installation down the drain? rebooted and no menu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waffle_Fry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: installation down the drain? rebooted and no menu Reply with quote

Hi i just got done installing gentoo and went through creating GRUB and then rebooted and i didnt get the GRUB menu screen. It automatically booted Win xp. Then i went back into gentoo using the install cd and try to look at the grub.conf and its not there....Can someone explain what i did wrong? or how to get it back? Do i have to go through the entire install again? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mod edit: split off a post by ooosb that had nothing to do with the thread.
amne
hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to do it all over again. Boot from the livecd, mount your partitions - root filesystem as /mnt/gentoo and the boot partition as /mnt/gentoo/boot. If you can't find your Grub files in /mnt/gentoo/boot, try unmounting /mnt/gentoo/boot and see if they're there. It happens that people forget to mount and use the /boot partition, so the Grub files end up in the /boot directory on the root partition.

Håkan
erikm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it sounds very much like you just forgot to install grub stage 1, i.e. the MBR entry pointing to where the actual boot loader, grub stage 2, is. Boot from the install CD, do
Code:
# grub
This brings up the grub command prompt. Now type
Code:
grub> root (hd0,0)
if your boot partition (where the kernel and boot loader and all that is) is the first on the first harddrive, /dev/hda1 in Linux language. For instance, a boot partition on /dev/hdb3 would require you to type
Code:
grub> root (hd1,2)
To make sure you did this correctly, you can type (and remember that grub supports bash-completion)
Code:
grub> kernel /<yourkernelname>
You should not get an error message. Finally, you do
Code:
grub> setup (hd0)
if your boot partition is on /dev/hda. This installs stage 1 to the MBR. Note, that if boot sector virus protection is enabled in the BIOS this will not work; you must disable it. That's all, type quit and reboot.
Waffle_Fry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which directory should i be in to execute GRUB? to the get command prompt grub> ?
Waffle_Fry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i did find the grub in the /mnt/gentoo/boot folder after i mounted both the hdb1 and hdb3. where or what folder should i be executing the grub stuff in? it says grub: command not found
Thanks.
ooosb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh it did. this mofo is a friend of mine.
erikm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible grub isn't on the CD. If you have grub installed, you should get the prompt by typing grub anywhere in your system. You must of course be chrooted into your root partition first, though.

I would boot from the cd, and do the following:
Code:

# cd / && mkdir -p mnt && mkdir -p mnt/gentoo
# mount -t <your_root_fs> /dev/<your_root_partition> /mnt/gentoo && mount -t <your_boot_fs> /dev/<your_boot_partition> /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc && chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# source /etc/profile && env-update
# grub

Then follow my previous post. <your_root_fs> is the filesystem type you use in your root partition, such as ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs or whatever you use.
Waffle_Fry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u mean do all of this on the root folder? what do u mean by chrooted?
Waffle_Fry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i did all that and i got the grub prompt and entered in everything and when i rebooted i still didnt get the menu. i have everything for gentoo on hdb and windows is on hda so is this the correct syntax for the grub part?

grub> root (hd1, 0)

grub> setup (hd1)

Is the setup supposed to be on hdb or is it supposed to be on hda? Thanks
Griswold
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to reconfigure somethings. Go into your bios and change it to boot to your second drive (grub should come up). Tell us if grub comes up or not, and repost in this thread saying if windows and/or linux will boot using grub that way. If not, I can help you get it all sorted out. Shouldnt need to reinsatll or anything, just edit a few config files. :wink:
Waffle_Fry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i got grub to boot now and everything looks fine but when its done loading the files i get to

localhost login

i tried to use root and the password that i set using passwd and i get a login incorrrect? any suggestions? Thanks
Waffle_Fry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o yea also why is it localhost login? shouldnt it be just login?
erikm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see I didn't explain this properly; stage 1 should be on the harddrive you boot from first, depending on your BIOS setting. It still has to point to stage 2 correctly, though. If you have Windows on hda I would put that first, otherwise you need to do some additional grub configuration...
To chroot means you enter a system from another OS (like the CD) and start using its environment instead; you set its root directory as the top, source its path etc. If you followed my post above that is precisely what you did.
If by the login you mean the usual bash prompt when the boot process finishes, it says 'localhost' because you have not set the hostname. Edit /etc/conf.d/hostname and do
Code:
# rc-update add hostname default && /etc/init.d/hostname start
once you are logged in. You can set your root password by booting from the CD, chrooting into your gentoo like before, and typing 'passwd'.
Waffle_Fry
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i did a stage 3 install. Well it looks as though everything is fine for linux but when i try to boot up windows xp i get a black screen with some of the code from the grub.conf. but when i looked for the grub config file i cant find it? where is it?
Tamsco
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be in a directory called grub on your boot partition. Mount /boot and cd to /boot/grub/. You should see a grub.conf.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: