View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MG-Cloud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: No longer have time for Gentoo :( Reply with quote

Gentoo was my very first (and thus far my only) Linux distribution, and I have loved using it. The community is awesome, the flexibility of the portage system is excellent, and the speed of release is very very fast. However, lately I've been finding that I'm not able to update things as frequently any more, and that I no longer have time to fix some bugs that have been popping up lately with my installs (this has accumulated in a lot of annoying persistent bugs that I'm sure could be fixed with some tinkering but which I no longer have time to fix :( ).

Therefore, I'm turning to you guys for help. Until circumstances change so that I have time to tinker around with my computer and update my OS as frequently as Gentoo requires, I need a binary-based Linux distro -

One that hopefully is as flexible as possible, with decent package management, and follows version releases quickly (eg. if gaim 1.4 comes out tomorrow, I'd like to be able to install an official version by 3 days from now or so :) ). Also, performance is a big issue.

I'm looking at Ubuntu and Arch so far. Are there any other recommendations you would make?

Thanks very much in advance =)
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried:

1) Using the stable branch (i.e. not setting ~x86 in make.conf)
2) Updating weekly using ONLY "emerge --sync && emerge -u world" ?
3) Running all emerges in the background with screen:
Code:
emerge screen
screen
emerge --sync && nice emerge -u world
CTRL+A, then D to detach

And whenever you want to check back on the progress of the emerge (from any terminal or console) do:
Code:
screen -r

4) setting PORT_LOGDIR in make.conf as outlined in make.conf.example

If you have -- and none of that disuades from the perception that gentoo requires a lot of time to maintain -- then Ubuntu should be fine.

Last edited by Gherald on Mon May 23, 2005 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
luisfelipe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I used Arch before coming to Gentoo, and I think it's a pretty nice distro. They had some problems before
with too many user repositories, but that should be fixed now that they launched AUR (Arch User Repository).
Dunno if it worked, but if it did, things should be going a lot better there now.

Also, if you miss source-based installation, just try out srcpac.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple solution... stop tinkering. Gentoo doesn't require that much attention.
zbindere
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try an upgrade
suse 8 -> suse 9
or
fc3 -< fc 4
it just does not work.

you want be on the edge with your packages, then gentoo is the (stable) only way.

try debian sarge (you are getting crazy after 3 month, package blocks and every day 1000 updates)
ubuntu only has 2 releases a year, so you wont have the newest packages.

I sure you will come back.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Development branch of Ubuntu.

In my experience very stable, quickly updated and binary.

Plus ubuntu's version of GNOME just rocks.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:

Breezy was in the last couple of weeks many things, but "stable" was not among them. Major breakage everywhere because of the C++ ABI change (they are switching from gcc 3.3 to gcc 4 , and many broken packages because of the change from monolithic xorg to a modularized one. "Very stable" is something completly different.
sebest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimon wrote:
Boris27 wrote:

Breezy was in the last couple of weeks many things, but "stable" was not among them. Major breakage everywhere because of the C++ ABI change (they are switching from gcc 3.3 to gcc 4 , and many broken packages because of the change from monolithic xorg to a modularized one. "Very stable" is something completly different.

+1
i totally agree

recommanding Ubuntu hoary + Ubuntubackports but no way ubuntu breezy, it's not bleeding edge, it's suicide (these days).
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: No longer have time for Gentoo :( Reply with quote

MG-Cloud wrote:
snip... and update my OS as frequently as Gentoo requires, I need a binary-based Linux distro

Why would Gentoo require more updates than any other distro? It totally depends on how often you sync. In the beginning, I used to sync efter few days, but now I only sync when there's security updates available that affects installed software on my system (which is very rarely).
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

This ^^^ I find to be the only and true solution. I mean I don't need more than a couple of minutes a week to administer gentoo. People that talk about the lot of time gentoo consumes make me wonder if they are really using gentoo.:wink:
oldan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
pjp wrote:

This ^^^ I find to be the only and true solution. I mean I don't need more than a couple of minutes a week to administer gentoo. People that talk about the lot of time gentoo consumes make me wonder if they are really using gentoo.:wink:

I quite agree. My father has a habit of taking a perfectly good working computer apart just to make sure the screws at the bottom of the case are in tight enought. Sure enough, when he puts it back together, something is bound to break. I can't count the number of times I've told him to just leave the thing alone and write e-mails with it! :)
--Oldan
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldan wrote:

I quite agree. My father has a habit of taking a perfectly good working computer apart just to make sure the screws at the bottom of the case are in tight enought. Sure enough, when he puts it back together, something is bound to break. I can't count the number of times I've told him to just leave the thing alone and write e-mails with it! :)
--Oldan

LOL, well that also is a serious problem we shall make another threrad to help your father in his issue.:wink:
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

Agreed. I once read somewhere that Gentoo is potential fritterware--what happens when the user doesn't manage his or her time and is sucked in by endless micromanaging, editing, ricing, etc. that are possible with Gentoo.

Really, that's more of a PEBKAC than any fault of Gentoo itself. The distro simply doesn't need frequent maintenance; at least, not for typical desktop usage.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
pjp wrote:

Agreed. I once read somewhere that Gentoo is potential fritterware--what happens when the user doesn't manage his or her time and is sucked in by endless micromanaging, editing, ricing, etc. that are possible with Gentoo.

Really, that's more of a PEBKAC than any fault of Gentoo itself. The distro simply doesn't need frequent maintenance; at least, not for typical desktop usage.

I run my home systems as fritterware. But Mom's system, 600+ miles away, is run completely differently. In cron.weekly I have it "emerge sync" and on cron.daily I have it "glsa-check -l", and email me with the results. (actually, I pipe glsa-check through 'grep -v -e "\[N\]"' to things down to something I can manage easily.) My systems are on the bleeding edge, her system is "secure". The difference in maintenance is startling. In the months I've had her set up this way, I've only had to update a few packages, nothing at all like keeping my home systems up to date on "x86".

Whenever I visit, I'll do an "emerge -uDp world" to get it as up to date as possible, but only when I'm physically present. I do have a little fear about when glsa requires a kernel change, but I'll cope with that when I get to it. When I'm back sometime I should reallly get a rescue partition onto her machine. Getting the machine into a non-ssh-able state is my big fear.
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

I guess that sums it up.
I do have a fileserver at my parent's home. So far I have enough time to spend almost week-end there, so I can update the server. The onlyh time I need is 1 minute to start 'emerge sync', - wait half an hour - another to start 'emerge -aDu world' - wait a couple of hours depending on the upgrades - and about 5 minutes to do 'etc-update' if nescessary. So form my point of view this is no time at all, BUT the computer needs to be running. And if that is a problem, I cannot help.

Just my 2 cents
V.
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the person who wrote this thread is either scared of replying or he doesn't visit Gentoo forums anymore. Maybe this was a thread made out of desperation.:roll:
sceptreofjudah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Linspire and Gentoo Reply with quote

I use Linspire as my main desktop now. It is rock-solid, nimble, and responsive (lightweight though).

I use a Gentoo box as a server on the LAN for apache, MySQL, LISA, and NFS. It is a powerhouse but akward, clumbsy, and slow at times (compiling and etc-update, etc.).

This is the best of both worlds, a rock solid desktop which runs remote X applications from a server and also runs local executables with access to the files on the server (which has cron backing up its files to the client). I'm NEVER down now! HA HA HA.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Linspire and Gentoo Reply with quote

sceptreofjudah wrote:
I use Linspire as my main desktop now. It is rock-solid, nimble, and responsive (lightweight though).

Does Linspire still run normally as root? At first it did, though I've heard since that they dropped that practice. Running as root by default scares the living daylights out of me. IMHO it makes Linux into an even worse virus/spyware trap than Windows.
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Linspire and Gentoo Reply with quote

depontius wrote:

Does Linspire still run normally as root? At first it did, though I've heard since that they dropped that practice. Running as root by default scares the living daylights out of me. IMHO it makes Linux into an even worse virus/spyware trap than Windows.

LOL. Not even running as root always makes a computer worse than windows, it makes it vulnerable but not worse.:wink:
sceptreofjudah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: linspire does not run as root Reply with quote

Linspire has user management and security features like any other Linux system.
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: linspire does not run as root Reply with quote

sceptreofjudah wrote:
Linspire has user management and security features like any other Linux system.

True Linspire is a linux like any other linux. In fact all Linux distros are the same, I can take a Ubuntu install and make it the same as a Linspire install and I can take a Linspire install and make it as unusable as Windows like any other Linux you can do the same. So telling my distro is the best is pointless since you can make all distros look similar. Only tha Linspire take the good things from the open (free) source world and charge you for something you can do with gentoo for free. And they don't give nothing back to the community.:wink:
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Linspire and Gentoo Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
depontius wrote:

LOL. Not even running as root always makes a computer worse than windows, it makes it vulnerable but not worse.:wink:

Let's phrase it this way... fun stuff like access to raw packets, servers, and such are much closer to the surface - much more kiddie-friendly in Linux than in Windows. I know that under Windows kiddies normally just use a kit of some sort to play mischief, but Linux pretty much comes with a kit, standard. (Kit for full network access, that is, not a root kit.)

But I still haven't heard, does Linspire still run the user as root, by default?
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Linspire and Gentoo Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
But I still haven't heard, does Linspire still run the user as root, by default?

No, only version 1 had that, they are at 5.0 these days.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Linspire and Gentoo Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
depontius wrote:

No, only version 1 had that, they are at 5.0 these days.

Whew! I'll cease my distaste for Linspire, though I'll keep using Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: