View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurppa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Mozilla - any good? Reply with quote

Mozilla 1.7.7

- Random crashes on randon websites.
- Crashes after composing mail, exiting and selecting "Don't save" when asked about saving to Drafts.
- Crashes often on Java-applets, both with blackdown and Sun plugins.
- Mplayerplugin stalles after buffering. No way to view embed videos in Mozilla. If i extract the url of the video and feed it to mplayer, works fine.
- Slow as hell.

Edit:
Anyone have Mozilla setup without random crashing and everything working? How? Once you get most of the components working and update Mozilla, suddenly half of them don't work anymore, even after recompiling the plugins. This happened with Java, mplayerplugin.

Utterly useless. Even IE/WINE is more stable.

Last edited by kurppa on Sat May 07, 2005 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a point to your post? The only question therein is rhetorical.
kurppa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vann wrote:
The only question therein is rhetorical.

Now there is a real question included.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post your
Code:
emerge info
justabssplyr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5:1 odds the cflags entry takes up 3-4 lines :?
kurppa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Please post your
Code:
emerge info

Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.10p1
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.2, glibc-2.3.2-r9, 2.4.20-gaming-r7 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.4.20-gaming-r7 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
Python: dev-lang/python-2.2.3-r1,dev-lang/python-2.3.4-r1 [2.3.4 (#1, Apr 6 2005, 20:27:44)]
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python: 2.2.3-r1, 2.3.4-r1
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake: 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.4
sys-devel/binutils: 2.14.90.0.6-r2
sys-devel/libtool: 1.4.3-r1
virtual/os-headers: 2.4.19, 2.4.19-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /opt/tomcat/conf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage-oma"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3ds X aalib acl alsa apm atlas avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bluetooth bonobo canna cdr crypt cups curl dga directfb dv dvd emboss encode esd fam fbcon flac flash foomaticdb fortran freewnn gb gd gdbm ggi ggz gif gimpprint gphoto2 gpm gtk2 gtkhtml guile imagemagick imap imlib innodb java jpeg junit kde lcms leim libg++ libgda libwww live mad maildir matroska mikmod mmx mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg nas ncurses network nls oav odbc ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl plotutils png ppds python qt qtmt quicktime radeon readline real rtc ruby samba scanner sdl slang slp snmp spell sse ssl svg svga tcltk tcpd tetex tga tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts usb vorbis wmf x86 xanim xinerama xml xml2 xmms xprint xv xvid zeo zlib"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps your mozilla could profit from a rebuild with
Code:
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -02 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fvisibility-inlines-hidden" emerge mozilla

since -Os produces sometimes significantly slower code than -O2.
-fvisibility-inlines-hidden can speed up start time since it reduces the number of exported symbols of the shared libraries built.
kurppa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla gives this error, I don't think it has any affect on the problems described before, but I'll try recompiling GTK+ and Mozilla with different C-flags.
Code:

(Gecko:4428): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkprogress.c: line 584 (gtk_progress_set_percentage): assertion `percentage >= 0 && percentage <= 1.0' failed

Edit: Actually this error comes from mplayerplug-in, not Mozilla.
kurppa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recompiling gtk+ mozilla and j2sdk seem to have helped a little with the stability. Also at least some Java-applets seem to work, allthough crashing still occures.

I haven't found any solution to playing embed videos. As described earlier, mplayerplug-in just doesn't work. The buffering first goes up to 150% and then it starts to buffer again from 0% and stalls.

Without the video playing ability, this browser is pretty much useless.

Konqueor handles embed videos fine and crashes splendidly with every Java-applet.

It's great to have both embed videos and Java-appletts working. Allthough I allways need to know beforehand if a site has either. If it has video, I use konqueror and if it has Java, I use Mozilla. GREAT!

One usable browser is too much to ask?
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurppa wrote:
Recompiling gtk+ mozilla and j2sdk seem to have helped a little with the stability. Also at least some Java-applets seem to work, allthough crashing still occures.

I haven't found any solution to playing embed videos. As described earlier, mplayerplug-in just doesn't work. The buffering first goes up to 150% and then it starts to buffer again from 0% and stalls.

Without the video playing ability, this browser is pretty much useless.

Konqueor handles embed videos fine and crashes splendidly with every Java-applet.

It's great to have both embed videos and Java-appletts working. Allthough I allways need to know beforehand if a site has either. If it has video, I use konqueror and if it has Java, I use Mozilla. GREAT!

One usable browser is too much to ask?

Konqueror works perfectly fine for me for both Java and embedded videos. Try installing a much more recent kernel and seeing if you have the same stability problems. Also keep in mind that your kernel is old enough that it's probably a security risk.
kurppa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkStalker wrote:

Konqueror works perfectly fine for me for both Java and embedded videos. Try installing a much more recent kernel and seeing if you have the same stability problems. Also keep in mind that your kernel is old enough that it's probably a security risk.

I have tired to maintain a "status quo" with this machine, that's why I haven't updated X or the kernel in a while. Updates mean trouble, especially if you have a Radeon. I should install from scratch once I have the time.

The Java-thing has been dragging along as long as I can remember. It could be a wm-issue. The applets in both Opera and Konqueror don't open in the browser windows, but in the top left corner of the screen without any wm-widgets. Once the applet starts, all the inputs are gone. Mouse still moves, but there is no response from the buttons or the keyboard. I can't even ctrl+alt+f1/f2/etc. The only possibility is to reboot the machine.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with my Mozilla crashing when wanting to use java chat as well. It won't work in Konqueror either.

Is there a trick to this in Linux? I don't want to have to assemble a rig just to put windoze on to chat. That sucks cause I hate windoze.

Anybody have a clue here what it is or I have done wrong?

emerge info

Code:
root@smoker / # emerge info
Portage 2.0.51.19 (default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.3.5-20050130, glibc-2.3.4.20041102-r1, 2.6.8-gentoo-r10 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.8-gentoo-r10 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Python:              dev-lang/python-2.3.5 [2.3.5 (#1, Apr 30 2005, 22:01:26)]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5
sys-apps/sandbox:    [Not Present]
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.59-r6, 2.13
sys-devel/automake:  1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.5, 1.4_p6, 1.6.3, 1.9.5
sys-devel/binutils:  2.15.92.0.2-r7
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.16
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/fax /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control /var/spool/fax/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ "
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,now"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 3dnow X acl acpi alsa amd apm arts artsd artswrappersuid avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bonobo cdr chroot clanJavaScript crypt cups curl doc emboss encode esd ethereal f-prot fam fdftk flac foomaticdb fortran gaim gcj gdbm gif gimpprint gkrellm gnome gpm gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile hbci hpijs imagemagick imlib innodb ipv6 java javascript jbig jpeg junit justify kde libg++ libwww mad mikmod mmx motif mozdomi mozilla mp3 mpeg mysql ncurses nls offensive ofx ogg oggvorbis opengl openoffice pam parse-clocks pdflib perl png ppds pysol python qt quicktime readline scanner scribus sdl slang spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd tetex tiff tkinter truetype truetype-fonts tuxracer type1-fonts udev usb vorbis wolk-supermount xine xml xml2 xmms xprint xv yahoo zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CBUILD, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

root@smoker / #                       

Thanks

:D :D :D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Perhaps your mozilla could profit from a rebuild with
Code:
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -02 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fvisibility-inlines-hidden" emerge mozilla

since -Os produces sometimes significantly slower code than -O2.

Huh? Where did you get that idea from?
kurppa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurppa wrote:

I removed all symlinks to Java-plugins from the netscape and Mozilla plugin directories so that I didn't have Java-applet support in Mozilla at all.

I then emerged Sun JDK 1.4.2.08 and used java-config to set it the default Java-VM. Emerging Sun JDK also installed a new Java-plugin.

Now the applets seem to work very well. I guess the fault wasn't in Mozilla. I probably had many Java-plugins installed at the same time and they didn't correspond with the Java-VM's installed in the system.

Mplayerlpug-in also seems to work better after recompiling Mozilla and Mplayerlpug-in. On some sites it still hangs but mostly it works OK.
Spyretto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My firefox used to hang when I added these lines for transparency in xorg.conf
Quote:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
Option "RENDER" "true"
EndSection

I removed them and now it's ok. Besides, translucency is almost unusuable :cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: