snd-intel8x0 and alsasound starting/stopping problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: snd-intel8x0 and alsasound starting/stopping problem Reply with quote

Hi !

I have a Dell Optiplex GX150 with and intel (on-board, I suppose... ?!?) and it's hard to have it functionning at every boot... Sometimes it works perfectly, most of the time I've got the message
Code:
ERROR: alsactl not found!

I've read already some posts on the subject, but I want to point this out: I remove the alsasound script from boot level, reboot my computer. KDE complained about non-existing /dev/dsp (ok) and, as root, I launched
Code:
/etc/init.d/alsasound start
and the answer was
Code:
ALSA driver is already running.
... I see in /proc that /proc/asound was already present (the beginning of alsasound is a test about that directory).
So, here is my question, should this directory exists after a reboot (whitout alsasound in the runlevels) ? (I presume it should not, but I may be wrong...)
If not, what's wrong with me or the computer or my gentoo installlation?

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated, thanks by advance.
al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you even got the snd-intel8x0 driver to load.

I have the same onboard sound chip which alsa refuses to install the driver for.It gives me an error about "unknown sound card".

I can however load the free oss driver intel8xo_audio but kde refuses to start the sound mixer with it!

I gave up and stuck a soundblaster live card in.It runs fine with the free oss driver & works fine with kde and fluxbox.
pablo_pita
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: it works fine with me Reply with quote

I use alsa with the latests gentoo-sources kernel, and I have the driver snd-intel8x0 as a kernel module. This is my list of sound related modules which the kernel loads:

snd-mixer-oss 13112 1 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-intel8x0 19328 30
snd-pcm 64288 14 [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer 11784 0 [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec 30724 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-mpu401-uart 3520 0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi 14528 0 [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device 4284 0 [snd-rawmidi]
snd 29356 28 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore 3972 3 [snd]

As an advice: check the logs in /var/log for any messages that could be related to your problems.
pat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I put alsasound back into boot runlevel. After reboot, the script failed wiht the classic error aslactl no found... But /dev/dsp is existing so KDE don't complains on start up. I could not find any revelant message in the logs. (I already knew all things I've found.)

The only thing I remeber is that have done an emerge world update to get from kde3 to kde3.1, but I'm not sure it also updated alsa-driver and alsa-lib. I tried to energe the rc2 version instead of rc6. But /etc/init.d/alsasound restart gave me:
Code:
* Shutting down ALSA modules....
/usr/sbin/alsactl: /usr/lib/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/sbin/alsactl)
snd-mixer-oss: Device or resource busy
snd-intel8x0: Device or resource busy
snd-ac97-codec: Device or resource busy
snd-pcm: Device or resource busy
snd-timer: Device or resource busy
snd-mpu401-uart: Device or resource busy
snd-rawmidi: Device or resource busy
snd-seq-device: Device or resource busy
snd: Device or resource busy                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * ALSA driver is already running.

The line /usr/sbin/alsactl: /usr/lib/libasound.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/sbin/alsactl) is intringuing me. What does it mean?
List of the libasound.so files on my computer:
Code:
/usr/lib/libasound.so  /usr/lib/libasound.so.1  /usr/lib/libasound.so.2  /usr/lib/libasound.so.2.0.0

Any suggestion is welcomed :) Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: