Severe Alsa Issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Severe Alsa Issue Reply with quote

Well here is the deal. I have spent alot of time testing this. Onboard sound on motherboard activated I have flawless sound usage but the sounds is terrible. I pop in my Audigy2 and all my sound goes crazy and half does not work. I have tried using 10 differnet ways of doing it not limited to putting alsa support in the kernel and via alsa-driver on several kernels. Using 1.0.5,1.0.6, 1.0.7, 1.0.8, 1.0.9 alsa versions...

Working Apps seem to be XMMS, Mplayerm, Cedega "p2p test of sound fails with alsa"

Non Working Apps seem to be native linux games, arts etc.

I have tested this to the point that I put fedora on a harddrive and it all worked fine. I matched my kernel/alsa versions to fedora and it still did not work I have compared my configs to several peoples and its identical. I checked them against the fedora ones and they are identical. Only one is differnet but that is due to the automatic generated gentoo file but that should not cause a problem that I can see. Its the udev-rules that is differnet. I have tried many differet USE="" and CFLAGS="" seeing if it was not liking it use include enabling 'alsa oss' and remerging all sound related apps. Also I have removed '-O2 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer' and changed -O2 to just -O. I have tried totally unmerging alsa and remerging it tried building alsa in 5 differnet kenrel versions and doing it with alsa-driver and tried several versions of alsa with each one.

I am at the end of my ropes on this one. I dont know what to do I have exhausted most peoples brain capacity in #gentoo-amd64 with the matter I seem to be SOL in the matter. And yes this is a AMD64 cpu but I dont quite know if people on x86 have this issue.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlicerDicer,

Lets take this in easy stages, build yourself a kernel with all the ALSA things you need for all your sound cards built as modules. Don't mess with /etc/modules.d/alsa, except to comment most of it out. Just leave the
Code:
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
active.

Now we can modprobe things to see what works and what doesn't. I can tell you that module loading order is very important, Having ALSA play sounds on your webcam, because usb-audio and snd-intel8x0 swapped took me ages to find.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
SlicerDicer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Swirling in the Dunny, and please remember close the seat.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
SlicerDicer,

Lets take this in easy stages, build yourself a kernel with all the ALSA things you need for all your sound cards built as modules. Don't mess with /etc/modules.d/alsa, except to comment most of it out. Just leave the
Code:
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
active.

Now we can modprobe things to see what works and what doesn't. I can tell you that module loading order is very important, Having ALSA play sounds on your webcam, because usb-audio and snd-intel8x0 swapped took me ages to find.

Alright I will do this and I assume that you want me to mod-probe each peice of alsa? I dont quite understand fully what you want me to do.

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow. I mean... just look at them! Walking meat-bags, I tell you!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlicerDicer,

Please post the ALSA section of your kernel .config file and do the usual check of
Code:
uname -a
to make sure you are running the kernel you think you are. The date/time shown is the compile date for your presently running kernel.

Now check /dev/snd (ALSA devices) and /dev/sound (OSS Emulated devices). They should both either be missing, or empty because there are no sound modules loaded.

Now we can try one sound card at a time.
Code:
modprobe snd-ca0106
which is your Audigy2. That should populate /dev/snd and ALSA sound apps should work via your Audigy2 card. please test.
Next
Code:
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
This should get you a working /dev/dsp and a few things in /dev/sound. OSS PCM playback via your Audigy2 should work now. Check with an OSS configured app.
Check that ASA native apps still work too.
Using
Code:
modprobe -r <module-name>
remove all the modules that have snd- in their names. You need to do it in the right order, since you may not remove a module that is in use, either by an application, or another module.

Repeat the above sequence for the onboard sound.
Do they both work properly independently ?
If not, stop here and fix it.

Now the tricky bit. Decide which sound card you want to be your primary (default) and load its hardware driver and supporting OSS emulation modules. Check the content of /dev/snd and /dev/sound. Make a note of whats there.

Now load the the hardware module for your secondary device. Have you got more entries in /dev/snd and /dev/souind ?
You may not get symbolic links for them, so you need to configure applications to use them by referencing /dev/sound/dsp2 etc.

The last bit is automating it all and tidying up.
Oh! I won't be online on Wednesday, normal service should resume on Thursday.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Scarlet Pimpernel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, shouldn't he have BIOS plugnplay shut off, for Linux?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: