[SOLVED] how to get internet working without internet
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoOrdinary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] how to get internet working without internet Reply with quote

I'm installing Gentoo at my friend place from 2005.0 liveCD, peforming stage3 install. He's using wlan PCI network card with realtek 8180 chipset, and if my information is correct we should use rtl8180 driver. Package is masked and not on CD, but that's not the problem.
I checked what packages are needed with #emerge -pv rlt8180, reboot to windows he has on computer too, and downloaded those files from ftp. Problem is those files are newer then those in his local portage tree, but without working connecton he cant #emerge --sync, so even if they are in /usr/portage/distfiles emerge return file size error.
I have read all portage docs on gentoo page and tried my best with search on forum but didnt find out how to tell emerge to use those new files, should we emerge them like they are 3rd-party ebuilds, but I guess that will make problems with updating then? Thanks for help in advance.

edit: I just noticed I posted this in wrong part of forum, could some moderator move post please, sorry :)

Last edited by NoOrdinary on Mon May 30, 2005 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rawbeefman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get a notebook with wireless, pick up a signal, and then connect a cat5 between the two. Then use iptables to create a network bridge. Thats what I did. If you cant get that notebook, good luck.

- Eschmann
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several options are available. You can download a recent portage snapshot and extract that. That way you'll likely have an uptodate enough portage to emerge the new driver. Another possibillity is to add the new version to /etc/portage/package.keywords if the ebuild does exist, but is keyworded ~x86 instead of x86.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
NoOrdinary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, did just that. Downloaded files I needed from rsync mirror and we got net up and running, so now he's new happy Gentoo user already tweaking his system:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: