Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Setting up Raid0 AFTER install (can it be done?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Setting up Raid0 AFTER install (can it be done?) Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I've been at this for 3 days now, trying to move my install from an old ata100 ibm drive to 2x seagate sata drives setup in raid0.

It's so close I can taste it

Can this be done?? Every post I've seen on this covers a fresh install of gentoo with raid0.. well my install is current and works fantastic, except I'm trying to move the install to the raid0 setup.

Anyone found a How-To for us folks that are moving to sata w/raid0 post install?
Apewall
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge the only way to do it is to do a complete new install.
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apewall wrote:

Total rubbish! From my experience it was easy as heck to do with a running system. Bear in mind that I had an existing system running off a 120GB SATA disk, I just wanted to add another identical SATA disk and turn them into a RAID-1 setup. I'm not infront of my boxes right now, but the process was something like this:

1. Create a grub boot disk containing current working grub.conf (see the grub docs) - this ensures you can still boot if you trash your MBR and/or grub.conf - test this diskette, you WILL need it.

2. Rebuild & test kernel using /proc/config.gz ensuring that all relevant RAID elements are built IN (and not modules) - if you go the module route you'll need to have an initrd image containing all these modules so that your kernel can use your root filesystem.

3. Partition the new drive identically to the existing one & create your new RAID-1 volume(s) (I used mdadm for software RAID, so I had to emerge mdadm first ... ) and add ONLY the new disk. For me I added sdb1, 2 & 3 -- giving me md1, 2 & 3. Running cat /proc/mdstat showed each of these as 2/1 (eg. only 1 disk present)

4. If you're in the same boat as I was (eg, new & existing disks of identical sizes), you can now just dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/md1 for each of your partitions. Otherwise you'll need to mkfs.ext3 or whatever fs you use and then rsync -aPv across everything except /proc/*

6. Shutdown and remove or disconnect your 1st (existing non RAID, for me this was /dev/sda1) disk and configure your 2nd disk as master if you're using IDE - this is automatic for SATA

7. Boot with boot diskette, tell it (modify to reflect your system)
Code:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage-2.6.11-blah.img root=/dev/md3
boot

This should now boot your system off your new (degraded, single disk) RAID

8. Modify your boot loaders config to reflect your new primary disk and install it on your new disk (now /dev/sda )

9. reboot without floppy verifying that your new boot loader config works

10. when satisfied, shutdown, add your old disk as secondary, boot, fdisk it identically to your RAID drive and hot add it to your RAID array.

11. Welcome to your new dual disk RAID-1 system >:)

The beauty of this is that until step 10, you've not adversely affected your working system, so you always have a working situation to revert to until you've ironed out the problems.

Misanthropy 2.0 - enough hate to go around
Muddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrUlterior wrote:
Apewall wrote:

Total rubbish! From my experience it was easy as heck to do with a running system. Bear in mind that I had an existing system running off a 120GB SATA disk, I just wanted to add another identical SATA disk and turn them into a RAID-1 setup. I'm not infront of my boxes right now, but the process was something like this:

1. Create a grub boot disk containing current working grub.conf (see the grub docs) - this ensures you can still boot if you trash your MBR and/or grub.conf - test this diskette, you WILL need it.

2. Rebuild & test kernel using /proc/config.gz ensuring that all relevant RAID elements are built IN (and not modules) - if you go the module route you'll need to have an initrd image containing all these modules so that your kernel can use your root filesystem.

3. Partition the new drive identically to the existing one & create your new RAID-1 volume(s) (I used mdadm for software RAID, so I had to emerge mdadm first ... ) and add ONLY the new disk. For me I added sdb1, 2 & 3 -- giving me md1, 2 & 3. Running cat /proc/mdstat showed each of these as 2/1 (eg. only 1 disk present)

4. If you're in the same boat as I was (eg, new & existing disks of identical sizes), you can now just dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/md1 for each of your partitions. Otherwise you'll need to mkfs.ext3 or whatever fs you use and then rsync -aPv across everything except /proc/*

6. Shutdown and remove or disconnect your 1st (existing non RAID, for me this was /dev/sda1) disk and configure your 2nd disk as master if you're using IDE - this is automatic for SATA

7. Boot with boot diskette, tell it (modify to reflect your system)
Code:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage-2.6.11-blah.img root=/dev/md3
boot

This should now boot your system off your new (degraded, single disk) RAID

8. Modify your boot loaders config to reflect your new primary disk and install it on your new disk (now /dev/sda )

9. reboot without floppy verifying that your new boot loader config works

10. when satisfied, shutdown, add your old disk as secondary, boot, fdisk it identically to your RAID drive and hot add it to your RAID array.

11. Welcome to your new dual disk RAID-1 system >:)

The beauty of this is that until step 10, you've not adversely affected your working system, so you always have a working situation to revert to until you've ironed out the problems.

Hmmm... how would this be altered for Raid0 ??
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've got 3 disks, right? One ata - old one with a complete install of gentoo, and two more - sata?
If so, I can't see a point of asking such a question...
Apewall
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fault, i read the original question wrong, i thought he had it already reinstalled on one of the SATA drives.

I'd still recommend a fresh install to be clean, but thats a user preference:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: