In search of a media player frontend...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stdPikachu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: In search of a media player frontend... Reply with quote

I know this question has been asked before, but the answer always seems to be "learn to use and love mplayer/xine, you insenstive clod!"

I'm looking for a media player frontend a la Media Player Classic on windows, primarily for the following features:

Clean, simple UI
Fully operable by mouse and keyboard
Everything in one window
Drag 'n' drop playlist
Double-click to fullscreen and back again
Navbar that pops up from the top/bottom of screen when mouse is hovered over it
Right-click the video window for menu/navigation options
Support for SRT subs embedded in OGM/Matroska formats
Full DVD menu support
Support for switching between different audio streams whilst the movie (of any format) is playing
Support for browsing by chapter lists embedded in OGM/Matroska formats
(Configurable so that) scrollwheel alters volume
Preferably GTK2
Looking for a "standalone" app, rather than one that requires half of GNOME/KDE to work properly

And, as an aside, does anyone know if xine or mplayer support playback of ogg speex files embedded within movie streams?

So far, the only contender I've found in portage and elsewhere that comes remotely close is Totem, and I was a bit put off by the fact I have to install almost the entirity of GNOME in order to use it. It also has the rather annoying problem of the onscreen navbar not hiding itself after the mouse is moved away from it, meaning I have to exit fullscreen playback and re-enter it. VLC kinda works, but the wxGTK file selector doesn't seem to be able to use the scrollwheel, and there's still no SRT support (amongst other niggles).

Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill? FWIW I generally hover between XFCE and Enlightenment on my workstation and fluxbox on my other machines. While this is mainly in the interests of my gf (who uses MPC on her PC at home and wants an equivalent app when she's at my place), I've been pining after a UI as slick as MPC for a looooong time.

/me find it ironic that he is "locked in" to windows by open source applications
azlan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful. I can see you are a GTK fan. But Kaffeine does offer what you expect. You don't need all of KDE installed but you do need kde-libs and a few other things. It uses the xine-libs but drag and drop should work without problems from Gnome or XFCE4.

Ps. The best KDE app that I know of is K3b if you haven't used it it's worth having kde-libs installed for, trust me.
stdPikachu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I could have sworn I'd tried Kaffeine, but the screenshots on their website look entirely unfamiliar (perhaps it's cos I went with the rather old amd64 rather than ~amd64).

Xine libs is definitely a bonus since I can't for the life of me figure out how to enable SRT subs in mPlayer. I'll give it a whirl when I'm back home - thanks for joogling my memory! Just as long as it's not one of those apps that moans about DCOP all the time... ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: