I have a hunch it could be PSU issues. Try borrowing a friend's PSU if you can. Something not only in the 450+watt range, but also something with 30 or more amps on the 12v rail. I was having similar issues, and a new PSU fixed it completely. Remember even some high wattage PSUs lack sufficient ampereage on the 12v rail. Read the specs.

why @ 12V?? most power is going about 3V3! here it is critical to have enough amps (minimum 30!!) some psu's with 350w do afford this, other with 450w or more do not! so be careful, don't just buy the first cheap one.

tom
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that my PSU came with the case is pretty LOW rated,
Code:

DC OUTPUT:350W
and +12v=6A

while 300w ones says +12V=9A
Deepak420
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antiwmac wrote:
I opened the cover just for fun b4:D

Yeah, I'd recommend you not do that anymore. Some of the capacitors in those suckers are pure evil.
hatchet_ryda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to get a basic idea of whats going on from inside of windows would be to use speedfan to watch for variances in all the voltages, but pay closest attention to the 12v rail as it drives the main devices. Anything beyond a 10% variance and the PSU is bad or incapable of delivering enough power to your box. Just one way to check it out since your dual booting.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, bought ATX-480W for S$25 (really cheap isnit) i'm cheapy person i always look for junks :D
then what a BIG surprize!!

the fps incresed 2x!!! and I feel like my X starting etc is twise faster!
and I have played some AVI's and seems sloved it.
( i need to play games and play videos many times to know it really fixed or not anyway)

btw, the America'sArmy 's fps is really increased 2x. before was hanging around 20-50 in wepon cache, now 60-88!
that was surprize for me.

anyway thank you verymuch for suggestion of replacing PSU. that was the answer i guess. no problems at all now.
tomcat22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatchet_ryda wrote:
Another way to get a basic idea of whats going on from inside of windows would be to use speedfan to watch for variances in all the voltages, but pay closest attention to the 12v rail as it drives the main devices. Anything beyond a 10% variance and the PSU is bad or incapable of delivering enough power to your box. Just one way to check it out since your dual booting.

thats not really right! most power goes up to cpu and all that stuff, that's at 3v3 :!: main devices like harddisk need 12v and 5v, but even 6a @12v are more than enough for it! image, that are 72w (without 5v)!!! no "main devices" needs such a power, even not all together. ich can only repeat, that the only important thing is enough power at 3v3, all other things are less important :!: 30 amps minimum @3v3, and your system will run.

@topicstarter: how much amps @3v3 has had your old psu und how much does the new one have?

tom
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatchet_ryda wrote:

I dont really get what you mean
but you saying you want me to insall whole windowze to monitor fans + voltages?
there is voltage monitor in bios sometimes (and mine too) its handy and I used to check my voltage b4 and after PSU replace.
if thats what youare talking about.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>@topicstarter: how much amps @3v3 has had your old psu und how much does the new one have?
donno, it doesnt say on the sticker.

here is my old PSU OUTPUT
+5v/22A
-5v/0.3A
+5v(fp)/1.2A
+12v/6A
-12v/0.3A
+3.3/14A

and my new PSU OUTPUT(this one also doesnt say amps donno wether it can be calcuated or not)
+5v/35A
-5v/0.5A
+SVSB/2.0A
+12v/17A
-12v/0.5A
+3.3v/27A

for its price, i can forgive if its not enought amps etc but it did slove my problems :)
tomcat22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antiwmac wrote:

+3.3/14A

believe me, that was the real problem, but now everything is okay ;)

tom
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks okay now, but I heard wiard sound so i opened up the box and i found that AGP's fan is broken.
i gonna go replace the fan :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: