View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chr1z
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: java error at galeon start Reply with quote

Code:

chr1z:~% galeon
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /opt/blackdown-jre-1.3.1/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so [/opt/blackdown-jre-1.3.1/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so: undefined symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID]

any idea how to fix this?
chr1z
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any idea? this error is really annoying
i already reemerged java and galeon
does not help :cry:
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could very well be that you're running a GCC 3.x system...and that java stuff is compiled with 2.x. There are lots of threads out there about this specific problem. What solved it for me was (in short):
Code:

emerge -C motif
emerge sun-j2sdk

and when sun-j2sdk is finished :

emerge motif

(but it takes a loong time to compile)
chr1z
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i compiled everthing with my GCC 3.x system so that can't be the point
lsiden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Mozilla 1.2.1 can't load Java plugin Reply with quote

If I emerge Mozilla (net-www/mozilla-1.2.1-r5) , it wouldn't load the Java plugin, but if I download Mozilla 1.2.1 from the mozilla.org (or mirror) and build it, it works. "gcc --version" responds with "... 3.2".

The Blackdown JDK/JRE appear to be binary distributions pre-build with gcc < 3.2 and the Portage Moz distribution is clearly built on my machine with gcc 3.2. So it makes sense that there might be an incompatibility. But that doesn't explain why download Moz from mozilla.org and building it does work, unless that distribution is also pre-built with gcc < 3.2.

Anyway, I'm following the advice of b-llwyd and building sun-j2sd and motif (why Motif??), so I'm hoping all will be well when it's finished. (I will be away from home tonight so I won't know until I return tomorrow morning). X-ing my fingers!!!
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm too lazy to search for the threads I had in mind, but there is a problem with a libX* file that Motif applies to the system...if you try to build java against that libX* file, it wont work. You have to unmerge Motif first, to make sure you're building java against the other version of libX*. Or something along that line.

The name of the lib file isn't libX*, of course, but rather something else that I do not remember atm :)
chr1z
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i try:
Code:

root@stasibase:/home/chr1z% emerge sun-j2sdk
Calculating dependencies /
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=virtual/jdk-1.4" have been masked.
!!!    (dependency required by "dev-java/sun-j2sdk-1.4.0-r2" [ebuild])

!!! Error calculating dependancies. Please correct.

there is no entry >=virtual/jdk-1.4 in my packages.mask

also
Code:

root@stasibase:/home/chr1z% emerge -C motif

!!! Couldn't find match for motif

>>> unmerge: No packages selected for removal.
lsiden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have Motif in the first place. Ya mean I didn't have to build it at all! :(

;)
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chr1z wrote:
when i try:

Code:

root@stasibase:/home/chr1z% emerge sun-j2sdk
Calculating dependencies /
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=virtual/jdk-1.4" have been masked.
!!! (dependency required by "dev-java/sun-j2sdk-1.4.0-r2" [ebuild])

!!! Error calculating dependancies. Please correct.

there is no entry >=virtual/jdk-1.4 in my packages.mask

also
Code:

root@stasibase:/home/chr1z% emerge -C motif

!!! Couldn't find match for motif

>>> unmerge: No packages selected for removal.

I recently discovered the trick:
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge sun-j2sdk

which lets you accept development builds ("unstable" builds) on a per-app basis. (not sure why, but as you noticed - the package doesn't show up in the package.mask file) Also, you might want to try the /usr/portage/dev-java/sun-j2sdk/sun-j2sdk-1.4.1.ebuild as there might be new stuff in 1.4.1 you need. I'm not sure about this, though. (I am using 1.4.1, and it worked for me)
lsiden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recently discovered the trick:
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge sun-j2sdk

which lets you accept development builds ("unstable" builds) on a per-app basis. (not sure why, but as you noticed - the package doesn't show up in the package.mask file) Also, you might want to try the /usr/portage/dev-java/sun-j2sdk/sun-j2sdk-1.4.1.ebuild as there might be new stuff in 1.4.1 you need. I'm not sure about this, though. (I am using 1.4.1, and it worked for me)

Can you explain to a Gentoo/Portage newbie what's the diff between /usr/portage/dev-java/sun-j2sdk/sun-j2sdk-1.4.1.ebuild and "emerge sun-j2sdk" when you already currently have 1.4.1 installed? Does "emerge .../sun-j2sdk.ebuild" build a different version than the one you already have installed?

If you want to try to build a newer version, wouldn't
Quote:
ebuild rsync
ebuild sun-j2sdk

be the commands to do that?

Respectfully,
ls[/quote]
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to Isiden:
If you do an emerge -s sun-j2sdk you will see that the "Latest version available" is 1.4.0-r2. This is the latest version of the program (or the ebuild) that the portage maintainers consider as 'stable'. There are probably one or two newer versions available in the ebuild directory, but they haven't gone through as thorough testing as the 'stable' version.

The ebuild directory for sun-j2sdk is /usr/portage/dev-java/sun-j2sdk, and in that directory, all current sun-j2sdk ebuilds sit.

If you do a
Code:
emerge sun-j2sdk
you're asking portage to emerge the latest sun-j2sdk they consider as stable. In my case, emerge sun-j2sdk is the same as emerge /usr/portage/dev-java/sun-j2sdk/sun-j2sdk-1.4.0-r2.ebuild.

In order to emerge a newer version than the one considered as stable, you have to tell portage to accept 'bleeding edge' versions - this is exactly what you do with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86". In short, you're telling portage "ok, i dont care what you consider as stable, i want the latest version, and i want it now".

If you already have a 'bleeding edge' version of, for example, sun-j2sdk installed (a version number higher than the one considered stable), a simple emerge sun-j2sdk would probably downgrade your installation to the stable version. Be aware of this.

As I showed, you can put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" on the same line as the emerge command, thus telling portage "for THIS program, and THIS time, you should emerge the bleeding edge version". If you want to treat your whole portage tree the same, you can put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" on a new line in your /etc/make.conf. Think twice, and think again before you do this though. It just might make your system 'bleed' like never before :)

ps. I do not subscribe to the truths of the universe. This might or might now be somewhat incorrect. Please let us know what you think.
lsiden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your generous reply. But let me get back to my main task: getting the java-plugin to work in Mozilla.

Here's what I currently have:
sun-jdk-1.4.1.01
mozilla-1.2.1-r5

I soft-linked libjavaplugin_osi.so into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (actually, /usr/lib/nsbrowsers/plugins, do to /usr/lib/mozilla being a soft-link), and it still isn't working.

What do you recommend that I try now?

BTW - I did get it to work when I downloaded the stable Mozilla 1.2.1 from mozilla.org and installed it myself. But I'm a Gentoo newbie and am afraid to corrupt my Portage database or let it get out-of-sync with what's actually on my system, so I went back to getting the Gentoo distribution of Moz 1.2.1, and those have the problem.

Curious that one works but not the other, since the problem is said to be caused b/c Moz and libjavaplugin_osi.so were built with gcc versions. However, both the Portage install of Moz and my own install of Moz presumably are using the same compiler on when they build Moz on my system - gcc 3.2. So I can't figure out why one works and the other doesn't?

With thanks,
Perplexed in Ann Arbor
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: