problems after ext3 recovery
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattgerg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: problems after ext3 recovery Reply with quote

When I try to boot my computer, it tells me that the filesystem needs to be recovered from being shutdown improperly. This is strange because the last time I shut down my computer was then it was turned off in properly. This time, it was cleanly shutdown, but I've just started to get this error now. Upon booting, EXT3 recovers itself fine, and then mounts the file system as readonly, then when it tries to set the initial runlevel, it attempts to make some symlinks in /var/state and elsewhere, but the filesystem is still readonly! When it doesn't make those symlinks, then it gives abunch of errors because they are missing in later steps, and then will not boot.

I can boot from a cd and get the filesystem mounted, but I have no idea how to go about fixing this problem once I am there.... any help or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is the output I am getting... I had to boot and write it all down by hand... I haven't written anything that long by hand in I don't know how long... :roll:

Code:

EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 72k freed
INIT: version 2.84 booting

/sbin/rc: /var/state/init.d/softlevel: Read-only file system
install: cannot create directory '/var/state/init.d/failed' : Read-only file system
install: cannot create directory '/var/state/init.d/softscripts.new' : Read-only file system

From then on, it tries to create symlinks in those two directories to a bunch of stuff in /etc.... but... they don't exist, so it doesn't work....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is this a kernel problem? I am running 2.4.19
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some of your scripts in /etc got hosed. Try booting off the install cd, chrooting to your drive, and doing an "emerge baselayout". This fixed some similar kind of problems for me.
mattgerg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I try to emerge baselayout, it starts, but then errors out partly through saying that there is no /etc/filesystems. There is one, but it is blank, so possibly this file has been messed up somehow. Could anyone give me some help creating a new one??
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: