Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto/Support UPDATED 5/10/05! (old)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smcwhtdtmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have it working with wine-20050419?

Personally, compile fails with a few iterations of Incorrect register `%r12' used with `l' suffix It's an amd64 thing from what I can tell (there's a similar problem with xine-ui on the forums). Any ideas on this?

(edit: wine-20050310 fails the same way... damn that inline 32 bit assembly code
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smcwhtdtmc wrote:

Personally, compile fails with a few iterations of Incorrect register `%r12' used with `l' suffix It's an amd64 thing from what I can tell (there's a similar problem with xine-ui on the forums). Any ideas on this?

(edit: wine-20050310 fails the same way... damn that inline 32 bit assembly code

Wine must be crosscompiled in a 32bit environment... it won't work compiled with a 64bit toolchain. I saw instructions on how to do this somewhere, but I forget where... a google search would turn it up I'm sure.
Lucky B
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

switch to the 2005.0 profile and recompile your toolchain cleanly (ie. double emerge -e system)
ackward
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smcwhtdtmc wrote:

Yes I do and with an amd64. Just be sure to upgrade nicely to 2005.0 and with multilib support (check the amd64 forum and the multiple posts about migrating to 2005.0).
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewMadMax wrote:
Darckness:

Yeah, I was running wine with opengl enabled. I even tried re-emerging it like so:

Quote:
USE="opengl" emerge wine

but still no joy. Where is wine supposed to find those dlls? The only ones I have listed after doing a locate (yes, I have run updatedb just beforehand) are the ones in my XP mount, and an opengl32.dll included as part of cedega.

Thanks,

--D

Assuming you've definately worked around the AMD64 problems (briefly, Wine isn't designed for 64-bit systems and needs to be cross-compiled, as somebody said earlier), do you have the opengl development files installed? If you're using an Nvidia card, you'll need something like nvidia-glx-dev - I don't know exactly what it's called in Gentoo though. Try looking in /usr/include/GL/ and see if you have a set of header files there.
DrewMadMax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the problem is with the amd64/32 bit problems, as I can run notepad.exe from my winXp install with no problems ( I did check the begining of the build process, and it did say that it was NOT going to cross-compile, but there was a cross-compiler present.. I haven't been able to figure out how to tell it to cross-compile).

I checked /usr/include/GL, and there were some header files present (the correct install for nvidia is nvidia-glx). One thought is that maybe I need the files provided by emul-linux-x86-nvidia (which happens to be masked atm), but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewMadMax: Wine does not provide opengl32.dll, but uses a linux library (/usr/lib/wine/opengl32.dll.so) instead which provides the same functionality. If it isn't being found, then you have something wrong with your wine install. You might want to talk to ackward since he seems to have it working on amd64 as well.

People who are STILL having problems: Can you post again with your problem and a link to a dll trace of wine when it fails? If it fails before wine actually starts, post the problem you're having with that. I just want to know whose problems have been solved and whose haven't. Thanks.

As for cvscedega, I can't really provide support for this as I have never used it. Try the TG forums or somesuch.

EDIT: Updating howto...

EDIT #2: Howto has been updated.
DrewMadMax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a bit further.. I needed to make a symlink from /usr/lib64/wine to point to /usr/lib32/wine (where the dll.so files were located), although I'm not sure if that is the right idea. I also made sure that those dll.so files were updated with my last install, and they were. Here is the output now:

Quote:
err:module:import_dll Loading library OPENGL32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\mcraeaa\\.transgaming\\c_drive\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe") failed (error c0000020).
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\mcraeaa\\.transgaming\\c_drive\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe" failed, status c0000135

ackward: when you installed wine, did it say that it was cross-compiling? Was there anything special you needed to do when installing it?

I'll keep messing with it.. I'm probably missing something silly.
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrewMadMax wrote:

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\mcraeaa\\.transgaming\\c_drive\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe" failed, status c0000135

This line makes me very suspicious that it is indeed a 32/64 bit problem, since it mentions thunking, though it's possible this is just a co-incidence. I'm also rather troubled by what you said about the .so files being in lib64, and the build process not cross-compiling.
(A little on thunking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunk#OS.2F2_.26_Windows_16-bit_Address_hack).
DrewMadMax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .so files were actually in /usr/lib32/wine. I think the problem was that /usr/lib pointed to /usr/lib64, and that wine was looking in /usr/lib (which was actually /usr/lib64), and not able to find them. So, I created a symlink, and got a bit further.
SDraconis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darckness: Unfortunately, I am stuck on a specific kernel due to my IDE RAID controller drivers (2.4.30).

Septor: Okay, I am currently using the same setup as you with the new ATI drivers and patched ebuild of wine-20050419. Now I can load up the game without corruption with the extension still enabled, and have no problems entering the world. However, now my framerate is horrible in-game (2.2 FPS or so using CTRL+R inside of WoW). It gets slow to the point where even typing for in-game chat or moving the mouse cursor is lagged. I made sure to run opengl-update after installing the new drivers and fglrxinfo does show ATI and not Mesa. I tested that hardware accelerationg was working with glxgears and I am getting framerates in the 3000's. Nothing seems slow until I actually enter the world.

This is really puzzling as things were working faster with the older ATI drivers and Wine from CVS. Any ideas?

For extra info, I actually had to reinstall Gentoo because a scripting error deleted some important stuff. However, I installed the same software and kept the same Wine and Xorg config files. WoW is still the same since it is mounted from a Windows partition. Only difference that I can think of is the ATI drivers and CVS patched from Portage ebuild rather than CVS.
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDraconis:
It can be slow for me too... but usually only when new objects need to load. Normal play isn't too bad, but not nearly up to par with Windows. I am certainly getting better than 2FPS I think though... Try setting your terrain distance to about 50%. You should be able to leave everything else on max (even shaders should work fine). You could try to disable the VBO extension (even though it should be fixed), at least then we would know if your framerates improve or not (but I doubt it). Are you running wine nice'd? if so, make sure you don't have another process that is sucking CPU time away from wine due to process priority.

One extension you probably should filter out is "GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap". I don't know if WoW uses this extension a lot or not, but it does use it... this is the extension that causes the famous Neverwinter Nights memory leak with the ATI drivers. And is also the reason I wrote the filter_ext library in the first place. I usually run wine with this extension filtered out.

Darckness: Can you update the HOWTO to reflect that the vertex buffer object extension does not need to be filtered out for ATI users with 8.12.10 or new driver version. 8.12.10 should probably be the currently reccommend driver version in my opinion since it fixes many issues (UT2004, VBO extension, etc). Thanks!
Jamal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i am working for 3 days to run WoW with cedega 4.3-1! My hardware is: Athlon XP 1800+, ATI Radeon 8500 and 1024 MB DDR RAM
If i start WoW "cedega WoW.exe" I get a critical Error, which says: "Error #132: The memory could not be 'read'"

I really have tried nearly everything, but nothing changed....:/

the same Error appers, on typing this: "wine WoW.exe -opengl"
But there, the Shell tells me:
Code:
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32\\" is not accessible.
Please use the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
to set the screen resolution and remove the "Resolution" entry in the config file
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer gl_version is: "1.3.5010 (X4.3.0-8.12.10)"
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer glx_exts is: "GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample "
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer gl_version is: "1.3.5010 (X4.3.0-8.12.10)"
fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer glx_exts is: "GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample "
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:user:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x4067f6c0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:user:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x4067f4dc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:user:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x4067fa7c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:user:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x4067fa7c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:user:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x4067f9e4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
fixme:user:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x4067f9d8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:user:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x4067f9e4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:msvcrt:_XcptFilter (-1073741819,0x4067ed68)semi-stub

Can anybody of you help me plz? :D
eyoeth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, i recently found this thread and read the thread and followed the how to's. What i have done is:

Installed ati-drivers and run fglrxconfig.
Emerged Wine with the patch and with opengl in USE.
Copied the dll files from a windows installation.
Installed Mozilla and the ActiveX Mozillacontrol.
Copied a World of Warcraft Installation from the windows computer.
And i have run "opengl-update xorg-x11".
And i can start wow up(with "wine WoW.exe -opengl", but i got around ½-1fps.

If i try glxgears i got around 350 fps, when i used debian and i got fglrx running i had much more, a couple of thousand fps. So i guess i dont got 3d acceleration, am i right? Or is it different in gentoo?
Garwin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyoeth wrote:

And i have run "opengl-update xorg-x11".

opengl-update ati might work better for opengl-performance and hardware acceleration, considering you own an ati-card.
eyoeth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried "opengl-update ati" instead, and now i get the same error as Jamal here above. Thank you anyway Garwin.
Jamal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use cedega or wine and get the same Error as I do?
SKLP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any solutions coming to the horrible sound issues?
eyoeth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamal wrote:
Do you use cedega or wine and get the same Error as I do?

I Use the Mars version of Wine (20050310, think its that version number) with the opengl patch. I checked some more replies in this thread and found a command ,fglrxinfo, and it said i use mesa. So i guess i dont got 3d acceleration. So i guess thats the problem. So maybe you should check that you too got 3d acceleration.
Jamal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I type "glxinfo | grep direct" there appears: "Direct rendering: Yes" And thats all, so dr is activated and runs...but I dunno, what else could bei wrong :/
I changed all my RAM Slots and tried with 2 different Rams, but no success...so there must be something else wrong :X
eyoeth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work now, i recompiled the kernel, re-emerged ati-drivers etc, dunno if that helped.
But one thing i think i changed now is: under Graphics Device in xorg.conf, i dont know that it stood fglrx under driver.

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ati9800"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    #VideoRam    131072
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Maybe you have to change that Jamal?

But now i got a new problem, the picture isnt correct, i see flickering(is it called that?). Some of the Background lays over the center and it changes all the time. I saw one post in the thread about it, but i dont think i saw a solution, anyone had this problem?
SDraconis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Septor wrote:

SDrakonis:
Download this file: http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=827&action=view and run winereg on it to disable the vertex buffer object extension. As I said previously though, this extension is not bugged in the ati-driver 8.12.10 ebuild, so I recommend you upgrade so you don't need to disable the extension.

I was trying to do this to disable VBO for testing as you said, but I don't have anything named winereg in my path. Last time, I thought that the way to do it was append this file to the end of ~/.wine/system.reg. What is the right way to do this?

Also, I have not been running wine niced. With sound enabled, I have no pops, glitches, or problems. I have tried it with sound disabled in the wine config file just in case as well. I have already had the terrain distance at 50%.

Observations:
-Filtering out GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap doesn't seem to make a difference FPS-wise either.
-The process that appears to be running WoW takes up 100% of one logical CPU when in world. (I am running a P4 2.8C with HT, I guess Wine sets a single CPU affinity rather than using SMP?)
-I noticed that the contents of the WDB folder in the Word of Warcraft folder were not being written to. Out of curiosity, I tried deleting the contents of the WTF, WDB, and Logs folders (aside from Config.wtf) to see if they were properly regenerated. The contents of WDB were not, which puzzles me. When I had tried the same thing in Windows, WDB's contents were regenerated. This may have something to do with the fact that WoW is on an NTFS partition, but I am using bind mounts to mount folders from my ext3 partition onto the WDB, WTF, and Logs folders. My user has correct write permissions to all of these, and it wasn't a problem last install

UPDATE: Moved things around so that it would actually have permissions to CREATE the WDB folder if needed, then deleted the WDB folder entirely. Loaded WoW and it did in fact create the WDB folder, just not the files inside of it. Maybe I'm looking too far into this and the WDB folder is not a problem, but it what you said about loading new objects made me think that perhaps it is not caching the objects it sees and thus constantly considering each object new. I think that the WDB folder is where these cache files go...

UPDATE 2: Got tired of waiting and used filter_ext rather than waiting for an answer on winereg. This seems to have done the trick...kind of. Now it doesn't run so slow that I can barely turn, but the FPS is still pretty low (6-10). I am going to do a length test now and see if I can still stay logged in for more than a few minutes, and then try Try2 + fixwow instead of Try6 if there's still a problem.

Last edited by SDraconis on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKLP wrote:

Have you tried this:

teidon wrote:
Then for those having sound issues:
There has been some sound issues even for Windows users and this little tweak has helped most (if not all) Windows users, so maybe it helps you Linux users too. I haven't had any issues with sounds but I did this little tweak when I first heard about it. Add this line to WTF/Config.wtf:
Quote:
SET SoundBufferSize "200"

You can try bigger values but don't change to something overly big, because that's the sound buffers length in milliseconds. If you set it to for example 1000, all the sounds will be played 1sec after the event (spell casting, weapon hit...) happened. I tryed to set it to 20 and the sounds messed pretty much completely.

I noticed that OSS is working better than ALSA, so in your wine config under [WinMM] change/make sure it is "Drivers" = "wineoss.drv". You don't need to be using OSS, but it's enough you have ALSA with OSS-emulation.
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDraconis:
Sorry the program name isn't winereg, it is regedit... but as I said, you should upgrade to ati-drivers 8.12.10 because then you wouldn't need either filter_ext or the registry hack!

Since you are not having sound problems, I was curious what sound card, driver (ALSA or OSS), Kernel version and config you are using. I get serious sound issues with both my SB Live! and nForce2 onboard sound... renicing or using the SoundBufferSize "200" is the only way to fix the problem. The SoundBufferSize "200" creates too much sound delay/lag so I just renice wine instead.
SKLP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teidon wrote:
SKLP wrote:

Have you tried this:

teidon wrote:
Then for those having sound issues:
There has been some sound issues even for Windows users and this little tweak has helped most (if not all) Windows users, so maybe it helps you Linux users too. I haven't had any issues with sounds but I did this little tweak when I first heard about it. Add this line to WTF/Config.wtf:
Quote:
SET SoundBufferSize "200"

You can try bigger values but don't change to something overly big, because that's the sound buffers length in milliseconds. If you set it to for example 1000, all the sounds will be played 1sec after the event (spell casting, weapon hit...) happened. I tryed to set it to 20 and the sounds messed pretty much completely.

I noticed that OSS is working better than ALSA, so in your wine config under [WinMM] change/make sure it is "Drivers" = "wineoss.drv". You don't need to be using OSS, but it's enough you have ALSA with OSS-emulation.
I actually thought about a real solution, not a dirty hack. I mean for wine to have as good sound as cedega or windows. Without nice:ing etc.
Why don't some good wine hacker just come up with a nice little patch? ;)
(No offense to the wine developers, they have done a really good job with wine as it is now IMHO).
But a sound system working as good as cedega with winealsa would be pretty nice.....

btw right now im playing wow with wine from like two weeks ago (cvs) + try6.
I'm using:
Code:
[WinMM]
"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"

[winealsa]
"UseMMap" = "Y"

[dsound]
"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"

I start wine with nice -n 19 wine...
If i don't i get horrible sound issues. Even worse with wineoss, and no sound at all without "HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation".

This solution/hack works pretty well, except for when switching to other apps (they then make audio very "choppy").

Oh, and the only issues im having except for this is:

- The bugs in the windows version of WoW when using opengl mode causing no hw cursor and the position bug (stuff thats supposed to be on the floor is displayed just under it making them invisible in most cases)

- The wow fullscreen window getting moved down a bit if i switch to another workspace cause of gnome-panel.
(Easily "fixed" by running xcompmgr and quitting it, cause of the bug with it and gnome that makes windows movable/maxizable over gnome-panel.)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: