View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: nVidia TwinView with TV + framebuffer console issue Reply with quote

I've read quite a few posts here about TwinView issues, but I'm not sure if anyone is having quite the same problem as I am:

I use an LCD connected with DVI and a TV connected with S-video to my MSI Geforce FX 5900. I'd like to have X send a signal to both displays when I'm in 640x480 or 800x600, but send a signal to the LCD only when I'm in 1024x768 or higher. I seem to have this working:
Code:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "nVidia"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option      "CursorShadow" "1"
    Option      "NoLogo" "1"
    Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option      "CursorShadow" "true"
    Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"

Option      "TwinView"
    Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, TV"
    Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
    Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"

Option      "HorizSync" "DFP-0: 31-82; TV-0: 30-50"
    Option      "VertRefresh" "DFP-0: 65-75; TV-0: 60"

Option      "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1280x1024, TV-0: NULL; DFP-0: 1024x768, TV-0: NULL; DFP-0: 800x600, TV-0: 800x600; DFP-0: 640x480, TV-0: 640x480"
EndSection

However, when I switch back to a console (either with Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] or by killing X), my LCD goes blank with an 'Out of Sync Range' message and my TV displays large green blocks that look like extremely pixelated text. (Think graphics glitch on an old 8-bit game console.)

I believe I've read of people experiencing a strange garbled display like this, but it's usually on their main display, not a TV. I think my video card / driver is actually considering my LCD as the 'second' display and my TV as the 'first', for some reason -- this is why I explicitly labeled the modes in my MetaModes string.

I'm running:
    gentoo-sources 2.6.11-r9 (with VESA framebuffer enabled)
    xorg-x11 6.8.2-r1
    nvidia-kernel 1.0.7174
    nvidia-glx 1.0.7174-r4

Also, I set my framebuffer to run at 800x600, which my TV can handle. It can boot fine while displaying the 800x600 console on the TV, so I see no reason why it shouldn't come back to a console from X.

Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: