[SOLVED] Gentoo Install misc question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Gentoo Install misc question Reply with quote

Hi,

I have few questions reguarding gentoo install I wish to clarify:

1. After customizing my kernel, I always issue this command: make && make modules_install
I have seen this command line: # make && make modules && make modules_install && make install and wish to comment on this.
Question: is it true that make modules applies to older kernels (< 2.6.9) and that for kernels > 2.6.10 you can just issue make && make modules_install?
Question: What is the purpose of make install in this kernel concept? Will it copy into /boot partition?

2. Mount the proc filesystem. Usually I do mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc. Additionally, I have also seen doing cp /proc/mounts /mnt/gentoo/etc/mtab
Question: What is the second command for and is it needed or not?

3. Hotplug and Coldplut. I usually set them as:
# rc-update add hotplug default
# rc-update add coldplug boot

Question: Is this correct? I have seen starting coldplug default. Should it be boot because it is the first thing needed at boot for detecting plug devices?

4. In /etc/conf.d/hdparm, when setting customized settings:
disc0_args="....."
cdrom0_args="....."

Instead I have hda_args="...." and hdc_args="...."
Question: Is it better / ok to replace disc0 with the exact device or not or does it not make a difference? If not, what is the sequence for CD-ROMs: cdrom0 cdrom1 cdrom2 ... ; same for disc0 disc1 disc2 .... Correct?

5. Grub.conf.
Is it possible to split instructions in lines (beause it does not fit all in one line and therefore "difficult" to read)?
Example:
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85 splash=verbose,theme:emergence
initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-emergence-1024x768

Question: Can I split it like this? Please advice on where exactely I can break the line or maybe it does not make any difference?
My Example:
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3
video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85
splash=verbose,theme:emergence

Can this be done?

6. Fstab
Can I have as CD-ROM line /dev/hdc1 or should I have /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
I learned somewhere that I can replace the /dev/cdroms/cdroms with whatever dmesg displays as the /dev device of the IDE item.

7. Make.conf
When i have to go to a new line to line up all settings, I do (for USE) as follows:
Code:

USE="3dfx 3dnow 3dnowex dvd dvdread \
     dvdreader esd icq ipv6 java kde mmx \
     mozilla mozsvg  opengl pda pdf pdflib"

Question: Is this " \ " needed at the end of each line or not?
Question: How to know which option goes in " " and which does not?
Sometimes, I see an option in both ways. Example:
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp and PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
Which one?
Same for grub.conf

I thank you for your clarifications. I need to clear up my mind for these questions,
Spiro

Last edited by SAngeli on Wed May 25, 2005 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Petyr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that a lotta questions. Let see.....
1a) Yes it only applies to older kernels, hence you answered your own question with that ^_~
1b) I believe it for people that use LILO instead of grub but I'm not entirely positive on that matter

3) Hasn't the hotplug script been removed? I coulda sworn that the hotplug init.d script was removed recently. Might want to check around on that. As for coldplug, you probably want it in boot for the reason you state. That's where I have it as well.

4) As far as I can determine it makes no difference. If you like the hda better than disc0 (which is more grub like I suppose), then just use it ^_~

6) You can do that, but you'll make your life a bit easier down the line by using the /dev/cdroms links instead. It just makes it a bit more clear as to what device you're talking about. The idea being that if you move the cdrom around on the ide chain because you bought a new HD, you wouldn't have to modify the fstab for the CDRom.

7a) Yes you must have the \ on each line (except for the very last line, i.e. the one with the closing ")
7b) For every option that is textual, you can wrap it in quotes safely. For options that are numerical, you shouldn't wrap those in quotes. As for grub, I don't think that applies. Been a while since I've had to mess with my grub config so my mind is a but fuzzy on that one.

hth,

Petyr Rahl
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Install misc question Reply with quote

SAngeli wrote:
Hi,

I have few questions reguarding gentoo install I wish to clarify:

See clarified, you mean?

SAngeli wrote:
1. After customizing my kernel, I always issue this command: make && make modules_install
I have seen this command line: # make && make modules && make modules_install && make install and wish to comment on this.
Question: is it true that make modules applies to older kernels (< 2.6.9) and that for kernels > 2.6.10 you can just issue make && make modules_install?

Yes and no.
Yes, the preferred way for 2.6 kernels is to use make && make modules_install.
No, the old commands still work, but the original three steps (make dep && make bzImage && make modules) have simply been combined to the default target ("make all", or simply make).

SAngeli wrote:
Question: What is the purpose of make install in this kernel concept? Will it copy into /boot partition?

Very well, a full list:
1. copy bzImage, .config and system.map to /boot/[linux|config|system.map]<kernel-name-and-version>, renaming the previous one (if any) to *.old
2. update /boot/vmlinuz symlink to point to the new kernel, /boot/config to point to the new config, and /boot/system.map to.. you get the idea.
3. point the old symlinks to the previous files.
4. check and update lilo.conf or grub.conf; run lilo if lilo.conf has changed.

I use it, yes ;-)

SAngeli wrote:
2. Mount the proc filesystem. Usually I do mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc. Additionally, I have also seen doing cp /proc/mounts /mnt/gentoo/etc/mtab
Question: What is the second command for and is it needed or not?

It copies the system-provided mounts to the mtab file - which lists the system-provided mounts.
Only useful if some program you need during the install wants mtab and doesn't understand /proc/mounts.
Pretty rare these days.

SAngeli wrote:
3. Hotplug and Coldplut. I usually set them as:
# rc-update add hotplug default
# rc-update add coldplug boot

Question: Is this correct? I have seen starting coldplug default. Should it be boot because it is the first thing needed at boot for detecting plug devices?

It depends on what devices you have, obviously.
If you need USB to get your network going then you'll have to load it at boot, or netmount will fail.
Generally, it's best to start it at boot.

SAngeli wrote:
4. In /etc/conf.d/hdparm, when setting customized settings:
disc0_args="....."
cdrom0_args="....."

Instead I have hda_args="...." and hdc_args="...."
Question: Is it better / ok to replace disc0 with the exact device or not or does it not make a difference?

Quoting /etc/conf.d/hdparm:
Code:
# You can either set hdparm arguments for each drive using hdX_args, discX_args, cdromX_args and genericX_args, e.g.
# hda_args="-d1 -X66"
# disc1_args="-d1"
# cdrom0_args="-d1"

No difference, then.

SAngeli wrote:
If not, what is the sequence for CD-ROMs: cdrom0 cdrom1 cdrom2 ... ; same for disc0 disc1 disc2 .... Correct?

See above.

SAngeli wrote:
5. Grub.conf.
Is it possible to split instructions in lines (beause it does not fit all in one line and therefore "difficult" to read)?
Example:
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85 splash=verbose,theme:emergence

Question: Can I split it like this?

No.
Use the standard Unix line continuation character \
to continue on the next line.

SAngeli wrote:
Please advice on where exactely I can break the line or maybe it does not make any difference?

Oh it makes a difference.

SAngeli wrote:
My Example:
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3
video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85

Can this be done?

Sort of, see above.

SAngeli wrote:
6. Fstab
Can I have as CD-ROM line /dev/hdc1 or should I have /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
I learned somewhere that I can replace the /dev/cdroms/cdroms with whatever dmesg displays as the /dev device of the IDE item.

Wonderful!
(You have no question here.)

SAngeli wrote:
7. Make.conf
When i have to go to a new line to line up all settings, I do (for USE) as follows:
Code:
USE="3dfx 3dnow 3dnowex dvd dvdread \
     dvdreader esd icq ipv6 java kde mmx \
     mozilla mozsvg  opengl pda pdf pdflib"

Question: Is this " \ " needed at the end of each line or not?

Yes, see above.

SAngeli wrote:
Question: How to know which option goes in " " and which does not?

Basically, any option that uses special characters needs to be quoted.
Anything with spaces in it, for example, or backslashes.

SAngeli wrote:
Sometimes, I see an option in both ways. Example:
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp and PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
Which one?
Same for grub.conf

Again, see above.

SAngeli wrote:
I thank you for your clarifications. I need to clear up my mind for these questions,
Spiro

Question: is there any particular reason why you haven't simply tried these things ?
This is not Windoze you know - you can't break it that easily.

And another Question: even though all those colours are quite wonderful, could you perhaps not use so MANY of them next time ?
It makes it very hard to both read and reply to your post...
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Install misc question Reply with quote

Hi adaptr,

adaptr wrote:
And another Question: even though all those colours are quite wonderful,...

you are too cool! :D

I assumed that colors would help enphasizing my key questions or commands.
Yes, obviously, I will change my way of posting. I never thought about the difficulty on replies.

Here is a promise: For as many questions I ask, down the road when I gained more knowledge with both Linux and Gentoo install, I will reverse them back on the forum answering other's questions. Thou, I sometimes help on the forum for what I already know.

For now, I ask for patience and understanding: I wish to learn properly and sometimes, even if I read there are few concepts that I feel uncertain and if I do not ask but instead try I still might not understand. Just because something might work, it does not tell me (at this stage of knowledge of Linux) if it is a proper way of setting something up. I am thankfull to all of you who post answers and share your knowhow. It's good and this is what makes Gentoo so special.

Followup:
So, this is the correct line:
Code:
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85 \ splash=verbose,theme:emergence

Correct?

Also, could you please confirm me the correctness of the three statements with reguards to the line? This will confirm me where I have to use \ and where instead it is a new line.
Code:
<line one> root (hd0,8)
<line two> kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85 \ 
<line three> initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-19.8.0custom.img.19mar03

Thank you all,
Spiro
UncleTom
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Install misc question Reply with quote

SAngeli wrote:

So, this is the correct line:
Code:
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85 \ splash=verbose,theme:emergence

Correct?

I've just discovered that it depends on the width of my browser window whether it is correct or not, so it might be correct or it might be wrong. :( There must be a line break after the \.

SAngeli wrote:

Also, could you please confirm me the correctness of the three statements with reguards to the line? This will confirm me where I have to use \ and where instead it is a new line.
Code:
<line one> root (hd0,8)
<line two> kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85 \ 
<line three> initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-19.8.0custom.img.19mar03

Basically, you pass three different commands to grub, each starting on a new line. The first one starts with "root..", the next one with "kernel..." and the last one with "initrd...". Whenever you want to split up one of these lines (the "kernel..." line in your case) you have to put a \ wherever you inserted a newline character. That is exactly the same thing as the "USE=..." statement you posted in question 7 which logically is a single line split in two places to give three physical lines.

So, just as an example, you could also do it like that:
Code:

<1> root (hd0,8)
<2> kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda3 \
<3>   video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-24@85 \ 
<4>   splash=verbose,theme:emergence
<5> initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-19.8.0custom.img.19mar03

You have three logical lines (line <1>, lines <2>, <3> and <4> are one logical line because of the \ at the end of lines <2> and <3>, and line <5>) , split into five physical lines.

As for your inital question about "make install": "make help" is your friend. From the output of "make help" in 2.6.11.7:
Quote:

install - Install kernel using
(your) ~/bin/installkernel or
(distribution) /sbin/installkernel or
install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo

So what happens when you type "make install" will depend on your environment.
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I now understand all you explained.

Thank you again for your time and explanations.

Have a good day,
Spiro
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: