Rebuilding the System Toolkit
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding the System Toolkit Reply with quote

Hi,

when re-building the System Toolkit (stage 1 after bootstrap finishes), I run # emerge glibc binutils gcc portage. Among this list, do I have to compile gcc-config too or not?

Is there anything else missing or is it fine?

Thank you,
Spiro
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't emerge those packages by themselves. First run gcc-config to select the compiler specs you want, source /etc/profile., then run
Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system
Yes, twice in a row, no error there.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what I have been doing so far:

1) Bootstrap the system for the first time
# cd /usr/portage
# scripts/bootstrap.sh

2) Verify my Default C Compiler
# gcc-config -l
If gcc is set to an older version change the default gcc compiler to the latest version number.
3) Apply final settings to /etc/make.conf
4) Rebuilding the System Toolkit
# emerge glibc
# emerge binutils
# emerge gcc
# emerge portage

5) Building the System
# emerge --emptytree system

Now, as you can see re-compiling the toolkit comes before building the system.

What is wrong in this sequence?
If the sequence is correct, in which precise step I would emerge if needed gcc-config?

Quote:
Don't emerge those packages by themselves. First run gcc-config to select the compiler specs you want, source /etc/profile., then run
Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system

Why should I emerge -e system twice (never seen and heard it)?
Why shoould I not emerge those packages by themselves as they are needed for re-building the toolkit?

thank you,
Spiro
bosyotech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAngeli wrote:
this is what I have been doing so far:

1) Bootstrap the system for the first time
# cd /usr/portage
# scripts/bootstrap.sh

2) Verify my Default C Compiler
# gcc-config -l
If gcc is set to an older version change the default gcc compiler to the latest version number.
3) Apply final settings to /etc/make.conf
4) Rebuilding the System Toolkit
# emerge glibc
# emerge binutils
# emerge gcc
# emerge portage

5) Building the System
# emerge --emptytree system

Now, as you can see re-compiling the toolkit comes before building the system.

What is wrong in this sequence?
If the sequence is correct, in which precise step I would emerge if needed gcc-config?

gcc-config could be already installed since it is a dependency of gcc package so no need to emerge it.

SAngeli wrote:
Quote:
Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system

Why should I emerge -e system twice (never seen and heard it)?
Why shoould I not emerge those packages by themselves as they are needed for re-building the toolkit?

thank you,
Spiro

IMHO, you emerge -e system twice, coz after bootstrapping some of the system packages may be built with your old system toolkit so the first emerge -e would update these packages, then the second one ensures that the previously built system packages are built with the new toolkit. :) but i choese to do this after updating my toolkit
Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e world
so all other packages are recompiled with the new toolkit. you may want to take a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=248245&start=50&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= for more info coz my english is horrible, please forgive me. ;)
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bosyotech,

I like your location description :D I live there too! :wink:

As for your advices, I agree for all of them.
I just wish to make a clarification:

If I rebuild my toolkit just after bootstrapping, then whatever comes after the re-compilation is with the new system toolkit. If this is so far correct, then you would emerge e- system only once. Try to see it from this sequence:
1) bootstrap
2) final make.conf changes
3) re-build toolkit
(notice, so far I never did emerge -s system)
4) I now have a new complete system toolkit
5) emerge e- system
6) later or emerge -uD world (or something like this)

Would you agree that following the above sequence there is no space for a second emerge -e system? Perhaps, there must be something missing in my thinking if I am wrong. If so, please let me know using a sequence like mine to illustrate your point. This will help me understand.

Thank you,
Spiro
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made very clear over the last one and a half years the reasons for which I consider the two emerge -e system procedure necessary: leftover header files coupled with wrongful inclusion via #include <> instead of include "", leftover static libraries, buggy toolkit ebuilds that miss dependencies that are internally picked up by the configure scripts.
Do whatever you want. I warned you. But don't come crying back to me.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I believe you missunderstood my questions.

As am learning this important portion of toolkit, I have to ask questions perhaps even silly as long as I get it.

So, now that you have explained to me the reason for performing emerge -e system twince, could you please do me a favor so that I will not ask any further:

Could you put in SEQUENCE the steps to undertake? Please start from before bootstrap and end before emerge gentoo-sources. Make sure to state all package names you emerge throughout the sequence.

This will solve all questions and will make me understand.

I thank you for your patience,
Spiro
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Untar stage 1.
  2. emerge --sync
  3. Bootstrap.
  4. Doublecheck the compiler via gcc-config -l, set it to one of the options, and source /etc/profile.
  5. Then
    Code:
    emerge -e system
    emerge -e system
But I highly recommend you don't use stage 1. Use stage 1 only if you really, really need to change the CHOST. If you don't need to change the CHOST, install from stage 3 like this:
  1. Untar stage 3.
  2. emerge --sync
  3. Doublecheck the compiler via gcc-config -l, set it to one of the options, and source /etc/profile.
  4. Then
    Code:
    emerge -e system
    emerge -e system
It's faster, more reliable, and just as "optimized".

SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi moocha,

thank you. Much better for me to see it in this way.
Step 1 - 4 (through Stage 1) is OK.
In between step 4 and 5 I was always doing this:

- Apply final settings to /etc/make.conf
- Rebuilding the System Toolkit
# emerge glibc
# emerge binutils
# emerge gcc
# emerge portage

Then continue with as you say:
emerge -e system
emerge -e system

Could you tell me if the above steps for rebuilding the toolkit are wrong, right, unnecessary?
Thank you,
Spiro
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can copypaste my above post again if you want... It's obviously unnecessary since you would be compiling those packages FOUR TIMES if you emerged them separately too.
If you choose stage 1 you will need to have them compiled three times (the first time in the bootstrap).
Stage 3 will only require you to compile them two times. That's one of the reasons I recommend it.
Changing the USE flags should be done before the two emerge -e system. Changing the USE flags is tricky on stage 1 since you can easily end up with a weird setup.
Do what you want, since you're obviously either not reading what I'm writing, or are just trolling.

Edit: *sigh* I could've been less harsh, but still... There is more than one way to ask for advice :).

SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Please don't say Do what you want, since you're obviously either not reading what I'm writing, or are just trolling.

I am not playing here nor wasting your time. I am trying to understand and if i make mistakes or what is obvious might not be to me its part of my asking.

I only now realize that when you perform emerge -e system, glibc, binutils, gcc, portage are compiled too.
And therefore, it is wrong to emerge them separately and before emerge -e system and then again through -e system.
Correct?

I believe I understand now clearly your explanations and believe do not have furhter questions. I apologize it took me few extra lines to understand and thank you for your time and patience.

If I might have something else it is not clear to me I will post back.

For now, thank you and have a great day,
Spiro
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAngeli wrote:
Please don't say Do what you want, since you're obviously either not reading what I'm writing, or are just trolling.
Yup, I shouldn't have been that harsh. Sorry.
SAngeli wrote:
I only now realize that when you perform emerge -e system, glibc, binutils, gcc, portage are compiled too.
And therefore, it is wrong to emerge them separately and before emerge -e system and then again through -e system.
Correct?
Correct.
SAngeli wrote:
If I might have something else it is not clear to me I will post back.
Check, I'll be around.
Since you didn't touch upon that, I again emphatically recommend using stage 3 with a stage 3 tarball for your CPU if you do not need to change the CHOST. Stage 1 will not result in a faster system, will take more time, and is more prone to errors. At the end of the two emerge -e system your installation will be the same as if you had used stage 3 in the first place, only that you will have wasted time with bootstrapping. Only use stage 1 when you need to change the CHOST.
SAngeli wrote:
For now, thank you and have a great day,
You're welcome. Happy emerging.

SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thank you for your reply.

thank you more because you took the initiative of explaining again the Stage choice principle.
It is something I believed I understood but am glad you went over.

Now, you say: Only use stage 1 when you need to change the CHOST.

Could you please give me an example of when a user would change CHOST from Stage 1 to Stage 3? I never had any opportunity nor any example for this case. This will make me understand, through an example, its use.

My other question after I read your answer. I first wish to focus on Stage 1 validity.

Thank you,
Spiro
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAngeli wrote:
Now, you say: Only use stage 1 when you need to change the CHOST.

Could you please give me an example of when a user would change CHOST from Stage 1 to Stage 3?
You don't "change the CHOST from stage 1 to stage 3". Changing the CHOST involves editing make.conf and changing the value of the CHOST variable, then bootstrapping. You will notice that each Gentoo stage tarball comes with a CHOST value already provided. Depending on which tarball that is, the value will be different. For example, the Pentium 3 tarballs will have i686-pc-linuc-gnu there (and the same value will be used for Pentium 4, AMD Athlon, AMD Duron, AMD Athlon XP), the x86 stage tarballs will have i386-pc-linux-gnu there, AMD64 systems will use x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, and so on.
Now, you will definitely want to have a CHOST value that is appropiate for your CPU architecture. For any modern 32-bit Intel compatible CPUs this value will be i686-pc-linux-gnu, beginning with Pentium Pro. For the original Pentium and for AMD K6, K6-2 and K6-3 the CHOST must be i586-pc-linux-gnu.
If the CHOST value does not match your CPU architecture, your system will sooner or later get a lot of mysterious and hard to solve bugs, so changing the CHOST pretty important for anyone who wants to have a Gentoo system for a CHOST that isn't provided via a stage tarball by the distribution.
The "bootstrap" we are talking about means using some intricate methods in order to create a toolchain that is targeted at the new CHOST variable. Obviously, bootstrapping makes no sense if you already have a toolchain for your CHOST. The Gentoo mirrors contain stage tarballs for most modern architectures, so if you've found a stage tarball compiled for your correct CPU you will NOT need to change the CHOST because your toolchain matches the correct CHOST, hence you will NOT need to use stage 1 to bootstrap, hence you should use stage 3.
Obviously, using stage 1 and bootstrapping is completely redundant if your toolchain already is targetted at your current CHOST. And because of the specific mechanisms used in bootstrapping, stage 1 tarballs leave more junk on the system because they have incomplete /var/db/pkg entries. Additionally, if you don't follow the manual on stage 1 to the letter you wiull get bitten by the circular dependencies that exist in stage 1 tarballs. Stage 3 doesn't have any of these problems and the resulting toolchain and base system will be exactly as fast as those obtained by going the stage 1 route.
The two consecutive
Code:
emerge -e system
are required to sort out bugs (some of which are unavoidable, sadly) that still to this day exist in the toolchain build order. Do NOT run etc-update or dispatch-conf between the two emerge -e system. Run them after the second emerge -e system completes.
This whole reasoning is why I was preaching to you earlier. And since I've repeated these arguments a lot over the last years yet people always claim to "know what they're doing and what they're talking about" when in fact they don't, I think you can understand my earlier frustration.

SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi moocha,

for sure I am gratefull to your time and commitment in letting me learn, the proper way.
Yes, I now understand your earlier frustration.

Now, hands on your explanations. I will ask questions based on it. Anytime I make mistakes please point it out and correct it for me.

Bob P. says: Anything other than a Stage 3 tarball suffer from circular dependencies within the base system, and they have the potential to leave behind unwanted files from the stage tarball because /var/db/pkg is incomplete.
By just being aware of this makes me prefer Stage 3 as my first choice. But, let's continue.

When I need to burn my LiveCD, based on my CPU I select either (for this example) x86 family or AMD64.
Under x86 I then have several other CPUs. Under AMD64 instead no.
Immediately, I could say that for AMD64 it makes no sense to use stage 1 because CHOST will never change. Correct?
But, for x86 I could say the same. Even if x86 has x86, pentium4, pentium3, i686, athlon-xp if I do my homework properly I should choose immediately the correct tarball that matches my CPU. If this is also correct, I should not use Stage 1 but instead I should use Stage 3. Correct?

So, in both cases, if I pick right the first time I do not find any place for Stage 1. Correct?
So, this should solve my issue.

For curiosity and further understanding: If I always choose the right tarball for the proper CPU, when is that I will use Stage 1 changing CHOST settings? Could you please give me an example of a PC that would need Stage 1?

Now, Second Part: (I hope to pass the test) :)

I try to summarize the important steps. (I cross my fingers)
1. I download and untar stage3-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2
2. .........
3. Chroot into the New Environment
4. I configure /etc/make.conf putting all the settings and for USE flags putting only "nptl"
5. Here I do two things at once Install/Update the Portage Tree
( instead of installing Portage before chrooting and then update it, could I skipp installing it before chrooting and just with emerge --sync install it now at this stage? I do not see why doing it twice, unless I miss some important concepts)
How am I doing so far untill here? Any correction?

Now the difficult part.
You adivced me, above in one of your replies, to do:
6. # Doublecheck the compiler via gcc-config -l, set it to one of the options, and source /etc/profile.
# Then
Code:
7. emerge -e system
8. emerge -e system
9. etc-update

When will I be able to customize all my USE flags, and then adapt my System to them? Is it before my two emerge -e system?

Then, I should be done and ready to proceed with Gentoo install.

Now, could you please tell me if/how section 7.x of Bob P. fits in the above sequence somewhere and where exactely? Sorry for asking you this question but I wish to understand if/how this section is done?

I thank you so much for your time. I am learning a lot and feel I am almost done with this crucial installation portion, which determines the rest. I feel like at the end of our conversation I will live this thread with clear mind.

Thanks,
Spiro
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAngeli wrote:
When I need to burn my LiveCD, based on my CPU I select either (for this example) x86 family or AMD64.
Under x86 I then have several other CPUs. Under AMD64 instead no.
Immediately, I could say that for AMD64 it makes no sense to use stage 1 because CHOST will never change. Correct?
Correct.
SAngeli wrote:
But, for x86 I could say the same. Even if x86 has x86, pentium4, pentium3, i686, athlon-xp if I do my homework properly I should choose immediately the correct tarball that matches my CPU. If this is also correct, I should not use Stage 1 but instead I should use Stage 3. Correct?
Correct.
SAngeli wrote:
So, in both cases, if I pick right the first time I do not find any place for Stage 1. Correct?
Correct.
SAngeli wrote:
For curiosity and further understanding: If I always choose the right tarball for the proper CPU, when is that I will use Stage 1 changing CHOST settings? Could you please give me an example of a PC that would need Stage 1?
For example, an old AMD K6-2. The K6-2 is not an i686 architecture, it's an i586 architecture. The CHOST needs to be set to i586-pc-linux-gnu. So in order to run an optimized K6-2 system optimized you need to start from the x86 LiveCD (NOT the Pentium 2, NOT the Athlon, etc etc). The x86 LiveCD has i386-pc-linux-gnu as default CHOST on its stage tarballs, so you would need to change that to i586-pc-linux-gnu and bootstrap.
SAngeli wrote:
Now, Second Part: (I hope to pass the test) :)

I try to summarize the important steps. (I cross my fingers)
1. I download and untar stage3-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2
2. .........
3. Chroot into the New Environment
4. I configure /etc/make.conf putting all the settings and for USE flags putting only "nptl"
5. Here I do two things at once Install/Update the Portage Tree
( instead of installing Portage before chrooting and then update it, could I skipp installing it before chrooting and just with emerge --sync install it now at this stage? I do not see why doing it twice, unless I miss some important concepts)
How am I doing so far untill here? Any correction?
At step 4, you aren't forced to put just nptl into the USE flags. You can put in anything you like. That "only put nptl in" was for stage 1 installs, and the reason was that stage 1 would break if you put much else in there (see, another reason to use stage 3). When installing with stage 3 you can customize the USE flags right away.
In step 5, all you need to do is
Code:
emerge --sync
actually :).
SAngeli wrote:
Now the difficult part.
You adivced me, above in one of your replies, to do:
6. # Doublecheck the compiler via gcc-config -l, set it to one of the options, and source /etc/profile.
No need to do this for stage 3, it's already been taken care of in the official Gentoo stage tarballs. Skip this step if you want - but it never hurts to do it anyway :).
SAngeli wrote:
# Then
Code:
7. emerge -e system
8. emerge -e system
9. etc-update
Correct.
SAngeli wrote:
When will I be able to customize all my USE flags, and then adapt my System to them? Is it before my two emerge -e system?
Yes, it's right after untarring the stage 3 tarball, at step 4 :).
SAngeli wrote:
Then, I should be done and ready to proceed with Gentoo install.
Correct.
SAngeli wrote:
Now, could you please tell me if/how section 7.x of Bob P. fits in the above sequence somewhere and where exactely? Sorry for asking you this question but I wish to understand if/how this section is done?
Bob's install method is based on the collective experience gathered by Gentoo developers and forum regulars. It's basically what I advised you to do, but it introduces GCC 3.4.x into the equation, which complicates matters somewhat. If this is your first Gentoo install I advise you do NOT perform Bob's install - that is an advanced install method and may backfire badly. Stick with the default compiler and the sequence I outlined above for now :). Later on, when you're more confident with how Gentoo works, you can always emerge GCC 3.4 and recompile the entire system with it (which would make your system equivalent to one installed via Bob's method, more or less). It won't be necessary to reinstall if you followed my advice - all you will need to do is emerge the new compiler and recompile -e system twice and then -e world twice.
SAngeli wrote:
I thank you so much for your time.
Don't mention it.
SAngeli wrote:
I am learning a lot and feel I am almost done with this crucial installation portion, which determines the rest.
You're absolutely right on that - mistakes at install time are hard to correct later (for example, using stage 1 with weird USE flags can break the system days later out of nowhere; or forgetting to set the date properly like the manual tells you - that can be deadly, and it's almost impossible to fix).
SAngeli wrote:
I feel like at the end of our conversation I will live this thread with clear mind.
Hope this helped. Please make sure to also read the Gentoo Handbook. It's really useful. What I told you is basically what the handbook says - except for the two emerge -e system thing, which I'm insisting on :). Have fun installing!

SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[EDITED]: After reflecting on what I have learned, I removed questions I found my answers.

Cool! :D

I believe I passed the exam, right? :wink:

Now, to make sure:
1) Please repeet your answer for this:
( instead of installing Portage (tar -xvjf /mnt/gentoo/portage-<date>.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr) before chrooting and then update it (with emerge --sync), could I skipp installing it before chrooting but just performing emerge --sync at the step where instead I shoud just update it (because it is implied that it was already installed it)? I have done it several times and did not have any problem. I ask this because I see here doing two things at once: install and update. Rather, I can just install the updated version. Could it be that I might be wrong and that this could not be proper way?

Could you please confirm me these steps:

a. PC with Gentoo installed, kde installed and all application installed. When I make some important changes to my make.conf use flags, I must adapt my Entire System to New USE Flags. Correct?
This is how I do it:
1. emerge --depclean
2. revdep-rebuild
Is this complete or is there something missing (maybe like emerge -e system world)?

b. I also know that still, when my entire Gentoo system is completed, with KDE installed as well as all applications, when I upgrade C compiler, I must do this:
1. download/install my new compiler
(is it emerge gcc or which applcation that would trigger them all by the dependency?)
2. set the new version gcc-config <number which refers to the latest version>
2. env-update
3. source /etc/profile
4 emerge gcc-conifg glibc binutils gcc portage
Again, is this complete or is there something missing (maybe like emerge -e system world must be done after)?

c. Bob P. does emerge glibg binutils gcc portage by itself prior to emerge -e system (twice)? As I understand Bob P. states that by doing so he will rebuild only the new compiling toolkit so that the compiling toolkit, compiled with the proper order (agains what portage might be ordering it with, can then compile the system. So, the strenghts here is the order of compilation for re-building the compiling toolkit. I like this and wish to implement it just before emerge -e system twice. Could I do so, in your openion or is it a waste of time? Please let me know.

Lastly, I have one PC (Pentium Celeron) that untill two days ago I completed succesfully instllation of Gentoo through Stage 1. I paused at after emerge -e system. Would it be wise to install gentoo again from stage 3 or for this case I could continue, knowing about what stage 1 creates? Obviously I need to perform emerge -e system twice, if so. Note, that I do not mind wiping out gentoo and start again with stage 3, but wish an experienced openion.

Thank you for the help.

Spiro
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: