stage 1 questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dec0der
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: stage 1 questions Reply with quote

Linux Gentoo 2005.0
i686 architecture

Hello ! Although I have installed Gentoo before .. it was always Stage 3 installs (mostly because of bad Internet connection , but this has changed) , and now I've decided to do a Stage 1 install .

question #1: What knowledge is needed to get the very best out of a Gentoo Linux Stage 1 install ? (custom kernel building, cflags .. ??) What should I be familiar with ? Wich tutorials should I be reading/memorising/printing ?

question #2: Besides the "Installing Gentoo" section in the Gentoo Handbook , what other tutorials should I have handy during and immediatly after the installation ? ("more" during-install configuration , immediat after-install securing etc. ?)

I'm trying to follow something like:

- installation , fully optimised to my architecture and needs , followed by:
- immediat post-install security measures and other needed configuration , resulting in:

A fully configured, fast, stable and *secure* Linux Box, wich only needs : software installation, updating, maintainance .

I would appreciate it if you could give me information on what I need to know in order to be able to achieve this. Links to tutorials would be highly appreciated too.

The system will turn out in a development workstation / desktop .

Thank you for your attention !
aka.doode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definately no expert, but I have installed Gentoo several times.

Quote:
question #1: What knowledge is needed to get the very best out of a Gentoo Linux Stage 1 install ? (custom kernel building, cflags .. ??) What should I be familiar with ? Wich tutorials should I be reading/memorising/printing ?

The Gentoo Handbook basically covers everything you need to know to install Gentoo Linux, unless you're experiencing problems with your hardware setup that is. My suggestion is that you search the forums for information about you hardware. I didn't do it, but I wish I had. If your computer has a motherboard with integrated chips such as sound, nic and graphics you should definately search the forums. RAID might also cause problems unless you know what you're doing.
Just make sure you have a text mode browser available (such as links). That way there's no need to print anything, and you'll even be able to search the forums if you need to! ;)

Quote:
question #2: Besides the "Installing Gentoo" section in the Gentoo Handbook , what other tutorials should I have handy during and immediatly after the installation ? ("more" during-install configuration , immediat after-install securing etc. ?)

Depends on what you want to do with your computer, but besides everything in the Gentoo Handbook, I recommend the following sets of links:
Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources
System Administration Documentation

Cheers!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: