bootup really slow on athlon64 x32 [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: bootup really slow on athlon64 x32 [solved] Reply with quote

I just got my new athlon 64 system (3500+, GIGABYTE GA-K8N Ultra-9, nvidia FX5300)
Its going to be file sever & and a new mythtv frontend/backend.

I use the 2004.3 live cd last night to do a stage 3 (athlon-xp) install, and proceeded with the install just like i've done on a number of other systems(p4&aXP). Compiled a genkernel, setup grub and restarted.

It takes forever to boot. Loading all of the usb & firewire modules took a while, but it wasn't as bad as it gets later. "Computing module dependencies" takes like 10 mins. If i let it go, it will get past it, but takes another very long time on hotpluging things. (each more then 5 mins). I think it eventually finishes booting, since i can ping the nic, tho i couldn't ssh in since i forgot to add the daemon. The monitor blanks after like 10 mins, and the keyboard doesn't seem to wake it up.

I tried another non-genkernel, kernel, same result.
i tried ahorn's x64 live cd. it was slower. you could watch each line refresh the video.

The 2003.4 live cd bootup happens very fast.
I jsut installed winxp-64 rc2, and it works very fast (all but the sil 3114, which works fine in gentoo).

What am I missing? Should I try a native 64 installation? My plan was to try out the system & get it working in 32 bit, and then play with the 64.

Last edited by dragonian on Thu May 26, 2005 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working finally.

Using acpi=ht as a kernel option it works. It boots at the speed that you'd figure this machine should.
So it looks like acpi=ht disables acpi execpt for turning on hypertransport. So i'm assuming that acpi is now off. I'd like to have it on, so i can use the cool & quiet, but I can live.

Is there a problem with acpi using the hypertransport? is there some kernel option that i missed? Or is it mistakenly slowing the processor down during bootup?

I'm using 2.6.10-gentoo-r6, is there a better kernel that would work for me?
eyekahn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: bootup really slow on athlon64 x32 Reply with quote

dragonian wrote:

I use the 2004.3 live cd last night to do a stage 3 (athlon-xp) install, and proceeded with the install just like i've done on a number of other systems(p4&aXP). Compiled a genkernel, setup grub and restarted.
What am I missing? Should I try a native 64 installation? My plan was to try out the system & get it working in 32 bit, and then play with the 64.

IIRC, I had a rough time with the athlon-xp install on my 64. At the time I didn't realize there was a livecd specifically for AMD64 :x
The system was horribly slow (I have a 3000/1G ram) for some reason, in almost everything it would do.
Once I used the 64 livecd things got a litle better. Couldn't pull off a stage 1 because every other emerge command would crash & burn. I wonder if they have all of that fixed yet..

Determined to do a Stage 1 for my shiny new 64, I ran across this and it worked beautifully:
Stage 1 NPTL on a Stage 3 Tarball

Anyway, I can't say for sure that it will fix it, but I have about 4 Firefox windows open, XMMS playing, a few torrents open, and an IRC client going and the system monitor says "Used CPU: 1.0%" :) I love it.

I'm using the masked gentoo-dev-sources kernel and it has been working without a hitch. Go straight to 64 bit and save yourself the grief I went through :)
Your monster should be able to eat a Stage 1 install for breakfast. I'm jealous, I want one :cry:
blue666man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: same issue of init taking forever... Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem on a new install on my new box: Athlon64 3000+, nVidia 6600GT, 1GB PC3200, 2x Raptors in RAID 0.

The kernel loads pretty quickly, but ANYTHING that init does takes FOREVER; i'm talking 2-3 mins per line for things like "loading key mappings" it just gets worse for hot/cold plug and calculating dependencies. Even simple tasks like "setting user font" take well over 2 mins. As I'm typing this, init on my box is taking 3 minutes to "enable numlock on ttys" 3 MINUTES TO ENABLE NUMLOCK!!! Although, i do have to admit that I'm proud that I was able to get Gentoo installed and bootable for my first time EVER :D !

I did an install with the Stage 1 on 3 from scratch; 64-bit multilib enviroment. And yes, I double checked that the toolchain was updated and re-emerged b4 emerging system. I'm about to try a few speedups I found here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231170 , but I don't think that's going to do much concerning coldplugging, etc. When the system finally does boot (~45 mins), everything is slow, even when sshelling in. I am currently using acpi, but I'll try disabling it. I thought my box would be rediculously fast :cry:

Please help!
~blue666man
dragonian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: same issue of init taking forever... Reply with quote

blue666man wrote:
I'm having the same problem on a new install on my new box: Athlon64 3000+, nVidia 6600GT, 1GB PC3200, 2x Raptors in RAID 0.

The kernel loads pretty quickly, but ANYTHING that init does takes FOREVER; i'm talking 2-3 mins per line for things like "loading key mappings" it just gets worse for hot/cold plug and calculating dependencies. Even simple tasks like "setting user font" take well over 2 mins. As I'm typing this, init on my box is taking 3 minutes to "enable numlock on ttys" 3 MINUTES TO ENABLE NUMLOCK!!! Although, i do have to admit that I'm proud that I was able to get Gentoo installed and bootable for my first time EVER :D !

I did an install with the Stage 1 on 3 from scratch; 64-bit multilib enviroment. And yes, I double checked that the toolchain was updated and re-emerged b4 emerging system. I'm about to try a few speedups I found here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231170 , but I don't think that's going to do much concerning coldplugging, etc. When the system finally does boot (~45 mins), everything is slow, even when sshelling in. I am currently using acpi, but I'll try disabling it. I thought my box would be rediculously fast :cry:

Please help!
~blue666man

I still have to use acpi=ht otherwise it does not work. the keyboard also does not work. Passing this option to the kernel, and everything work flawlessly, (except for acpi, and things that depend on it). I have now re-compiled everything using the stage 1/3 method, and everything else works gret, just not acpi.

What motherboard do you have? I'm guessing that there is a problem in the bios.
blue666man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonian, you may very well be right, I have a chaintech VNF4 Ultra ZENITH VE (nForce 4 Ultra socket 939); which is still quite bleeding edge. I got the board 2 months ago and just noticed a new BIOS update came out, and I'll be trying it. I also just tried acpi=ht, it; along with the other tweaks DID help alot, but even the liveCD with noapci is still like watching paint dry. I did a memtest86 (passed) so I'm fairly certain that all the hardware is OK. I guess I'll give the BIOS update a shot... Thanks for your reply.

~blue666man
dragonian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue666man wrote:
but even the liveCD with noapci is still like watching paint dry.

I'm thinking that noacpi is prb very bad. Since the processor utilizes hypertransport, turning all acpi off is presumably very bad. acpi=ht turns it off except for the hypertransport.

when i set that option, my system works great, very fast. Nothing else seemed to help at all.
trinitrotoluene
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Problem solved w/o acpi=ht Reply with quote

Hey, I just got the same mobo as you. Updated to F3 BIOS and now I don't have to pass acpi=ht when booting. Boots up lickety-split!. The computer also completely shutsdown when I do a shutdown -h now. Before it'd stop after unmounting filesystems.
dragonian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just updated too, works great now. There was jsut another thread about it also.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: