[SOLVED]Gentoo.....reboot than...!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandokan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Gentoo.....reboot than...! Reply with quote

Hey guys!!

I finished installing and than I started complicating? with emerge....

I did this comands in the same order...and I would like to know if I need to repair or clean some thing.....becaus I realy don`t want to start from begining....I was runing my computer for last two days...

I started with....

emerge kde kdevelop mplayer mozilla

THAN I did

emerge --sync

THAN

emerge gnumeric

THAN

well here I did this and I dont know if this was a bad idea

emerge --usepkg kde
(I thought this will install kde desktop enviroment / you know to start using graphical....

THAN

emerge qt

I belive this is all

So ...should I uninstall something or is EMERGE --USEPKG
I dont have GRP cd from gentoo
I was installing stage3-athlon-xp

I thougt that with emerge I will only bring down packages from web and after if I want to use them I must use this comand EMERGE --USEPKG to install and to start using....

Please help ......

If I want to use kde ,now I need to go to its folder and vrite kdm comand....is this normal or should kde start by it self at beginning...

Oh,I fuc...it up didnt I

What shold I do.....???

Thanx

Last edited by sandokan on Sun May 22, 2005 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really should take a look at the gentoo handbook.especially at this part.

this howto also seems to explain the use of portage quite well. Link!

"man emerge" also can be helpful.

concerning howto install a desktop take a look at this

-----------------------------------------

but here are some short tips for you:

*) you should use "emerge sync" before installing any package. what it does, is to sync your local portage tree with the up-to-date tree of your prefered mirror. this way you will allways emerge the newest version of an app.

*) allways use "emerge -av <package_name> (-av = --ask --verbose). that way you can look at all the different packages your system wants to emerge, dependencies and what kind of -use flags affect this package. so you can decide whether it is a good idea to do the emerge.

*) to install a package you just have to type: ie.: "emerge -av kde" thats it! if everything works, the app is ready to use!
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm pretty sure that emerge --usekpg doesn't do anything. You would need to do emerge --usepkg "some package" for it to work.
When you do an emerge, you're installing or upgrading some packages. You then have to configure them. If I understood your question correctly, kde doesn't start working just because you emerged it. You need to configure it.
Look at /etc/rc.conf and put DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" and XSESSION="kde-3.4" - assuming you're using kde-3.4. Then execute /etc/init.d/xdm start. If all is well, don't forget to add xdm to the default level rc-update add xdm default if you want to boot to a GUI session.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

I'm pretty sure that emerge --usekpg doesn't do anything. You would need to do emerge --usepkg "some package" for it to work.
When you do an emerge, you're installing or upgrading some packages. You then have to configure them. If I understood your question correctly, kde doesn't start working just because you emerged it. You need to configure it.
Look at /etc/rc.conf and put DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" and XSESSION="kde-3.4" - assuming you're using kde-3.4. Then execute /etc/init.d/xdm start. If all is well, don't forget to add xdm to the default level rc-update add xdm default if you want to boot to a GUI session.

you are right! any package that needs to be configured, can't be used instantly. you need to edit the config-files first! :lol:
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some useful documents: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=desktop
Start with these two:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml

About emerge --usepkg kde: That will try to use binary packages if available. They are available on the packages cd. You need to put the files on the cd on your harddisk in /usr/portage/packages/All or edit your make.conf and change PKGDIR to /mnt/cdrom and then mount the packages cd on /mnt/cdrom. If you don't have the binary packages, emerge will download the source files and compile from them.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: