Need Help Plz Read!!!! (Details Inside)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linux_addict
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Need Help Plz Read!!!! (Details Inside) Reply with quote

Ok ive just spent aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall day installing Gentoo. Well after i finally got to reboot and sign in under root to set it all up i still have no gui or anything......lol but im sure with in later in teh manual ill be able to get it........aaaanyways The first part is Updating the portage tree with "emerge --sync".......well main prob is it wont connect....and i tried other ones for downloadin crap and nothign will connect.......so i went back to that file where you configure your network and set some stuff to dchp .....i reset everything and tried some diff stuff but still dont work.........dont even know if thats what i should of done.......but i really really need some help here so pllzzz help me! Thankyou i appreciate it!.....
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Plz Read!!!! (Details Inside) Reply with quote

linux_addict wrote:
Ok ive just spent aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall day installing Gentoo.

Consider yourself lucky.
Depending on your system it may take maaany days.

linux_addict wrote:
Well after i finally got to reboot and sign in under root

You mean "log in as root".
At least, I hope so.

linux_addict wrote:
to set it all up i still have no gui or anything...

Yes you do - you have a complete functional operating system.
A GUI is just eyecandy.

linux_addict wrote:
...lol but im sure with in later in teh manual ill be able to get it........aaaanyways The first part is Updating the portage tree with "emerge --sync".......well main prob is it wont connect...

You don't have a network connection.
Search the forums - it's pretty much the most common problem after installing.

linux_addict wrote:
.and i tried other ones for downloadin crap and nothign will connect....

Crap in == crap out... you should know that.

linux_addict wrote:
...so i went back to that file where you configure your network and set some stuff to dchp .....i reset everything and tried some diff stuff but still dont work...

Change what - check what - tried what ?
Unless you start actually speaking English - or some legible variant thereof - nobody can help you.
More importanty: nobody will want to.

linux_addict wrote:
......dont even know if thats what i should of done...

Then you haven't read the Handbook closely enough.

linux_addict wrote:
...but i really really need some help here so pllzzz help me! Thankyou i appreciate it!.....

Things I appreciate:
1) Writing English - or at least something approaching grammatically and syntactically correct English.
2) Actual information instead of "0h me g0d im so l33t i cant barely keep my pants dry NOW HELP ME".
3) Bunnies. (Sorry amne, I can't resist ticking off Anya)
linux_addict
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK first of all im new to linux. I know im lucky to get gentoo installed it was difficult but i did it. Plus when i said no Gui i know i have gentoo installed its just i like "eyecandy" cuz im new.When Im finally able to reboot and remove the cd and login in under root i still have more things to do in the document to get things setup. The first one is updating the portage tree. It tells me to type "emerge --sync", so i do that then it sets for a few seconds and comes back with a reply of it cant connect or somthing. Then it keeps on retrying and retrying, same with everything else i type in to download. So i think its this fle "/etc/conf.d/net". Ok about that network config file. Its "/etc/conf.d/net", this was the only file i could think of to go to, to try fixing this problem. Cuz earlier i remember reading it and setting it up but i guess i did somthing wrong. If you have a printed document of the Install Guide its page 41, and i have read this document closely on every step. Now this should be explaining myself good enough. Hope sombody can help thanks.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linux_addict wrote:
OK first of all im new to linux.

Well duh.

linux_addict wrote:
I know im lucky to get gentoo installed it was difficult but i did it.

That's not what I said - what I said was that you're lucky it only took ONE DAY.
If you have a functioning brain then of course you can install it.

linux_addict wrote:
Plus when i said no Gui i know i have gentoo installed its just i like "eyecandy" cuz im new.

I fail to see the correlation - possibly you meant "I need eyecandy because I'm used to WinDOS."

linux_addict wrote:
When Im finally able to reboot and remove the cd and login in under root i still have more things to do in the document to get things setup. The first one is updating the portage tree. It tells me to type "emerge --sync", so i do that then it sets for a few seconds and comes back with a reply of it cant connect or somthing.

Either it can't connect, or "something".
If it can't connect you have a network problem, if not then describe the "something".

linux_addict wrote:
Then it keeps on retrying and retrying, same with everything else i type in to download.

I usually don't repeat myself, but - well, duh.
You have a network problem.
Unlike WinDOS, these don't magically "go away".
Then again, also unlike WinDOS, they don't magically "appear", either.

linux_addict wrote:
So i think its this fle "/etc/conf.d/net".

That is where you set up most of your network, yes.
But you need to load the driver module for your network card first, or nothing will work.
Don't tell me you haven't run across the concept in WinDOS.

linux_addict wrote:
Ok about that network config file. Its "/etc/conf.d/net", this was the only file i could think of to go to, to try fixing this problem. Cuz earlier i remember reading it and setting it up but i guess i did somthing wrong.

If you suspect you did, post the contents and we'll see.

linux_addict wrote:
If you have a printed document of the Install Guide its page 41, and i have read this document closely on every step.

Great.
Two questions:
1. Have you also executed it carefully step by step ? and
2. Are you sure this is the Handbook to go with the LiveCD you used ? i.e. the 2005.0 Handbook for the 2005.0 LiveCD.

linux_addict wrote:
Now this should be explaining myself good enough.

Surprisingly enough, no it isn't.

To help you along some, we could really use:
- a clear description of which steps you took (following the Handbook) to get your network up and running,
- the contents of /etc/conf.d/net, or at least those bits you changed from the default,
- a play-by-play of the relevant steps in the Handbook, especially loading the module and getting networking started on boot
mcspiff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and maybe his dmesg lspci and lsmod couldnt hurt either. from both your system and the livecd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: