[solved] Radeon 9200 SE: fglrx fails to build and load
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanBowen1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: [solved] Radeon 9200 SE: fglrx fails to build and load Reply with quote

All,

My 2.6.9 build does not seem to be able to build the 'flgrx' module for my radeon card anymore.

I get undefined symbol errors on build and when I do a modprobe on the new flgrxdriver(.ko) I get this is dmesg:

fglrx: Unknown symbol remap_pfn_range

and hence no X (or any graphic) display.

My lspci shows:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE] (rev 01)
0000:01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE] (Secondary) (rev 01)

and I'm running 2.6.9-gentoo-r9 with .9-rc4 patches from bytesex.org to support my Conexant Haupauge DVB card.

This compiled in the past but now it has broken. I have deleted and re-emerge the kernel source tree and this driver version (emerge ati-drivers gives 2.12.10 as latest) and the previous two verions but get the same error with all.

I can post the full build errors if it would help anyone but it is rather lengthy...

Help!

Dan
2.6.9-gentoo-r9 on i686 AMD Sempron(tm)

Last edited by DanBowen1 on Sun May 22, 2005 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the regular DRI drivers for Radeons 9200/9250 and under, they're generally much less fickle than the flgrx drivers, I'm not sure how they compare speed-wise, however they do provide 3D acceleration. No idea on the flgrx drivers themselves though, I'm using a Radeon Mobility 7500 which isn't supported by them on two counts...
DanBowen1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: fglrx build Reply with quote

DRI drivers?

I don't suppose you can tell a noob like me how to find/install those?
I can't tell the difference from what I tried - this is not from emerge ati-drivers then?

Thanks

Dan
2.6.9-gentoo-r1 on i686 AMD Sempron(tm)
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanBowen1 wrote:
DRI drivers?

I don't suppose you can tell a noob like me how to find/install those?
I can't tell the difference from what I tried - this is not from emerge ati-drivers then?

Totally different driver - you need to enable the "Device drivers -> Character Devices -> Direct Rendering Manager" option in your kernel, and the "ATI Radeon" option that will appear below it. After you recompile and reboot, load the "radeon" module instead of the "fglrx" module, and change the driver name in your xorg.conf from "fglrx" to "radeon". If you run "man radeon" you should see a list of the options for the driver that you can set in the Device section of your xorg.conf.

If you don't want to stop using the ATI driver, your problem might be that the ebuild applies a patch called "fglrx-2.6-pagetable.patch" before compilation. What it does is remove references to the remap_page_range function and replace them with references to remap_pfn_range. I think that this is only required on kernel version >= 2.6.10, but the ebuild will apply it to any 2.6 kernel. Try commenting out that section of the ebuild and emerging the drivers again, so that the patch isn't applied.
DanBowen1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Thanks very much for your help.

I modified the ebuild (and remade the two md5's in the Manifest file) and if works a treat!

You have saved me a lot of hassle - thanks again.

Dan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: